Trigeminal Nerve pain

Breagha

Visit site
Very sorry I was hoping you would have a better outcome. Well done for doing the best for your horse.

Thanks - I was hoping they would find something on their tests yesterday as then you knew you could treat it but i think its harder when nothing is found and the diagnosis is the trigeminal.

So sorry to hear this, I've been there and its tough

Thank you. Yes, it isn't easy. She is only 10. I was hoping for them to find something. They have given me the Gabapentin to try but I have decided not to try it as I do not want to medicate her to ride. I only took them yesterday as my head was minced with the waiting and then the outcome.

pastit

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. Thanks for the update - even though CT scans were not really around when my horse was going through it, the 'what ifs' still play in my head. Wishing you all the best.

Breagha

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. Thanks for the update - even though CT scans were not really around when my horse was going through it, the 'what ifs' still play in my head. Wishing you all the best.

Yes there is still some amount of what ifs, even though they have checked everything. I was willing them to find something wrong with her so that we had something to treat.

Thank you. x

Fellewell

Visit site
I wondered how you got on, so sorry it isn't better news. Once they start mentioning trigeminal nerve involvement it's really tough. It seems they still know so little about it. But she's got you to look after her and hopefully some happy years ahead.

Breagha

Visit site
I wondered how you got on, so sorry it isn't better news. Once they start mentioning trigeminal nerve involvement it's really tough. It seems they still know so little about it. But she's got you to look after her and hopefully some happy years ahead.

Yes, I had resigned myself to it being that diagnosis for sure but was still living in some hope they would find "something". Yes, she still has a home for life with me. So, I am going to look into putting her into foal as the vet said there is no evidence to say it is heredity. Couldn't afford to replace her to get a ridden horse, so will have to ride my husbands horse and do a lot more with my daughter and her section a. Plenty to keep me busy.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Have you tried addressing the diet? Reducing grass and adding salt and magnesium ? Mine starts head nodding on grass so I have to severely restrict his grass intake especially if it's sunny.

Breagha

Visit site
Have you tried addressing the diet? Reducing grass and adding salt and magnesium ? Mine starts head nodding on grass so I have to severely restrict his grass intake especially if it's sunny.

Hi,

Yes, I took her off all feed except for fibrebeet, there isnt much grass in our paddocks and tried her on hay and then haylage. She only does it when pressure is applied to the reins. She has been in the same paddock and same routine for 5 years. I have exhausted all options, so retired to the field is her best option for a pain free life. Unless it gets worse and she starts doing it in the field then I will make the decision then.

Thanks
Jenna