treeless people

horseandshoes77

Visit site
has anyone got/ tried a Eric Thomas treeless ?
just in the process of buying a first ever treeless just for hacking and bringing on very hard to fit youngster.

I have a budget of 250/300

Also been looking at Libra aswell although they seem to have very mixed reviews they seem a good cheaper option ?

thanks

claribella

Visit site
I haven't heard of it but I do have a libra which I really like. I would say though save up another fifty quid and go for a heather Moffat flexee. I got my libra second hand off eBay for ninety quid as I was on a budget but didn't want those nasty cheap ones on eBay but if I had three hundred odd quid then the flexee is what I'd choose. They have great feedback. Also the barefoots are suppose to be good. You could get a second on eBay for that price.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but can someone please explain the pros and cons of treeless? I've been thinking of going treeless for a while as I think it's nicer for the horse but also heard that they slip a lot and not good when jumping etc.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Sorry to hijack, but can someone please explain the pros and cons of treeless? I've been thinking of going treeless for a while as I think it's nicer for the horse but also heard that they slip a lot and not good when jumping etc.

Condensed version, IMO.

Pros:
No pinching.
No ill-fitting trees to dig in.
Adjusts with the horse as they gain / lose weight, change shape, muscle up, etc.
No more dodgy saddle fitters.
A lot of horses respond better to them, move more freely, etc.

Cons:
Weight distribution is usually dodgy in cheaper makes.
Not always very conventional looking, or good for jumping.
Many of them aren't as stable as a treed saddle would be.
Some horses don't get on with them.

Some treeless saddles are horrendous, others are brilliant. I have a Solution, and I haven't looked back since buying. We jump with no issues, and it stays in place well on a youngster who has a few hairy moments. The only time it really slips is if the rider's balance is off.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Condensed version, IMO.

Pros:
No pinching.
No ill-fitting trees to dig in.
Adjusts with the horse as they gain / lose weight, change shape, muscle up, etc.
No more dodgy saddle fitters.
A lot of horses respond better to them, move more freely, etc.

Cons:
Weight distribution is usually dodgy in cheaper makes.
Not always very conventional looking, or good for jumping.
Many of them aren't as stable as a treed saddle would be.
Some horses don't get on with them.

Some treeless saddles are horrendous, others are brilliant. I have a Solution, and I haven't looked back since buying. We jump with no issues, and it stays in place well on a youngster who has a few hairy moments. The only time it really slips is if the rider's balance is off.

Thank you. I guess the ideal solution would be a treeless for hacking, schooling work and then a jumping saddle for XC, SJ etc.

How do they affect your posture schooling wise? A dressage saddle very much holds you in the correct position but with a treeless do you have to work doubly hard at keeping your position correct?

Sorry OP - I'll stop now!

horseandshoes77

Visit site
thanks for e info guys, I have infact bought the libra trec, thought it may be a good budget starter saddle, have bought dressage girth and safety stirrups also but confused about leathers as it is a closed ring ? and also im watching an equitex (sp) saddle pad on ebay, any other things I may need or pads you recommend

thanks

claribella

Visit site
You need stirrups that have the t bar. Type treeless stirrup leather sinto ebay and they should come up. Just be careful with the pads as you might need to shim. I had to with my girl so bought ones with pockets so I could get it sitting just right. Good luck:)