Treeless Saddles

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
Hey

Quick question to all those who use treeless saddles.

What make have you got and what do you think of the them? Issues with pressure points etc?

I have seen my boy in a solution saddle and it was amazing but will probably need a stepping stone before I get it (as its mega bucks) :rolleyes:

What do you recommend?

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
Thanks, but that doesn't say much about the pressure points! The Freemax and possibly the Freeform look like they could have pressure points around the back of the saddle.

Can anyone tell me if it does?

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I have a barefoot Cheyenne and she goes lovely in it but I only use it for hacking and fast work is challenging unless she is going really forward! I kind of adopt a weird position for fast work as it has no knee rolls but is great for position and balance. It fits over her spine like a thick numnah really with shape but doesnt seem to cause pressure infact I got it when she had back issues and they resolved them.

curio

Visit site
freemax rubbed my cobs loins but barefoot has been great for him used for 8 months and no probs with his back i have the cherokee on traditional cob and london on welsh sec d do fast work in both

GinaGeo

Visit site
I have Solutions for two of mine. One who won't go in a treed saddle and another who has been backed in one. Both are very happy in them :) Keep an eye on ebay, they tend to come up cheaper on there.

Booboos

Visit site
I have a Solutions for one of mine who won't go in a treed saddle. He's been ridden in it for about 5-6 years now with no problems (and very regular physio check ups). He is happily competing Medium, with changes at home so his back seems to be in good shape!

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
I've got an Enlightened Equitation fhoenix GP, and it is great! No pressure points, even sweat markings after long rides, and horse goes really well in it. It also supports me well - it feels treed in the way is supports me.

TheDogHouse

Visit site
I have an Enlightened Equitation Phoenix Dressage saddle and love it on our Cob. He moves freely in the shoulder. He was hard to fit as quite overweight when I got him. The Stirrup bars are set for the correct Classical position so I love it!

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
I have an Enlightened Equitation Phoenix Dressage saddle and love it on our Cob. He moves freely in the shoulder. He was hard to fit as quite overweight when I got him. The Stirrup bars are set for the correct Classical position so I love it!

My boy has rather large shoulders, and as result the tree ends up pushing into his shoulders, hence why i'm looking at treeless. I have tried the solution saddle on him and he went amazingly in it but I can't afford the price tag at the moment :(

horsemad32

Visit site
Solution saddles do extensive pressure testing, the results of which you can see. If I had the money, I'd happily have one! Torison and Freeform saddles have been extensively used by endurance riders, over 100s of miles - and endurance riding is heavily vet checked and any issues would show up over such distances. I've used Torsion saddles with much success on TBs and Welsh Section Ds but not personally tried anything else. Beyond that - it's a bit pot luck really.

Seems to depend how much you want to do with your horse, how heavy you are, the horse's conformation etc etc. You can pay £££ in the treeless world, for a seemingly reputable make, then find your horse's back has been damaged by the saddle - even when the company's fitter says it's a great fit. Often issues don't show up immediately either, so a trial ride will feel great, then the issues show up later on.

I personally wouldn't buy anything I couldn't see pressure data for, or hadn't been endurance tested. But then we had a horrific experience, one that has been repeated by many others, with the same make of saddle costing over £1000. This saddle caused muscle wastage and left hair falling out under the stirrup bars, to be replaced by white hair growing back, and extensive time off work for all the problems to fully heal. I only weigh 9 stone, the saddle was no way too small for me, we didn't jump above 2ft3 and that only occasionally. Saddle was checked for both fit and defects - clear. Manufacturer couldn't have cared at all that their products were damaging horses and ponies, causing pain and scarring. I still have their emails showing their 'don't care' attitude, as a reminder to me not to buy anything that hasn't been tested again!

You can hire a port lewis impression pad to check for pressure issues on your horse - might be worth doing with any trial of a treeless saddle?

Tinypony

Visit site
I've tried lots. My favourites:
Sensation saddle (which I'm now selling), is a wonderful comfy thing and my horses all go well in it. Needs a bit of shimming for a high withered horse, but good on my wide pony. Not conventional looking though.
I also have a Freeform, which works better if the horse's wither is a bit higher. I've never had any pressure problems with it and it's nice to ride in. No rigid parts, so not as likely to cause pressure problems as the saddles that look similar but have solid parts.
The one I'm probably never going to part with is my Fhoenix Vogue, a really lovely soft-treed saddle. I've got the full set of pads and so far seem to be able to fit it to anything I want to ride.
Enlightened Equitation are bringing out a cheaper saddle imminently, the FlexEE, which will retail under £400. I'm considering selling my Freeform as well as the Sensation, and getting one of these. Then using the leftover cash to by my winter hay!

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I've got a Solution saddle, bought via ebay for a fraction of the new price.
I've used it on 2 different shaped horses, neither were bothered by it.
Well worth the money, look out for an Ansur saddle too, the American equivalent of Solutions :).

TigerTail

Visit site
I have a HM vogue which I love ad havnt had any issues with.

I think the HM ones are a 15 stone weight limit Weight aside, riding style can cause pressure points, where a different rider wouldnt create them...something to bare in mind!

Serephin

Visit site
I have a barefoot cheyenne - neddy gets a clean bill of health at every back check - his back has muscled up very well since I have been using it.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Freemax rubbed my cob at back too and is horrid to ride in. Tips u forward and slides round if they duck out. Damn predictive text that nearly said something else then! I hate my freemax.