Treat Ball

BOWS28

Visit site
My little fatty mare really benefits from having her treat ball when we're having restricted turnout. I normally put some balancer in it (lo-cal balancer) but a bag of this is quite pricey. She survives on thin air and only has a handful of chaff and a cup of balancer in each feed, only feed to get supplements in, plus soaked hay. So my question is - what can i put in her treat ball that won't cost me an arm and a leg AND won't add to the already well rounded belly??

Gazen

Visit site
Probably not the best thing to put in but they are relatively cheap - Baileys Tasty Treats - 5kg tub for about £6. We also put in chopped carrot and apple. Keeps my horse entertained for hours.

Nasicus

Visit site
I use either High Fibre nut or Haycobs, whatever I have around. I also stuff a large pinch of hay in there to slow down the rate at which they come out :)

BOWS28

Visit site
Not sure how i feel about a hayball... They seem pretty expensive for what they are?? I have got some High Fibre Nuts being delivered today :) Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!!

J&S

Visit site
My old retired coloured mare is so delicate with her treat ball, just a little shove, there is a nut or two, then another little shove, hardly any noise. The new "companion" pony is quite a different character though, she uses it like a first division footballer might use his foot ball! She gets sooo annoyed with it that her water bucket gets kicked over and the noise is dreadful! For this reason, and for her own humour I have reverted to putting a few nuts in a bucket. So, they don't last long but at least pony is happier!

Reactions: TPO

BOWS28

Visit site
Borrowed a fellow livery's hay ball over the weekend and the little lady is a HUGE fan!! I put her soaked hay in and it lasted her twice as long and if i'm honest, loved the fact she really had to work for it! Thank you poiuytrewq, for the suggestion! I have a lovely bright pink one on order :D

AGray825

Visit site
We put a small pot of cheap high fibre nuts (Hilight horse and pony cubes) in our horses balls. 3 of the 4 of them have the shires treat balls, but our Shetland was recently bought the Likit Snak-a-Ball and it's by far a better design and fantastic for not letting too many cubes out at once, you just can't use the bigger nugget treats in them.
Planning to upgrade all of the horses/ponies on to the Likit version eventually!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine adores his treat ball (and lickit holder) despite being a Welsh d who's scared of everything especially random bits of mud on the road or scuffed up sand in the school. He will even look out for his ball in the evening and know if he hasn't had it. Funnily he knew exactly how to use it straight away and I don't think hed ever had one before I got hin

I have the likit snack a ball too and as mentioned above it's a more economical design the decahedrons look like they have a much larger hole so hed find it too easy to get them out.

I just put some of the allocation of nuts that he has in his dinner in the treat ball instead, I won a lickit competition once and they gave me some of their treatball treats and he enjoyed those too but wouldn't use them often.

People on the yard who used to have the decahedrons would use chopped carrots but they'd have to be cut into circles and a) I have the smaller holed treat ball so they wouldn't come out and b) I've always been taught you should never cut carrots into circles as they are more likely to choke on them that way.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Those with the hayballs how do you have the patience to stuff them? I don't mind filling Haynets but it looks like you have to try and stuff the hay through the little holes in the hay ball unless it unscrews or anything think it would drive me potty having to pull apart the biscuits of hay to stuff it 😂

BOWS28

Visit site
Those with the hayballs how do you have the patience to stuff them? I don't mind filling Haynets but it looks like you have to try and stuff the hay through the little holes in the hay ball unless it unscrews or anything think it would drive me potty having to pull apart the biscuits of hay to stuff it 😂

I am no hayball professional, just yet... but there is a screw lid on the top that is about 3 times the size of the smaller holes. you stuff it in there and away you go :) Its easier to stuff with dry hay, but as my mare is a little fatty her soaked hay goes in! its been brilliant, i left a small haynet hanging up as well as the hay ball for her to come into, as i was due to be late down to the yard after work. All the yard staff said she went straight for the ball first and once finished, the haynet was eaten!