TREC , great to see TREC in horse & hound magazine

TRECtastic

Visit site
great to see 'how do i get involved in TREC' article in this weeks horse & hound mag

the BHS will not be overseeing the sport from sept '14

a new group called TREC GB will be taking over , all competitions will be listed on their web site so hopefully the article will get people thinking of giving TREC a go :cool:

alex2

Visit site
I agree, TREC needs all the support it can get at the moment as it moves from BHS to TREC GB.
The article gives a good description and hopefully will encourage riders to have a go. I combine TREC and hunting which works perfectly as the hunting season is starting when TREC is finishing!

wendyneath

New User
Visit site
I've been Treccing for nearly 10 years on and off, as well as taking part in lots of other disciplines. My semi retired eventer loved it, my advanced dressage horse enjoyed it as a break, and my current event / Sj horse Ollie has been transformed by learning to trust me and think for himself. Oh and there are lots of lovely friendly people taking part too!

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Was great to see the article. I have really enjoyed trying indoor trec comps in the winter and would love to do more. It's a great sport.

Floxie

Visit site
This will probably sound very ignorant, but what exactly is TREC? Is just an adult's version of handy pony?

Haha yes! That's how I see it, and not in a derisive way at all :) I've not done it myself but watched my friends compete and I've set up some of the challenges at home - lots of fun and a great way to build confidence & relationship with your horse. Definitely something I'd like to try more - though my main riding interests lie elsewhere I don't see how TREC training on top could be anything but a positive and fun addition :)

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Looking to see how Trec GB pans out. The plan is to enter a comp near me in the summer, going for unaffiliated as can't see the point in paying for the £20 fee the BHS seem to want. Adding that onto a weekend....you're looking at £100 + with fuel for a trip further afield.

I don't mind getting registered with Trec GB next year though. :D

Meems

Visit site
I love Trec, been doing it for a couple of years now. I've had limited success due to my complete and utter inability to read a map, but I'll keep plugging away at it!

molly7886

Visit site
This will probably sound very ignorant, but what exactly is TREC? Is just an adult's version of handy pony?
The "handy pony" bit is only part of it (the winter VTH competitions pretty much consist of this section)
The majority of the score from a "proper" trec competition comes from the orienteering section which is a bit more of a challenge than the obstacles that many ridicule! You have to ride a pre-determined route using a map and compass finding check points along the way. I find this bit the most enjoyable part of trec as you get to ride some lovely routes, often on land not usually open to riders.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have done a couple of competitions and some indoor,without the orienteering and what I like about it is the training for the obstacles. It puts a whole new emphasis on how good you are as a trainer and the horses seem to like it too, instead of endless circles. It took me 3 days to persuade my horse to go underneath the "branches" - canes on top of a show jump wing - without him getting frightened. "I can't possibly jump that, it is far too big." Followed by "I can't possibly get underneath that pole, I am far too big!" But we got there in the end.

Trouble is, Trec needs lots and lots of helpers to run and in some parts of the country they are very few and very spread out. You have to think that it is a whole weekend away in most cases.

Dumbo

Visit site
Ah I love trec - I've done a couple of training days last year but would love to compete, when my horse is sound!!

jm2k

Visit site
I did one trec in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sadly, there are never any in East South Wales (Cardiff-Newport) to attend or compete on a regular basis.
The closest is only 1 or 2 times a year in Gower, Swansea so unable to get any practice, events or training in between any of these competitions so dont enter.
I would certainly do a lot more if there was a club local to provide regular training and events as it was so much all round fun and good experience for the horses

suestowford

Visit site
I am doing an intro day this weekend. I am full of trepidation as I do not know what my horse will make of it - he can be very awkward about things.

HLM79

New User
Visit site
The club for South Wales, Jm2k, is called Red Kite (redkitetrec.co.uk). I don't know how widely distributed their events are across their region as outdoor competitions usually need to be held where there is a suitable amount of space for the orienteering phase, but demand can definitely influence supply - if they know that people want events in a particular area I'm sure they'll look at putting them on if they can. All TREC clubs operate that way, and the list of clubs can be found on the TREC GB website (www.trecgb.com/trecclubs.html), so do contact your local club to register your request! It is true that, partly due to the nature of the sport and partly the fact that it's still relatively small, events are fairly widely spread across the uk so a bit of travelling is needed. Often the best way to look at it is a horse-related mini-break, as you stay at the venue for the whole weekend which means you can really immerse yourself in it and have a good time getting to know the other competitors (who are widely acknowledged to be very friendly, whether it's your first TREC or your 50th). Do consider going to a couple on your feet if they're a way from you too, as you can get an idea of what competitions are like and meet a few people without the pressure of competing.

Last edited:

Balck Cob

New User
Visit site
Unfortunately far too many people seem to think like you. Full TREC is a 3 phase comeptition of Control of Paces, PTV which is the phase mentioned by yourself SpringArising and the POR which is orienteering using a map and compass and exploring the countryside in which the competition has been held, so much much more than a handy pony competition!
The PTV obstacles are all supposed to resemble things that you might find out hacking.
Please watch TREC GB for up to date information and we hope to see you at a competition or two in the future!

trecciemad

New User
Visit site
TREC South West (Devon and Somerset) put on training days, indoor and outdoor competitions through out the year (including the one this weekend mentioned earlier). If you want one near you - and you have the suitable facilities please just contact us.
www.trecsouthwest.com

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
As there were children entered in the indoor TREC comps I went to, it didn't seem to be an "adult's handy pony. " It's much more fun than that anyway, and a way to get closer to your horse with a job it can understand. There is a high degree of precision needed to do the obstacles well, but the best bit is you don't need an expensive horse, you just need a well trained willing one.

minkara

Visit site
trec is huge fun and I never thought in my old age I would stop showing , jumping etc ( all at a very good national level) to compete in trec. There is still a great element of schooling your horse to be obedient , off the leg, accepting, and adjustable in the head, as the obstacles can involve a lengthy canter across open spaces, and then several obstacles that require precision and obedience in a short space. HOWEVER, the sport also caters for someone who is not brave and is not a 'fulltime'horseman, as every obstacle is optional. I found this hard to get my head around at the beginning- a world sport that allows you opt out of things, but it certainly makes sense now, as it genuinely caters for everyone from the happy hacker who would like to have a go, to someone who wants to improve the manners of their horse, to the furiously competitive person intent on representing their country. You also do not need to spend squillions of your international steed, and at least one horse in the 2014 international team cost much less than £1000!! basic map reading is an advantage, but there are lots of trainings available, and being able at the lower levels to compete as a pair definitely helps, conact trec gb for details to get started, you will be surprised it can become addictive!

Tontotrek

New User
Visit site
I am looking forwards to my first Trec in August - having helped out at a couple first, and am really looking forwards to it! Big appreciation to the organizers of these events - who always need helpers, and look after them very well! It's a really great equine sport to take part in, leisurely or competitively :)

Suec04

Visit site
I went to watch a friend at a TREC training day, having never experienced it before, and I loved it! I so wanted to take my mare round all the obstacles (she was lame at the time!), though she will probably snort her way through the lot of them when we do go ourselves! . the scary bit for me seems to be the orienteering/map reading. I'm bound to get lost! :D I can't wait to get involved! the idea was for my nervous daughter to be able to do something with our mare that didn't involve jumping and to be able to opt out of things would have suited her if she got too worried. Now I'm thinking, I want to have a go! :)

minkara

Visit site
lovely comment from someone taking up the sport!!!! " Been away, but so nice to see the article on Trec the other week, I have been trying to find out all about it , but did not know where to start. After reading the article I contacted the Trec gb, and went on foot to the Scottish Championships last weekend. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and I shall be doing my first competition before the year is out. I am not particularily brave, but own a lovely 15 hh bay gelding who has done a bit of everything, so thought I would try something completely different. My map reading might be a bit of a challenge but have been assured the lowest level is not difficult, and hopefully I can persuade a friend to come with me in a pair so we can get lost together! They also assured me , no one has been lost for ever! the one thing that stood out, apart from the friendliness was the different types of horses and ponies competing, from eventers to traditionals to mountain and moorlands, has anybody else tried it?"