Trotters

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with retraining a trotter? We have a 3yr old with unknown breeding although said to be out of a trotter mare. She has previously been ridden and driven. Was brought from a friend of ours who brought her in poor condition with shoes on and fully clipped at less than two years old. Since then she has just had tlc and the old wander down the lane (led) or in hand session in the school. We have taken her to a couple of low key in hand shows but once the judge sees her trot she goes right down the line up.

Is it likely that this will improve with correct schooling once ridden or is it just how they are? Ideally we would like to do riding club activities with her.

Thanks
Tegan

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes, I did this in Belgium many years ago with a four year old trotter who was abandoned on my bosses land as wasn't good enough to win.

It is a long process....I am surprised that a 3 year old was ridden? Do you know why?

I would go right back to basics as if the horse was unbroken.

Did your horse race? If not it may be an easier process as the racers, unfortunately, can have been punished for cantering so some of them are quite fearful to canter as they anticipate being reprimanded.

Slowly, slowly and even slower but you could end up with a super horse!

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks for your reply Nic Nac. At least there may be some hope. She is a lovely mare and today the judge said she had her first until she saw her trot. I'm not sure why she was ridden. She was under 2 when our friend brought her. It may have been in an effort to sell her. I can only imagine they jumped on and chased her as I have only just taught her to trot in hand.

Our plan is to long rein her lightly over the summer and back her in the autumn as she still looks like she has some growing to do. She is 14hh at the moment. X

Tegan

Visit site
Sorry, not sure whether she was raced or not. We are hoping not! She does sometimes canter in the field now whereas when we got her she would just trot very fast. X

Nicnac

Visit site
Sounds a good plan.

There's lots of info on the US forums as they rehab standardbreds/trotters over there a bit like we rehab ex racers here so worth a look.

Good luck

NaeNae87

Visit site
There are quite a few retrained standardbreds over here.

I think the general consensus is that you need to take it slow with them, build up their muscles (especially if they raced) as trotting horses go along with their heads high and backs hollow - the exact opposite of what you want in a riding horse. When teaching them to canter under saddle, be patient work with them to get their balance good in trot and then try for the canter. Basically the same as you would for any young horse... Just be aware and patient, if they get unbalanced one of their responses is to pace.

They are willing and patient horses and will try their hearts out for you.

riderwithnohorse

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I was given a French trotter back in September. Although she had never been ridden, she took to the saddle very well and has achieved so much in six months that I can't praise this breed enough. She is a marvellous (if not cuddly) mare and I wouldn't change her for the world. To canter, we simply gave it a try now and then, towards the middle of the session so she wasn't too fresh or tired and put her on a circle. At first, she felt like she was bucking all the time but that is how uncomfortable she was in canter. Since last week, she canters on both reins (she's left footed by the way) and enjoys it. To achieve this, I have ridden her for four twenty minutes sessions a week and thrown in a bit of pessoa lunging (that was fun to watch at first). Now, I practice a lot in a western saddle because we both feel a lot more relaxed on it. When the teaching has been established, I switch back to my normal saddle and off we go. I must say, having the western saddle on has made a huge difference to how we work together; there is a lot more of a feeling of freedom and fun with it. Also, last tip I was given, and it works for us, is to ask for the canter just before you get in the corner. For some reason, my girl sees this as an ultimatum: the fence or the canter. And we canter... She is 5 this week bless her. :)