Trimming cob feathers

Lwilson

New User
Visit site
Please help!
I have a 14.2 gypsy cob who isn’t overly heavy however has full feather. He looks super smart clipped out however it’s a slight death wish as he absolutely hates clippers so I have to get him sedated which is pretty pricey for every 4-6 weeks!!
Has anybody taken heavy feather off any other way than clippers? I’ve tried a thinning rake but did go to look a bit like I had already clipped him and they were growing back out stage.
I’ve attached pictures of him clipped and then slightly thinned feathers.
Any advice/pictures would be really appreciated!
Thank you ?8507F6AB-829E-4F48-93E0-174DA746FBBD.jpegF9DCF257-DCD1-4FF7-A978-945970152CEC.jpeg

Firefly9410

Visit site
Nice horse! You can do it with a comb and scissors. Will not be as close as a clip but still looking smart. Get the mane comb in at the roots, comb upwards against the lie of the hair and snip off anything sticking out of the comb teeth. Start with the bit below the knee or hock and work your way down to the coronet. Doing it like that it does not look cut but like a horse who naturally has less feather. Put plasters round your fingers before you start or you will have blisters long before you have finished.

eggs

Visit site
Scissors and a comb as Firefly says. If you are feeling confident you can do it without the mane comb but it takes a bit more practice to avoid the 'step' look.

M&M&G

Visit site
Lovely cob!

Me too for scissors and comb - I find it strangely therapeutic, mindful trimming as I get completely absorbed! I like the results too, clipping makes my mare's legs look too fine, she looks more in proportion just trimmed