Treeless saddle any thoughts??

competitiondiva

Visit site
Just wondered if any of you had experiences, thoughts etc on these saddles, I'm looking at what to get for my youngsters first saddle to get him broken and riding forwards before I get a saddler in to fit a leather dressage saddle (as I don't jump!!) but would like a more forward cut saddle with knee rolls to break in with!!! I was looking at a synthetic changeable gullet saddles but came across these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-all-pupos...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item3364728ed9

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/All-Purpose-T...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item3f06c3bc5c

What is the difference between a bareback pad and these?? And I would assume based on the price of these that they would be cheap and nasty!!!????

KarynK

Visit site
I had a barefoot Arizona western treeless to start a youngster a few years ago, it worked really well and he progressed nicely. It was recommended to me by a very good saddle fitter who said they are ideal for youngsters who change shape so much. He did change quite drastically and in the end he did get one or two ruffled hairs under it so he changed to a leather GP.

The woman that bought him got really hooked on the saddle and loved hacking in it, but no good for jumping of course! I sold it on for the same price as I bought 7 months later so it was a very good deal!!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
Hi, those saddles do look a bit cheap, so would be worried about the feel of them if you know what I mean.

I have a Barefoot treeless - cheyenne. It was my xmas prezzie! And.... I totally lurvvveee it. :)

My cob constantly changes shape so was best option. So comfy too.

I am looking at getting something else to jump in though.

Piglet

Visit site
I have ridden in those tree free western style saddles and I thought they were horrible, the front of the saddle seemed to come very low down on the horses withers and there was no clearance, personally, I ride in a Heather Moffett Enlightened Equitation Saddle which has foam panels, no tree and will fit any horse (literally) I show in mine, dressage and show jump in it, it is fantastic. To buy a couple of years ago it was about £900 but you will never need to have a new saddle as it literally does fit any horse. Well worth looking at the site even if you don't buy one. ;)

Vetwrap

Visit site
Might be worth having a look on Enlightened Equitation as a lot of people there use treeless. I've never heard anything bad against the Vogue saddles - and Heather Moffett does rate the Barefoot Cheyenne as the best treelesssaddle for those on a budget.

I'm not convinced that I would find a Fhoenix comfortable - look at the seat...?

tangosmum

Visit site
Last edited:

emmaln

Visit site
It depends sooo much on the shape of your horse! I have a tb who despite having a saddle made for her and getting it checked constantly still wasn't happy (years of crappy tack left her with pain memories!) in the end out of desperation I borrowed a friends treeless and it was magic I bought her the dream team treeless and she loves it.

However I also have a 4 yr old welshy and when it came to backing her I thought treeless would be a good way to start, I tried 3 different types including the dream team and hated all of them for different reasons (they slipped, not enough waist in the saddle so you couldn't get a hang in your legs) went for a thorowgood t4 cob to start her in in the end and it's good for her, I'm not too keen so saving up for something different!

I did try my friends Heather Moffat and that was a different story I liked it very much!

Good lick

Piglet

Visit site
Trust me, the Fhoenix saddle is not the prettiest looking saddle but my horse is soooooooooooo comfy in it and after having several saddles (including a made to measure treed saddle) I always found him "pottery" going down hill but now in his Fhoenix saddle he is striding out and it is lovely to look down and see his whole shoulder moving underneath and put your hand in between and not feel any pinching, It is wider than the conventional saddle but very very comfortable padded seat (not to everyones liking) the only slight problem is that because there is very little cantle, if you are riding short, it is quite easy to find your arse (no matter how small it is) coming slightly over the cantle and you have to concentrate to stay in the middle of the saddle as you are not automatically put there - on the plus point - if the horse is comfortable surely that is the most important thing at the end of the day he is the one having to carry the rider? :p

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
There is a reason why well-known brands of treeless saddles are pushing the £1000 mark (and more) to buy new, and you're not just paying for the name.

Cheap saddles like those on ebay can cause pressure points, especially under the stirrup mounting points. They haven't been designed and tested to spread the weight of the rider, and the problems they can cause tends to give all treeless saddles a bad name.

Feathered

Visit site
I also have a Barefoot Cheyenne and love it, due my mares arthritis we only do light hacking so it suits us fine.

I'll be doing the initial backing of my coblet in the Cheyenne then will be getting him a "proper" saddle, which I'm saving hard for! :)

Nalod

New User
Visit site
I have a Barefoot Cheyenne and a Libra and of the 2 I'd much rather ride in the Barefoot. Both saddles are synthetic. The Libra has not worn very well, even though it's been used less and is 6 months younger than the Barefoot. To be fair though, Libra do suggest it's an 'entry level saddle to treeless'. A friend who hacks out with me has a nubuck Torsion and says it's the best saddle she's ever ridden in and she's ridden in my Barefoot and my Libra. Three different price points, 3 different saddles - you pays your money you takes your choice. :)