Trekking centre start up

Happy Stars

New User
Visit site
Im wanting to start up a trekking centre as opposed to a riding centre in my area, and wondering if there are any specific qualifications i would need in order to do this? I have experience of horses/care/ riding etc? Thanks.

misskerry

Visit site
Either your BHS AI or BET riding centre manager I should think. As well as First aid and child protection certificates. In Ireland we have an organisation called AIRE which help riding schools and trekking centres maybe there is a similer organisation where your from where you could get information from.

Rollin

Visit site
I helped a friend in Scotland set up a similar business before moving to France. In France I am licensed as a trail riding centre. I qualified as a Ride Leader in the UK.

My friend in Scotland had no qualifications at all but was able to insure through my insurance company. Regulations may have changed but at that time you needed a licence from the local authority and public liability insurance.

So you need to find someone who will insure you!!! If you have that you can apply for a licence. In Scotland the LA appointed a vet who inspected the premises and the horses.

This included fire safety, first aid kit for people and horses (in France the people first aid is specified by item and I must carry it at all times), grazing, water and shade for horses. Tack is also inspected.

I hope this is helpful.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
In addition to the BHSAI qualification mentioned above, the BHS actually offers equine tourism qualifications in close collaboration with The Trekking and Riding Society of Scotland, The Association of Irish Riding Establishments and The Welsh Trekking and Riding Association. Have a look at the Assistant Ride Leader, Ride Leader and Riding Holiday Centre Manager information, or email exams@bhs.org.uk. We also have a separate approvals category for Trekking centres - contact approvals@bhs.org.uk if you're interested in the scheme.

As mentioned, you'll need appropriate insurance and a licence. If you're already operating a riding centre, speak to your current insurer about any necessary changes to your cover (you can also contact approvals@bhs.org.uk for more advice). For licensing requirements, again, you'll already be familiar with this but contact your local authority to discuss your proposed changes.