trigeminal neuralgia (Vertical headshaking) and PENS treatment

Kezza

Visit site
Anyone had their horse (or themselves) diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia which in horses presents itself as headshaking vertically due to wind, rain, flies or anything hitting their face? I'm hoping to treat it with PENS therapy and I think the closest place to Kent that offers it is the royal vet college in Herts. I'm also getting him a back on track cap, a cashel full face ears and nose fly mask and quiet ride mask and going to try a snuggyhoods turn out hood. I tried just a nose net today in the rain but it didn't help :(

old hand

Visit site
I have had this but it was caused by a sarcoid rooting in the trimegial nerve, once the sarcoid died off ( following sarc x cream and powder) he improved and is now fine, what is strange is that the head shaking started at least a year before any evidence of the sarcoid yet they are supposed to be fast growing. It is very dangerous though, we had a rotational fall over a fence because of it, it was the first day it had happened and he started chucking his head so high I could see his face and yet still tried to jump a jump, would not stop and we had a dreadful fall. He was fine I still suffer from a frozen shoulder.

Kezza

Visit site
Yes it seems there can be a number of causes and I'd be so relieved if the vet does find a cause that can be treated but if not PENS treatment seems to work well to manage the pain

Fun Times

Visit site
I think (although could be wrong) that former forum user cptrayes had a horse with this problem. It may be worth searching for her posts.

Kezza

Visit site
I think (although could be wrong) that former forum user cptrayes had a horse with this problem. It may be worth searching for her posts.

Thank you, a search had brought up quite a few posts so am now reading through, thanks for the suggestion :)