Trickle-haynet

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I find the original green strings that the Tricklenets had (the one I bought in 2011 has the slippery green string on it and still has no signs of fraying), were easier to close. My new one that I bought this past December has the new yellow string but I find that it is starting to fray but the net itself, is still going strong!

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have a few and so do a few of my Part liveries. They are fab, and slow them right down. Plus they don't rip and still look as good as new. However, I've had a complete turn around re. to giving one to my horse as the pulling action caused him to have a sore neck and because he competes BD and works quite hard he now has a haybar. I weigh his hay and then give him hay 3-4 times per day. Such a shame as effectively he always had ad lib hay with the trickle net but without having huge amounts of hay, now he does have times where he doesn't have hay :(

MillionDollar

Visit site
I find the original green strings that the Tricklenets had (the one I bought in 2011 has the slippery green string on it and still has no signs of fraying), were easier to close. My new one that I bought this past December has the new yellow string but I find that it is starting to fray but the net itself, is still going strong!

I too prefer the old draw strings, I find the new ones too thick and much harder to tie up.

Weeamigo

Visit site
I have one for both my ponies and they have been worth every penny. I would recommend them to anyone that needs to restrict what their horse eats while still allowing them access to forage. They have worked wonders on my ponies waist lines, and I like the fact that you can't over fill them so I never over feed my ponies either.

The only down side is you take off half of your knuckles when filling them up, but they do soften up after a while. I think of all the money I spent on other nets to double and triple net, the time it took me to fill them and the amount of them that broke in a week. These net's are far better than anything else I have used, I wish they had been about years ago!

Equimo

Visit site
I'd be amazed if it had broken-they seem virtually indestructible! There's a big ID on our yard,who is a serial net-wrecker and he's not managed to so much as tweak his tricklenet,let alone rip or chew it! (Had it for over a year and used daily.) They last the horses between 5 and 7 hours (depending on greediness!) and our owners think that's well worth the £30... :)
However,I will say Equimo,the drawstring/twine broke on half of our within a few months. (It broke on the ones used by the greediest/most aggressive eaters) and we have had to replace with polyproplene type rope but even this breaks every few weeks. It seems to be because the net itself is so goddam tough,it abrades the drawstring,which then frays and snaps. A more durable string is needed-perhaps what the net itself is made of? Any chance of 3 replacement strings?!? :D

Your right. The original green rope would sometimes fray and be prone to breaking so we changed it to a more expensive yellow rope which is tougher. But your spot on. The nets are so tough, it's the wear on the rope which occurs first. Without spending an absolute fortune on 'climbing' type rope we are unsure how to improve this further. However I am looking into it, and hope to change the rope again soon without having to increase the price of the product.
It needs to be a 'poly' rope to slide in the netting for ease of use. Though we can't seem to find one tough enough for our nets!

Drop us a line through the website and we'll get some new ropes out to you :)

P.S. The Trickle Net is not indestructible though, we do get reports of damage sometimes. Some horses make it thier personal mission and life goal to break through this net!!!

Triskar

Visit site
I bought some brilliant small mesh nets made from fishing net on eBay because I bought Shires Small Mesh nets which the horses just ate holes in, so I still ended up double netting them - the holes in these ones seem to be the same sort of size as the Shires Small Mesh nets, but they are really strong and they are guaranteeing them for 5 years! One section of hay is now lasting my greedy mare 2 hours instead of 20 minutes from one of these nets (and no double netting! I bought small and large nets, but they also do extra large and medium. Heres the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hay-Hayla...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item3f221fdc54

galaxy

Visit site
I have had my tricklenet over a year now. One piece has broken so there is one slightly larger hole now, but it is still smaller than the normal small hole haynet holes!! My girl doesn't seem to focus on this either. I loop the top shut too :)

I tried double/triple netting and a tricklenet is more effective in slowing them done by miles! My girl also destroyed 4 nets in 6 months, so the tricklenet has easily paid for itself!

Was speaking to a vet a couple of weeks ago and she said that she loved them and told everyone to buy them! Some people have concerned about the effect on horses necks, but she said that she had seen no problems and with peoples habit of overfeeding horses into obesity the possibility of that negative was far outweighed by the benefites.

Equimo I had heard talk of a pony net being made.... Are you any further forward in bringing it out?

galaxy

Visit site
I bought some brilliant small mesh nets made from fishing net on eBay because I bought Shires Small Mesh nets which the horses just ate holes in, so I still ended up double netting them - the holes in these ones seem to be the same sort of size as the Shires Small Mesh nets, but they are really strong and they are guaranteeing them for 5 years! One section of hay is now lasting my greedy mare 2 hours instead of 20 minutes from one of these nets (and no double netting! I bought small and large nets, but they also do extra large and medium. Heres the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hay-Hayla...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item3f221fdc54

The tricklenet holes are about half the size of the ones in those nets :)

Equimo

Visit site
We made some prototypes which are a really nice size. About two thirds of the standard size. The problem is they take the same time to make, and the little bit of material we save (ropes are same length) doesn't outweigh the high labour costs. So we would have to charge the same, or possibly just a couple of pounds less and take less profit from them. I'm just not sure people would pay £28 to £30 for the smaller net when they already complain about the price of a standard. Naturally, once they have seen it and used it they understand why it's £30! But getting people to understand this is no ordinary net is quite tough. I would never pay £30 for a small hole hay net!!! Trickle Nets are something else though :)

Venevidivici

Visit site
Equimo-thank you,I will do that. Lovely customer service & much appreciated,thanks:) And yes,I have always noticed that the people who slate tricklenets and say they aren't worth the money, do NOT ever seem to have actually seen or used one?! If they had,I doubt very much they would...:)

galaxy

Visit site
My green rope broke on a tie ring that had a small gap in it. I replaced the tie ring and bought some red rope and blue from B&Q that has worked brilliantly....

Shame about the pony net. I have a client with a greedy small pony, but she wouldn't trust her OH not to fill the entire net! lol!