Trial period any info..

xTrooperx

Visit site
I'm currently horse searching, I've found what I hope is my perfect match ticks all my boxes from advert and contact I've had ( contact asking more questions), I'm about to arrange a visit.
If all goes well I hope to go a head with buy if a clear vet check comes back, but I would ideally like a trial to see if we get along, not a one off happy moment, but im very worried about bringing this up, how long is the normal trial length and do I pay half up front and rest at end of trial? And as a seller would you allow a trial? ....if they refuse should I walk away?, they may wish to hide something ( bad habit) Any info about this area I would be very grateful, if There are any errors in this text blame my not so smart, smart phone. Thanks

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Tricky - from a vendors point of view a lot can go wrong, even if you only had it for a week. If you are determined that you need a trial then perhaps you should bring it up sooner rather than later. Failing that could you arrange several trials at the vendors property? If I were a vendor considering a trial I would want a contract drawn up and at least a 50% deposit.

Suelin

Visit site
Personally there are no circumstances that would convince me to allow my horse to leave my yard until he had been fully paid for. The seller has no way of knowing what any prospective buyer might do with their horse and if it gets damaged in any way then the seller is left with the problem. Put yourself in their shoes, would you be happy to let the horse go on a trial?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As a seller I would always say no to a trial, unless it was from my yard - with the potential purchaser coming to ride and handle the horse over a week, under my observation.

However, that doesn't mean to say that all sellers would say no.

So, if you like the horse, simply ask the seller if they'd consider letting you have the horse on trial. You'd then have to negotiate monies upfront and vettings etc.

kerilli

Visit site
I'll go against the grain, I always allow (require, actually) a trial. But, I ask for full payment before the horse leaves my yard, and for the horse to be fully insured. I have never had a problem and never had one sent back. It gives the buyer peace of mind and allows the horse time to settle in, also they are more likely to call me if they have a question or problem (fine by me, as I know the horse inside out!) than if they view the horse as 'sold' I think. Better for the horse, better for me too (can sleep at night). But I don't sell many and I only sell horses I have owned for a long time, so it's a bit unusual I guess.
Good luck in your search.

Wheels

Visit site
I am currently selling one of mine and I have allowed a trial well it's loan with a view to buy. I have allowed this on this particular occassion because a) the potential purchasers and I have some mutual friends who have given me comfort that the horse is in good hands; b) the potential purchaser lives less than 5 miles from me and my horse is out in a field I pass regularly so I can check on him as often as possible c) I think the horse is perfect for the people he has gone to and vice versa d) I 100% know that the horse will not throw anybody off or do anything remotely wrong

In normal circumstances I would not allow a trial where the horse would be removed from my yard. I would only let the potential buyer try the horse when I was present, be that at my yard or a hired school / xc course etc.

I wouldn't be offended if someone asked though so if it is really what you want then there is no harm asking

maree t

Visit site
You will get nothing if you dont ask.
Personally I would not let one of mine go on trial to somebody I dont know.

PandorasJar

Visit site
As a seller I would always say no to a trial, unless it was from my yard - with the potential purchaser coming to ride and handle the horse over a week, under my observation.

However, that doesn't mean to say that all sellers would say no.

So, if you like the horse, simply ask the seller if they'd consider letting you have the horse on trial. You'd then have to negotiate monies upfront and vettings etc.

^^ This

No trial isn't always an automatic red flag, it often simply means that the seller is being just as cautious as the buyer

Pan

micramadam

Visit site
We got our latest one on a 2 week trial.
The owners brought her to our yard and both the owners and I signed a contract for the trial period. There were various clauses in the contract to cover both parties should anything untoward happen and if she was returned after 2 weeks (in the same state) a full refund would be given. Have to say that after 2 weeks she was already in much better state than when they left her.

smiggy

Visit site
As someone selling a pony and having my time wasted no end :(, may I suggest that if a trial is a deal breaker for you, you discuss it before viewing the horse.
Can see why you would want one but equally why vendors would be cautious, no one is going to mind you asking before viewing though.
Good luck with your purchase :)

Bertolie

Visit site
When I bought my horse I asked for, and was given a one week trial period. I picked the horse up, left a cheque for the full agreed price dated the day the trial ended, we both signed a trial agreement 'contract', with the agreement that if the horse was returned the cheque would be handed back to me. Her horse insurance covered her horse on loan so I didn't have to take out additional insurance.

The seller admitted that she didn't normally agree to trial periods but thought I was ideal for the horse and really wanted me to have him and that was why she agreed to the trial.

I would ask the question - you never know what the answer will be!

Last edited:

xTrooperx

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments, a trial isn't a deal breaker but hearing a few stories ppl buying what seemed a good match to find things were not as seem. I very much understand the sellers views, so I will prob leave the trial out but will take great caution in making sure horse is right even if I come across as a Pain :0). I'm just worried that said horse will be snapped up before hand.

mandwhy

Visit site
I'm sure if you put a deposit down to show you are serious then most people would allow you to try the horse several times at its current home, but I don't think I would allow it to leave the premises without the full amount, and as a buyer I wouldn't be comfortable leaving money with a seller really unless it was a reputable dealer. If you want to do it this way a dealer might bea good bet as they often let you return/exchange them anyway!

Then again if the horse was a bit difficult to sell or a project then I might take what I could get. If it is a safe family pc allrounder or something then you can but ask!

PuzzlePiece

Visit site
With all the horses i have been to look at (about 6/7) I have always asked if they would consider a trial. All (except one very dodgy ran a mile at word vetting) said no but I could go and visit the horse on the current yard as much as i wanted before a sale was agreed. If you were able to organise a trial please get a contract drawn up so you both know where you stand on liability etc and id expect theyd want the full price paying.
Good luck with your horse search, I hope youve found the right one.

rockysmum

Visit site
The last pony I sold I let them have her on a months trial. Lovely people who looked after her really well and bought her at the end of it. However it did cause some problems. My daughter had only agreed to part with her pony to get a bigger one. We couldn't buy another until we knew whether the first one was coming back. So I had several weeks of very unhappy kid but it worked out in the end.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I've had the last 3 horses on a short trial. I took out the insurance and had agreements drawn up. I bought them after the trial and had them vetted. They were only local so the owner could call anytime. I've had some bad experiences buying so even if I loved the horse I wouldn't buy without a trial.