Treatment of mud fever/rain scald?!

junglediva

Visit site
Just bought a new boy straight from the field! he has slight mud fever on his back legs and his back legs have swollen a bit as he has been all winter in mud up to his hocks very nearly poor thing! Anybody ever had a horse with this condition and how did/do you treat it as i have never had a horse with mud fever :? Thanks!!

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Get the vet out for a look and get some Bute and Flamazine from them! If he's not too sore, or after he's had some bute, get the legs clean with some Hibiscrub, or similar, make sure you dry them well and then cover with Flamazine. You'll notice a difference very quickly!

Visit site
Not sure how to cure as never had to cure but liberaly applying vasiline to the legs and especially the heels prevents it, has done the trick with our pony throughout december while she was in a VERY muddy.

coss

Visit site
unless horse is in a lot of pain i wouldn't be calling the vet (but i've dealt with mudfever a lot :eek:)
i'd clean the legs - shampoo so they are properly clean. allow to fully dry and use muddy marvels disinfectant - allow to dry (takes about 10-15mins) then apply the MM barrier cream. Turn out and let it work. I wouldn't wash the legs again til most of the barrier cream is off, then i'd redo as above.

having said that- as there is swelling it may be worth getting some anti inflams.

junglediva

Visit site
unless horse is in a lot of pain i wouldn't be calling the vet (but i've dealt with mudfever a lot :eek:)
i'd clean the legs - shampoo so they are properly clean. allow to fully dry and use muddy marvels disinfectant - allow to dry (takes about 10-15mins) then apply the MM barrier cream. Turn out and let it work. I wouldn't wash the legs again til most of the barrier cream is off, then i'd redo as above.

having said that- as there is swelling it may be worth getting some anti inflams.

Thanks :) he hasnt arrived yet he is coming 2moro! He is not lame or anything and not showing any signs of discomfort he just has really muddy legs and his back legs are unattractively swollen which makes it look worse than it is if you know what i mean! i was thinking of hosing his legs down everynight, drying them off the applying barrier cream. we have a small wood chip turn out paddock where i will turn him out 4 couple hours a day as our fields are a bit boggy :S

coss

Visit site
i personally wouldn't hose off everynight once the barrier cream is on - i'd only effectively clean legs when you can see the barrier cream isn't working. If it doesn't start to clear with the cream i'd be getting the vet out as the infection may need something stronger.

caberston

Visit site
wash with hibiscrub or similar and get all the scabs off if you can and if its not too sore. make sure its completely dry and then either flamazine from vets or sudocrem also works ok if the mud rash isn't too extreme! i wouldnt wash it everyday unless its looking really icky, once scabs are off and cream is on its sometimes more effective if you just leave it to do its magic :) best of luck.

rosie-ellie

Visit site
Mine has it at the moment on all four legs, front near side is worse because she had a surface wound and its escalated into mud fever :mad:

Mines been in since wednesday and 3 legs are now clear but the front has swollen and there was heat in it yesterday.

What i did was clip all four legs, washed with hibiscrub, and dryed them. I put medicated wound powder on all four. The front hoof had a huge scab on it yesterday and heat so i put plenty of sudocream on it last night, i'm hoping when i go up this morning i can get the scab off, if its not looking any better i'll be seeking the vets advice.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Liquid Paraffin is the only one i found that worked. vets cream did nothing, she had yellow pus coming out her legs at the worst stage. liquid paraffin started working in 2 days and almost completely gone now