Trimediazine

chewitt

Visit site
My 23 year old pony, has just had part of her tail amputated, as a result of an infection. This started 4 weeks ago, vet out was prescribed trimediazine at 10g twice a day for 5 days. It started to heal, swabs showed bacterial infection, fast forward nearly 3 weeks & an abscess appeared, again trimediazine prescribed 10g twice a day, mud fever cream & manuka honey, 2 days later 2 choices tail removed or pts as infection was in her joints on the lower part of tail. Tail now removed, bute & trimediazine prescribed, but the dosage for trimediazine this time is half a sachet twice a day, which is a big difference. Could the vet initially prescribed the incorrect dosage that could have resulted in the infection not clearing fully. Thanks for any help, just now feel like she may not have had to go through all this if the correct dosage had been given to start with.

Rob1585

Visit site
It depends, how heavy was the pony? Often it's used at a higher dose, as its easier to feed 1/2 sachet rather than weigh out 10g, and very safe to give more.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've always been told to feed half or a full sachet for a single dose I've never heard of feeding 10g of it to a horse, that's hardly anything compared to the whole sachet.

I would make a complaint about it really doesn't sound right to me.

chewitt

Visit site
I've always been told to feed half or a full sachet for a single dose I've never heard of feeding 10g of it to a horse, that's hardly anything compared to the whole sachet.

I would make a complaint about it really doesn't sound right to me.
Thank you! The equine hospital that did the amputation have prescribed 1/2 sachet twice a day, I queried it as it was a lot higher than she had been prescribed by the vet at the start! My complaint is in process of been submitted, as we just feel it may not have had to be removed!

chewitt

Visit site
It depends, how heavy was the pony? Often it's used at a higher dose, as its easier to feed 1/2 sachet rather than weigh out 10g, and very safe to give more.
Thank you, she has been weighed & prescribed 1/2 a sachet twice a day since the removal, so I would expect the dosage to be the same when the vet prescribed at the start!

chewitt

Visit site
I'd cool your jets a bit before firing off an official complaint - maybe just ask the vet first if it was the correct dose for your pony first A sachet of Trim is a daily dose for a 500kg horse, so a 10g dose isn't beyond the realms of possibility if the pony is very small.
Thank you. There is a big difference in dosage she is on after the operation to what she was on when the infection started, which I queried with the equine hospital & they confirmed the 1/2 sachet twice a day was the correct dosage for her weight.

Auslander

Visit site
Thank you. There is a big difference in dosage she is on after the operation to what she was on when the infection started, which I queried with the equine hospital & they confirmed the 1/2 sachet twice a day was the correct dosage for her weight.
Not going to comment on what the hospital has prescribed, as I'm not a vet, and I have ultimate respect for the job they do. However, a full sachet per day is a 500kg horse dose, so it could be that they have prescribed it at a higher dose because of what she's had done, and the infection that led to the procedure. It could be that the original dose was deemed appropriate for a small pony, so again, I'd want to have a conversation with my vet, rather than jumping straight in with a formal complaint.

TheMule

Visit site
Not going to comment on what the hospital has prescribed, as I'm not a vet, and I have ultimate respect for the job they do. However, a full sachet per day is a 500kg horse dose, so it could be that they have prescribed it at a higher dose because of what she's had done, and the infection that led to the procedure. It could be that the original dose was deemed appropriate for a small pony, so again, I'd want to have a conversation with my vet, rather than jumping straight in with a formal complaint.

Thank you for speaking some reason

Rob1585

Visit site
Dose purely alone, 10g would treat a 1-200kg horse at 15-30mg/kg. However, the horse got better initially, which suggests the treatment was appropriate, often wounds flare because the initial damage was deeper than expected, and a deterioration 3 weeks later would be common from a sequestrum. (Piece of dead bone, usually from initial injury, not from antibiotics/infection)

Just think what outcome you’re expecting from a complaint. An initial query might be a ‘kinder/productive’ approach.

A common argument about vets are that they are expensive, however if every minor issue leads to a written complaint, it means vets are more likely to be risk adverse and over investigate/treat to cover themselves.

chewitt

Visit site
Dose purely alone, 10g would treat a 1-200kg horse at 15-30mg/kg. However, the horse got better initially, which suggests the treatment was appropriate, often wounds flare because the initial damage was deeper than expected, and a deterioration 3 weeks later would be common from a sequestrum. (Piece of dead bone, usually from initial injury, not from antibiotics/infection)

Just think what outcome you’re expecting from a complaint. An initial query might be a ‘kinder/productive’ approach.

A common argument about vets are that they are expensive, however if every minor issue leads to a written complaint, it means vets are more likely to be risk adverse and over investigate/treat to cover themselves.
I am waiting for the vet to get back to me, I was just querying dosage as it is a big difference & the surgeon confirmed correct amount based on weight was 1/2 sachet. Complaint will go in if needed once I have the answers needed.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
The datasheet does suggests 15-30mg/kg once a day, or split and given twice daily. Aka, 1/2 sachet once daily or 12.5g twice daily for a 250kg pony would be your standard dose.

Assuming pony is about 200kg, the dose range is still correct at 10g twice daily, but at the lower end of the dose range. The hospital has likely prescribed a higher dose due to the operation and previous infection. Neither is necessarily wrong.

Hope your pony recovers well!

chewitt

Visit site
The datasheet does suggests 15-30mg/kg once a day, or split and given twice daily. Aka, 1/2 sachet once daily or 12.5g twice daily for a 250kg pony would be your standard dose.

Assuming pony is about 200kg, the dose range is still correct at 10g twice daily, but at the lower end of the dose range. The hospital has likely prescribed a higher dose due to the operation and previous infection. Neither is necessarily wrong.

Hope your pony recovers well!
Thank you, she weighed 289kg. We only queried due to the big difference, so wanted to make sure she had been given the correct dosage on all occasions! They have said the 1/2 sachet twice daily since amputation is to make measuring easier!
She seems brighter today thank you 😊