Treating mud fever

Char0901

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I have a 13yr old mare who was recently put in foal and circumstances mean that she needs to be turned out over 'summer'(!!)

She does however suffer from mud fever, particularly on her hind legs. Where she will be going has very good grass and the ground has held up very well over this very wet period. I am in the process of sorting out her current bout of mud fever that started while she was at stud and I don't want to get her back on track, just to turn her out and for it to happen again.

I know that there are boots etc, however it does worry me that if she gets mud inside these boots and/or it becomes very wet it could make it worse.

She is very good to handle and deal with so I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything that could help. (a mud barrier cream or spray etc)

I would be able to go to her a few times a week to apply cream (or anything else) however I would like to leave her be as much as possible so she can enjoy her summer break without being faffed with too much!

Any suggestions would be very helpful, I want to try and make sure she is as comfortable as possible.

Thanks!

Shay

Visit site
Personally I've found the boots an absolute nightmare. The mud gets up inside them and they rub. They are tolerable for short periods. But unless you are able to take them off and wash them at least twice a day they'll do more harm than good.

Try pig oil and sulphur. You can get them seperately from Robinsons or pre mixed from ebay. The oil keeps the mud off the legs for about 2 - 3 days depending on how wet it is. And the sulphur kills any bacteria which make it through. We have found it a godsend for our very mud fever prone cob.

Char0901

Visit site
Yes, I agree about the boots, think they will cause more problems.

Thanks for your suggestion, wouldn't have thought of that!
This forum is a god send for things like this!

Thanks again.

niamh

Visit site
Personally I've found the boots an absolute nightmare. The mud gets up inside them and they rub. They are tolerable for short periods. But unless you are able to take them off and wash them at least twice a day they'll do more harm than good.

Try pig oil and sulphur. You can get them seperately from Robinsons or pre mixed from ebay. The oil keeps the mud off the legs for about 2 - 3 days depending on how wet it is. And the sulphur kills any bacteria which make it through. We have found it a godsend for our very mud fever prone cob.
I thought I was the only one to use sulphur! (for about anything, lol. It is a godsend to pack dry into deep narrow cuts for example). I agree. Sulphur sublimed (yellow powder, not the white antibiotic powder for respiratory problems, though at a pinch that does too) mixed with any cream (it is a bit of a nightmare to mix in, probably easier with oil alright as it dissolves in it somewhat - though with cream you can slather more on the scabs)
Don't be shy with it. It kills everything.
It also works on any sorts of minor wounds

Personally I found all those fancy mud fever creams to be useless, including the much touted tea tree oil. It's just not strong enough.

sassyequine

Visit site
Completely agree with the udder cream. It stays on well and is safe for brood mare. I used it three years running on my brood mare who previously had such bad mud fever that she had ended up on steroids. It was the only thing that fixed and prevented it.

niamh

Visit site
Sulphur mixed into said cream will make it a lot more effective. Tried and tested a hundred times.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site

Just to add: do make sure you patch test it first esp if yours has white hair & pink skin coz my traddie came up very hot & sore when I used it, poor lad.