Trial before purchase?

indie999

Visit site
Hi

Is it unreasonable to ask to trial a horse and how long for is reasonable with a view to purchase?

I let someone have a childs pony for a month during which they got it vetted etc, they did purchase the pony and I knew exactly where it was going to etc.

I would think it was reasonable if the costs for transporting ,were met by myself. But is this the norm?

Should there be an agreement etc? I just dont want to buy a load of trouble myself .

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Personally I would be against allowing a horse or pony to go to a stranger for a trial. In a week a horse can be messed up a month and it could well be set back for months and then the purchaser decides not to buy it.
Will the purchaser insure it? Supposing whilst on trial it gets kicked and is lame for several months with a hefty vet bill to follow? Who pays?

If I have anything for sale then the purchaser can give it any trial on the premises, take it to a local cross country course or even have a day hunting but, to take it away then I will not, unless I know the people personally, allow it.

Janah

Visit site
Someone asked for a months trial. I refused as she couldn't stop her in the school on first visit. Suggested she come and ride at her convenience as much as she liked. She refused as an hour drive too much. She didn't have to catch, groom or tack up and put out or clean tack so what was the problem? She never came back. Accident waiting to happen or one wrecked horse returned after a month.

Jane

FiFiMollz

Visit site
My neighbour recently allowed her horse on one weeks trial to a family that seemed quite knowledgable with horses. However, on its return the horse was very sensitive of his ears and would not allow the owner to tack him up without rearing up and pawing!

Although this may only be a small example. There are many risks for owners to allowing their horse on trial. Particularly, if the facilities available are unsuitable, eg fencing etc and horse is involved in an accident.

ElliePinza

www.chigride.co.uk
I would always want a 1-2 week trial before purchasing a horse that has supposedly been seen and done or is supposed to be bombproof. On the other hand if I was looking for a project I may be more happy to gamble :) x

JoBird

Visit site
I had two terrible experiences of allowing horses to go out on trial and would never allow it again. People can take my horse out for the day or to a competition but I would not let them take the horse to their home/another yard until they owned it.

Some examples of what went wrong were ....
a) The shut my show pony in a stable and took the other horses to pony club camp. Poor pony went frantic alone and jumped out of their stables. Had the pony for 8 weeks in total and then on the final day didnt have him after jumping him senseless! Basically they just wanted them for their friends to use in the school holidays!
b) Horse went to someones yard and stepped on himself in the lorry so had to stay their till sound. It was an adults ride (TB) and yet they put a 7 year old child on him the first day he could be ridden and he bucked her off! Worried on many counts what if child had been killed etc. I paid to bring the horse back as they werent suitable owners.

Basically, some people do NOT treat horses on loan/trial as their own - they try and fit a year's riding into a week's trial! Far too many risks all round.
If you are able to trial a horse at your own place then you are VERY lucky and please take things slowly!