Trotters and Pacers

Lamb-Ski

Visit site
Hi, I don't know anything about Trotters but have owned a pacer and have friends who have them. Known as Standardbreds, I can say they are probably the most biddable horses around. Handsome, independant, brave and about as bombproof as you can get. Mine paced from 2 to 6 then I backed him to be ridden, easy peasy. I never allowed him to pace and although he might pace a couple of strides if confused he was a quick learner. Canter can be slow to materialise. They jump and are very good endurance horses.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
Hi, I don't know anything about Trotters but have owned a pacer and have friends who have them. Known as Standardbreds, I can say they are probably the most biddable horses around. Handsome, independant, brave and about as bombproof as you can get. Mine paced from 2 to 6 then I backed him to be ridden, easy peasy. I never allowed him to pace and although he might pace a couple of strides if confused he was a quick learner. Canter can be slow to materialise. They jump and are very good endurance horses.

Thank you, that's really helpful.

Templebar

Visit site
The ones i have met, are very easy going and yes very bombproof. One i knew paced, most of his life, he could trot too but paced when excited. He used to canter and jump really well but it too a while to get there and he seemed to have a light bulb moment when he got it.

Another i know doesn't pace any more, grew out of it really quickly. However she really struggles to get canter.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
The ones i have met, are very easy going and yes very bombproof. One i knew paced, most of his life, he could trot too but paced when excited. He used to canter and jump really well but it too a while to get there and he seemed to have a light bulb moment when he got it.

Another i know doesn't pace any more, grew out of it really quickly. However she really struggles to get canter.

Canter was something I was curious about.

Shantara

Visit site
I have a riding pacer, who's now "reformed" and only really trots.

Because of a VERY rocky start to life, he can be a bit of a handful. He's got a great (if slightly unusual) jump, he's extremely fast and responsive, but can worry.

They're like TBs....but better :D

I would get another in a heartbeat :)

IMG_2505_zps63be0bb1.jpg

DSCF1323_zps78eb6caf.jpg

Though sometime he still can pace if he gets muddled or frightened.
IMG_2257_zps18756266.jpg

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I have a riding pacer, who's now "reformed" and only really trots.

Because of a VERY rocky start to life, he can be a bit of a handful. He's got a great (if slightly unusual) jump, he's extremely fast and responsive, but can worry.

They're like TBs....but better :D

I would get another in a heartbeat :)

IMG_2505_zps63be0bb1.jpg

DSCF1323_zps78eb6caf.jpg

Though sometime he still can pace if he gets muddled or frightened.
IMG_2257_zps18756266.jpg

Lovely pictures, thank you.
What does the pacing feel like? Can you rise to it? Is it like the Icelandic tolt?

Shantara

Visit site
Lovely pictures, thank you.
What does the pacing feel like? Can you rise to it? Is it like the Icelandic tolt?

Normally he only does it for a few steps before either cantering or trotting, but I did manage to get him to pace and I didn't feel like I had to rise as it was pretty smooth, but I could have done :) It felt as fast as galloping, it was awesome!

flurryjuno

Visit site
I had a trotter, most amazing easy jump on a pony I'd ever rode, also once canter was sorted the trotting/pacing was never a problem unless he got confused or distracted. Was like a lightbulb moment for him like Templebar said! He was a really good pony, everyone with them that I know say they're really good genuine horses:) Not many people who rode him though could quite 'get' him if you know what I mean, hope I helped:)

flurryjuno

Visit site
Normally he only does it for a few steps before either cantering or trotting, but I did manage to get him to pace and I didn't feel like I had to rise as it was pretty smooth, but I could have done :) It felt as fast as galloping, it was awesome!

When I took mine for the beach the first time, ended up with him trotting because he was so confused whilst my friends galloped! Talk about weird experience:p

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Harness racing trotting is as big in Sweden as horse racing with Thoroughbreds are in UK, hence there is a lot of ex trotters that becomes riding horses over here. As mentioned, some doesn't automatically understand how to canter, but I've never heard of anyone that didn't get the hang of it eventually.

As I recall it, Jappeloup who won the individual gold medal in jumping in 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, together with Pierre Durand, Jr, was part French trotter on one side.

Shantara

Visit site
When I took mine for the beach the first time, ended up with him trotting because he was so confused whilst my friends galloped! Talk about weird experience:p

Oh goodness that brings back memories of hacking with the group!

"Did you get a canter Em?"
"No!"
"Ah well, we went as fast as we could!"