Trimmers Or Clippers To Hog Mane And Trim Legs?

acorn92x

Visit site
This is for a cob. What would you recommend? This wouldn't be a start from scratch job either, would just be for general maintenance :) it seems daft buying a set of clippers when all they would be used for would be hogging and trimming legs and maybe the occasional bib clip but Ii'm not sure whether cob hair would be too thick for trimmers? Trimmers would be a good brand such as Liveryman, Wahl etc. Any thoughts/experience?

DressageCob

Visit site
I've tried to do my cob's legs with liveryman trimmers (he's a fine bob, not full feathers) and they just aren't powerful enough to get through the cobby hair. I'd recommend getting some proper clippers. I used Liveryman Harmony clippers on my horse's legs for a while and they were just enough to do the job. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My lister liberty CLIPPERS aren't powerful enough on cob hair. You will need heavy duty clippers I'm afraid. Plus it grows like stink. I hog my cob about once a month!

acorn92x

Visit site
I was looking at the Liveryman element ones actually! Those alongside the Liveryman Classic red ones. I wasn't sure if it'd make a difference if the trimming was kept on top of as I wouldn't want to be buying new blades or trimmers every month if I was making them blunt! I had a look at the Liveryman harmony clippers and wasn't sure whether to just go for them rather than taking my chances with something smaller?

Micky

Visit site
I've used trimmers for the last few years and am now investing in a pair of clippers after watching a friend clip his legs out like a knife through butter! Trimmers are great for his beard etc but now sthe time to spend a bit more and learn how to clip too!!

acorn92x

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I might look at the Liveryman Harmony ones. I thought I was being over-ambitious with hoping I'd get away with a trimmer! If anyone does use a trimmer for this, please feel free to let me know!

ElliePippa

Visit site
I think if you were re-trimming every week, ie- taking off millimeters at a time, good mains trimmers could be OK. However, I don't think they'd have much longevity with this type of work. I take the vast majority off the legs with my heinigers and then use my crappy masterclip trimmers to neaten up the fiddly bits. The trimmers have lasted surprisingly well, I do however, foresee a replacement being necessary quite soon.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've always used heavy duty heiniger clippers with cattle blades, and even these go blunt pretty quickly.

paddyrose

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I might look at the Liveryman Harmony ones. I thought I was being over-ambitious with hoping I'd get away with a trimmer! If anyone does use a trimmer for this, please feel free to let me know!

I tried the liveryman trimmers but the blades were blunt so quickly and at £16 a set was getting expensive! Bit the bullet and bought some Lister star clippers. They are brilliant ,big blades but nice compact body so are easy to manoeuvre round legs. Great for body clips too Love them.