Treats

Batgirl

Visit site
Meadow Herb treats about £2 a bag, last ages, classic carrots, he also loooooves his joint supplement lick (gets a very orange nose)

My friends horse gets Smart Price (ASDA) Custard Creams!! (not entirely sure they are good for him but are certainly cheap!)

jaijai

Visit site
We get huge tub of herb treats for £6.50 from our local saddlery - very good value. What about swede etc especially good to keep them amused in the stable if you drill a hole through and thread on bale string to tie up.

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
Meadow Herb treats about £2 a bag, last ages, classic carrots, he also loooooves his joint supplement lick (gets a very orange nose)

My friends horse gets Smart Price (ASDA) Custard Creams!! (not entirely sure they are good for him but are certainly cheap!)
i will tell her to luck out for the treats, she has a lickit up and a mint lick in a pot.bet your friends horse loves them :D

We get huge tub of herb treats for £6.50 from our local saddlery - very good value. What about swede etc especially good to keep them amused in the stable if you drill a hole through and thread on bale string to tie up.
thats very cheap :) i will tell her to try swede, she has never tried it

Extra Strong Mints, green tops off carrots, grapes, banana slices, Tea (as long as its got milk and sugar - only gets it when the farrier comes and there's a brew-up).
i didnt know you could give them grapes and bananas :D will have to see if she likes them

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I used to spend a fortune on treats. In fact, they were costing more than the hard feed! That is because there are 6 horses on the yard and they all get treats. In the end I just started carrying round a pocket full of horse and pony cubes, hi fi cubes or gass nuts. All of these go down just as well with the horses and are a fraction of the price.

riding_high

Visit site
own brand mint imperials from any of the supermarkets! they cost about 50p a bag and last a while, i normally buy 3 bags a week and it keeps my monsters happy for the week!

ruscara

Visit site
The 'treats' you buy in small bags are identical to the Badminton Horse Feeds High Fibre Nuggets. I buy a large feed bag of this, and it's ridiculously cheaper than buying the same thing in the 'treat' bags.
They sell special Christmas packages of these 'treats' for five pounds, when a large feed bag of the same thing only costs about £7!

abina

Visit site
Crumbs ...........I am going to sound like a 'bad mummy' but none of my horses ever have treats in any form or fashion, they have a succulent in their tea feed but that's it ! I find it just encourages pocket nudging and bad manners and I feel a nice tickle and a good hug goes down just as well and is FREE !!

katherine1975

Visit site
The 'treats' you buy in small bags are identical to the Badminton Horse Feeds High Fibre Nuggets. I buy a large feed bag of this, and it's ridiculously cheaper than buying the same thing in the 'treat' bags.
They sell special Christmas packages of these 'treats' for five pounds, when a large feed bag of the same thing only costs about £7!

Ditto this. I buy these and the horses love them. The little bags of 'treats' are so expensive.

BlizzardBudd

Visit site
wow, i never knew this. am deffo going to buy my pony some :D

own brand mint imperials from any of the supermarkets! they cost about 50p a bag and last a while, i normally buy 3 bags a week and it keeps my monsters happy for the week!
they'd be quite good just to have some in my pocket, then if i get a little peckish too i could have one (or two) :)

I used to spend a fortune on treats. In fact, they were costing more than the hard feed! That is because there are 6 horses on the yard and they all get treats. In the end I just started carrying round a pocket full of horse and pony cubes, hi fi cubes or gass nuts. All of these go down just as well with the horses and are a fraction of the price.
i know how much it could cost! treats are mega expensive

I only treat for stretching exercises, but the cheapest that you will find by far would be the Badminton High Fibre Nuggets - at around £9.50 for 20kg. Buy a bag and they last for ages!!!

They are a really chunky nugget - perfect for a healthy treat!

http://www.badmintonfeeds.co.uk/products.php?id=37&from=home
will have a look. will deffo tell my friend about this. she could just keep them off the yard so others dont "borrow" them :D

Crumbs ...........I am going to sound like a 'bad mummy' but none of my horses ever have treats in any form or fashion, they have a succulent in their tea feed but that's it ! I find it just encourages pocket nudging and bad manners and I feel a nice tickle and a good hug goes down just as well and is FREE !!
i agree, although the way to get to my pony is through her stomach :D

stressedmum

Visit site
I am a bad mummy too. I have never treated mine from my hand/pocket etc i just add a couple of carrots to a feed now and again and the badminton nuggets, thats their treat... Someone used to treat my boys when i wasn't around and it drove me mad, they turned into nipping hooligans! I couldnt put my hands in my pockets to keep them warm without being attacked lol! So i have a strict no treat rule x

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I do try to be good about treats as Captain can get nippy if given them by . But he does get his treat ball with meadow herbs, loads of succulents eg. swede to play ball with; carrots and/or apples in every bucket, which he has to have to encourage him to eat his dinner. Also, he occasionally gets a tiny piece of Kendal mint cake or a few ginger biscuits. But they are occasional.

Fany gets parsnips, swede and apples. She also likes the odd mint.She hated the treat ball, loves her lickit bars which she would quite happily devour by the bucket load if allowed.

FDC