Trickle Net Vs Hires Greedy Feeder?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've got a very good doer native pony & he's muzzled in the day when he's out & has double or triple netted haynets of soaked & rinsed hay over night when he's stabled.

I just use normal haynets inside each other at the moment, but P's quite canny & is eating his eating the nets to make larger holes - so less effort & greater reward for him at the moment!

I'm considering getting a trickle net or Shires greedy feeder net - does anyone use either? There's a bit of a price difference - is the trickle net worth £30? I'm happy to pay if it goes, but I don't want waste £30 on something he'll eat through in a month!

I've tried an Elim-a-net, which lasted even less time than regular haynets!

X

Cowpony

Visit site
I've only just got the tricklenet (see my post below) so can't comment on its long term efficacy. But my mare tears holes in elimanets for a passtime. So far the tricklenet appears to have slowed her down a lot.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have a a greedy feeder.

Daughter's 11 hander made short work of it. On the first evening she chewed herself a huge hole in the middle so she could stick her nose right in.

Won't be buying another.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I wasn't going to get another elim-a-net - P is far too canny for them!

It's a toss up between the trickle feeder & greedy feeder & just not sure which one to order!

If I was to go with the greedy feeder, for a 14hh NF - what size would you go for? There seems to be a small & large.

I believe the trickle net only comes in one size, though .

Mongoose11

Visit site
Go straight to the tricklenet. It's the only net my mare hasn't managed to make a hole in. The other two suggested are far too flimsy. TN is worth every Penny of the price.

Weesielou

Visit site
If you have facebook search for a lady called clare Cornforth she makes haynets out of fishing net material and can make a nibble net as well, she makes any size you need. I bought a 3.5ft small holed haylege net at the beginning of last winter and it still looks brand new and not a chewed bit in sight. My eliminet lasted about 1 week.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I bought an Eliminet and it lasted less than a week, and the holes were big enough that my boy still troughed the lot in short order.

Got a trickle net and it has been FAB. 18 months on and it still has no holes. It is much better at slowing him down. The material is just heavy and robust and different, and it stays in (a very unusual) shape.

Trickle net every time. Worth the £30.

ghostie

Visit site
I have recently switched to a Nibbleze and they are fantastic. Much better quality than the Trickle net in my opinion and cheaper too :)

McCauley

Visit site
Got my first trickle net 18 months ago and it still looks like new! Had another bought for my horse as a 'Christmas Pressie' for him from my parents so i can prepare and soak one net, while the other is being used.

£30 seems alot granted,....but i can't see me having to buy any more nets for a long time to come! :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Fabulous, thank you for all your replies - it sounds like the Trickle Net is worth giving a go :) Although I'm not sure if P would agree ...! X

PStarfish

Visit site
I bought a trickle net just over a year ago. Was very impressed to start with but horse has now made two huge holes - one in each side. At £30 a net I won't be replacing it.

touchstone

Visit site
I bought the Shires net last winter and use it overnight for a 14hh, it has lasted well so far and I'd buy another when needed.