Treeless Saddles?

mybaileysglide

Visit site
my horse constantly changes shape throughout the year and her saddle just doesn't fit her anymore, but i can't afford to keep changing saddles and paying for saddle fitters to come up all the time, so i was thinking about getting her a treeless saddle. i don't know anything about them though so want to know peoples thoughts on them and what brands to buy etc (i don't have a tone of money so nothing too pricey). also my horse has quite high withers so the ones that look like endurance type saddles would be no good for her as they're so flat, would be better off getting one that looks like a normal gp saddle. please could people give me their thoughts and opinions? thanks :)

kaiserchief

Visit site
I've tried a decent number of different treeless saddles and am treeless at the moment (we had a 3 month foray into the world of treed saddles last year but unfortunately that's as long as it fitted for and we went back to treeless).

On my first pony I tried:

- The Fitform. Loved it and rode her in it for years, only upgraded when we started doing more jumping. Changed to:
- The Freeform. Again, awesome saddle! I had two of them over a few years - bought the first one secondhand, then when they brought out new models with knee rolls, I upgraded. I wish my current pony had been bigger as I'd have kept it for him.
- The Diddi Pad. Really pretty little saddle but the pony was never massively keen so I sold it on at a loss (they're a bit niche...)
- The Heather Moffett Flexion SBS (her first treeless saddle, no longer made). The pony hated it and bronced. I had it on trial so it went straight back.

With my current pony I've tried:
- The Libra Trail. This is the saddle I backed him in and we're still using it now (2.5 years on). He loves it! I find it pretty wide and not much cop for jumping and fast work but being only 13hh with an adult rider, we're a little restricted as to what saddles will fit both of us.
- The Heather Moffett FlexEE. I found it very perched and unstable, pony wasn't overly bothered about it but when he went into trot I felt hugely unsafe and jumped off. Not for us although I know of other people who have them and love them.

I'm hoping to try a Ghost saddle fairly soon (when my treed saddle finally sells) as the new models look a lot more supportive than what we're used to. I'm just hoping they will come short enough in the back to suit...

Kat

Visit site
I have two solution saddles. They look just like normal saddles and are suitable for jumping in. They are pricey but you can pick them up secondhand and they are one of the only brands of treeless saddle that has proper fitters. You can also hire one for a trial before you buy.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Maybe something like the Barefoot Cherokee Classic would suit?

The main thing with treeless saddles is that you should always go for a proper, named, well made saddle, not a cheapo ebay rip off. So getting a good saddle second hand is the best option if money is tight. Plus not every saddle will fit every horse and they still need to be fitted properly. Many need to have a padded saddlecloth to go with them.

Have a look on the various websites of some of the saddles mentioned in the posts above. Horse and Harmony is good for barefoot saddles.

Pascal96

Visit site
Another vote for a Solution. I have the older Freestyle and both my girls love it and also my back as well.

Street_Skill

Visit site
Another vote for Solution Saddles! I first started using them about 7 years ago when I had an elderly TB and a 5 year old ex-racehorse. My elderly mare had already changed shape a couple of times resulting in two new saddles and I knew that my 5 year old would do the same as he came into work and muscled up. My primary aim when buying my first Solution saddle was to save me some money-something that I was going to use on both horses (can't ride them both at the same time!) and that I could easily adjust as and when both horses changed shape. My original Solution GP achieved this and so much more to the point where up until I sold it (last week!) it had successfully been used on 5 different horses, not only saving me an absolute fortune, but also improving the way of going of each and every one of them.

I am still using Solution saddles but have now moved on to the Smart range because my current ex-racehorse prefers the style and with high (and long) withers this style is easier to fit to him without the need for masses of pads underneath. I am now using a Smart dressage (normal saddlecloth with a single thin shim behind the shoulder each side) and a Smart jump saddle (again, normal saddlecloth but needs a slightly thicker shim each side due to the style of saddle).

These saddles are not cheap (even second hand) but are well worth the investment. I am such a convert I'm now training to be a fitter for them! Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

webble

Visit site
I would love a solution but even second hand they aren't cheap. I agree re going for a good make. I have a Heather Moffett Flexee and love it you can get them for around 200 second hand or if you prefer leather there is the phoenix which is around 450 second hand. Heather has quite a few fitters now so there should be one fairly close

NagsEquestrian

Visit site
Agree with the others, go for a well known brand, either new or secondhand. If your horse has prominent withers a saddle with a gullet would probably be your best bet. Do your research on the brands, and make sure you budget for a treeless pad if needed. If you know anyone with a saddle it might be an idea to see if you can borrow it so you can get an idea of what you like and don't, so you can find a model that suits you, or some companies offer demos.

Preloved, ebay (Ive got some bargains off ebay germany as well) and FB groups are all places to look for saddles :)

BlackRider

Visit site
The treeless a quite different to ride in - I've had barefoot (I've got a London that I keep meaning to put on eBay).

I got a flexee last year, which I love, it rides like a treed saddle, and looks like one too.

ozpoz

Visit site
Another Solution saddle person here and very happy with my Smart. I am able to sit properly and feel the horse - perfect. : )

Spotsrock

Visit site
I tried Freemax jump (go) and struggled, it perched and if she moved it slid, then I tried a flexee, poorly back (pony not me) so I saved up and bought a sensation, absolutely love it, I now have 2 and am trying to justify a third lol
Quite like the Cashel soft saddle (mark 1 not mark 2) but not narrow enough twist it secure enough for jumping plus I'm traditional and I wanted a smart leather saddle

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've tried:

Barefoot - both size 2 and size 1 in Cherokee and London; also have a Lexington that I'm selling. Have a helluva problem getting Barefoots to fit either me or the horse. Either one size will fit the horse and not me, or vice versa. The Lexington is a lovely deep saddle, too deep actually - and it really is more suitable for a high withered warmblood type horse and not a wide flat backed cob!!

So I've given up on Barefoots basically, which is a shame as they are lovely saddles and are supposed to be very supportive for the horse's back.

I bought a Freeform cheap on e-bay; liked it very much, it was very comfy, too comfy in fact, and I found after a hour's riding that I was having problems with my lower back. Also I wasn't sure that it provided enough support for the horse's back particularly where the stirrup bar inset goes, particularly visible after the horse had sweated up underneath, so easy to see.

I've got a FlexEE original (VSD). Don't like it!!! Every time I put it on my mare it seems to be a different fit, and my experience is that you have to spend an age faffing around and shimming the blessed thing. So that one's gonna be for sale shortly! I don't know what the more recent gulleted models are like though........

I have an old leather-version Libra which is an ideal spare. It has moveable panels which is useful, but I don't find it gives me enough support. This would however make an ideal breaking or schooling saddle.

Currently I've got an "Exmoor Tree-Free" - got it on e-bay which saved me a lot, and I absolutely love it! There's plenty of support for the horse's back underneath, and the Exmoor has lovely knee rolls which is a huge help. The people that make these saddles, Johan and Andrea, are both master saddlers and are based in South Devon - you can trial their saddles before purchasing and they will take a great deal of care to make sure you've got the correct fit. On later versions you can change the position of the girth and stirrup bars too. This is the only treeless saddle I've tried that I can ride in, also both my horses go like silk in it.

I've tried the HM Phoenix and Vogue: only went for a quick trot round the block and could hardly walk for a week! But that was the first time I'd ever ridden treeless.

mandwhy

Visit site
I had a heather moffett flexee and now have a fhoenix that is a better model, I bought both of them second hand on the EE Facebook page and sold the flexee on there too. I think for high withers I would go with the flexee as it has gullet plates (the flexee is being discontinued and the new model is going to be called the finesse which is just a slightly improved version), and you may need to use some shimming but they're helpful If you ask. Some horses with very high withers are pretty unsuitable for treeless but I would give it a try and see how it goes.

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha Mijods the saddles do stretch ones hip flexors pretty chronically for a while but they are so good if you want to improve your position. I say this with burning legs reclining on the sofa!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have had a Torsion, Libra and Flexee over the last few years. I have to say of all of them the cheap little Libra has been my favourite! The only downside is that I used it so much it literally wore out so now it has become the backing saddle. Quick pros and cons of each:

Torsion - comfortable and really lets you connect with the horse. Not ideal for my high withered TB though and the pad cost almost as much as the saddle. No experience of the more recent models.

Libra - very cheap and according to various sources is well made. Needs a proper treeless pad: I used a Haf then a Suber pad. Horse absolutely loved it as did I although she was a CB so had fairly normal withers. Probably wouldn't suit someone who wants/needs knee rolls but I thought it was fab.

Flexee - feels like a treed saddle and apparently fits my new high and long withered TB well. However recently he has started being a bit swishy on tacking up (fine once I'm on board though). Comfortable enough and feels as stable as a treed to me. One slightly odd thing is that it's not particularly deep seated but it does cause my dodgy right knee some issues on dismount. I won't be using it for backing the youngster. I probably need to restrict customer service experience to a PM.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
I've tried a decent number of different treeless saddles and am treeless at the moment (we had a 3 month foray into the world of treed saddles last year but unfortunately that's as long as it fitted for and we went back to treeless).

On my first pony I tried:

- The Fitform. Loved it and rode her in it for years, only upgraded when we started doing more jumping. Changed to:
- The Freeform. Again, awesome saddle! I had two of them over a few years - bought the first one secondhand, then when they brought out new models with knee rolls, I upgraded. I wish my current pony had been bigger as I'd have kept it for him.
- The Diddi Pad. Really pretty little saddle but the pony was never massively keen so I sold it on at a loss (they're a bit niche...)
- The Heather Moffett Flexion SBS (her first treeless saddle, no longer made). The pony hated it and bronced. I had it on trial so it went straight back.

With my current pony I've tried:
- The Libra Trail. This is the saddle I backed him in and we're still using it now (2.5 years on). He loves it! I find it pretty wide and not much cop for jumping and fast work but being only 13hh with an adult rider, we're a little restricted as to what saddles will fit both of us.
- The Heather Moffett FlexEE. I found it very perched and unstable, pony wasn't overly bothered about it but when he went into trot I felt hugely unsafe and jumped off. Not for us although I know of other people who have them and love them.

I'm hoping to try a Ghost saddle fairly soon (when my treed saddle finally sells) as the new models look a lot more supportive than what we're used to. I'm just hoping they will come short enough in the back to suit...

I have just trialled and ordered a ghost saddle. I found it wonderfully comfortable and secure. Both my mares love it too. Very versatile little saddle. Have a chat with Louise at equine whispers.
Also have a look at treefree saddles. Again lovely and comfortable and stable on my cobs. My big lad I ride with a heather moffett Phoenix. Lovely saddle but of them all I'm loving the ghost.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I have a Heather Moffett and I really like it, rides just as good as a treed. The only problem is its tendency to slip when you first mount. It's best to warm it to the horses back first. Once you have ridden for a bit it's much better and does not move.

kaiserchief

Visit site
brucethegypsycob, which model Ghost have you gone for? I do lots of fast hacks and love jumping so the Quilty/Quevis looks like it might be most suitable, but I prefer the look of the Roma/Firenze (the longer panels look more traditional). I'd love to see some photos and hear some more about your experiences with yours - could I PM you please? :)

Beatbox

Visit site
As a convert to Solution Saddles, I would highly recommend them. I have one on their payment plan as couldn't afford the full amount at the time. Great investment - I got a good price on Ebay for my first model and upgraded this year to the new Smart V15 - fantastic ride on all my horses. You can rent until you are sure, so real piece of mind - and a great fitting service too.

springtime1331

Visit site
I've dabbled with treeless over the years. Tried and hated the barefoot Cheyenne - found it so unsupportive, next had the Heather Moffett SBS then fhoenix, both worked well on my big shouldered warmblood. Retired Warmblood and bought a tbx connie - she hated the Fhoenix with a passion. Went treed, spent a fortune and she was never happy. Then got a solution smart native on trial for 8 weeks to be sure before forking out. 6 months later and the mare still loves it, so it has been worth it for me. I found the fitter fab, and the company really easy to deal with.

wench

Visit site
I've not bought a solutions saddle, but have looked into it and found both the head office and local fitters very helpful