Treatment for sarcoids!

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
I was reading about the treatment of sarcoids on here a few weeks ago and for the life of me can't remember what thread it was but someone mentioned getting a cancer cream on prescription from tescos and it only cost about £26???

The reason I ask is because my friends horse has one and it has turned into the mother of all sarcoids!!! Rather than spend money on the thing she has butchered all the rugs so that the sarcoid doesn't get any worse (she is one of these people obsessed by putting millions of rugs on their horses). So I said I would try and find out the name of the cream as her vet has given her four possibilities of creams.....

alsiola

Visit site
So tell her to spend the 300 quid now and have the best chance of sorting it out, rather than take a second best option with much less chance of cure, and spending more money in the long run. Liverpool cream has the best cure rate of any treatment for sarcoids.

All the butchering of rugs in the world won't stop a sarcoid from getting worse if it wants to.

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
If it were me I would be spending the money and I wouldn't have rugged the horse up either!!! Cos it started off as a teeny weeny little thing and the rug seems to have irritated it......

I just said I'd ask to find out the name of it and then she was going to talk to another vet and see what she thought of it! Money is a bit tight at the moment and if the cream that the first vet is offering can be got cheaper then it would make life easier :)

First vet won't tell her the name of the cream he saying to use. Will mention to her about the liverpool cream, she was muttering about liverpool something or other so this could be it!! But seriously is it really that expensive???

alsiola

Visit site
It's not cheap, depends on the size of the sarcoid how much cream you will need. The major cost is because it has to be applied by the vet, and a large sarcoid will probably need 3-5 applications.
There are numerous other creams used, such as 5-fluorouracil, imiquimod (Aldara), blood root ointment with varying degree of success. All have lower success than liverpool cream though. Camrosa is used by some but I would stick well clear of it.
Best advice I can give is to get her vet to send photos to Derek Knottenbelt at Liverpool University - they have recently started charging (~£20 I think) for photo consultation, but for sarcoids no-one knows more. Get his advice and do what he says, anything else is false economy.

horsedreams

Visit site
It's not cheap, depends on the size of the sarcoid how much cream you will need. The major cost is because it has to be applied by the vet, and a large sarcoid will probably need 3-5 applications.
There are numerous other creams used, such as 5-fluorouracil, imiquimod (Aldara), blood root ointment with varying degree of success. All have lower success than liverpool cream though. Camrosa is used by some but I would stick well clear of it.
Best advice I can give is to get her vet to send photos to Derek Knottenbelt at Liverpool University - they have recently started charging (~£20 I think) for photo consultation, but for sarcoids no-one knows more. Get his advice and do what he says, anything else is false economy.

i would strongly advise you to go with the liverpool cream
we have had a very good outcome with this --my vet sent phots to derek knottenbelt --cream ordered then applied by our vet --now all gone it did take 4 applications but it was worth everypenny -expensive yes (can't remember how much now) but it works

kirstyl

Visit site
Absolutely agree with alsiola and horsedreams. Liverpool cream worked brilliantly for my horse and Derek Knottenbelt is the leading authority on sarcoids