Trouble giving Alphabute!

PoppyCop

New User
Visit site
Looking for some clever tricks to administer Alphabute to my fussy mare - she's decided that she will now only eat dry food after I sneaked in some antibiotics in to her usual 'mash'! I only got away with that once but it has clearly put her off anything mushy. I can try and syringe it, but I would rather do that as a last resort.
She doesn't like peanut butter, marmite or apple sauce. I got the antibiotics down her with yoghurt.
Any suggestions gratefully received :eek:

Caracarrie

Visit site
Looking for some clever tricks to administer Alphabute to my fussy mare - she's decided that she will now only eat dry food after I sneaked in some antibiotics in to her usual 'mash'! I only got away with that once but it has clearly put her off anything mushy. I can try and syringe it, but I would rather do that as a last resort.
She doesn't like peanut butter, marmite or apple sauce. I got the antibiotics down her with yoghurt.
Any suggestions gratefully received :eek:

Yeah, it does smell a bit doesn't it! My fussy girl rejected it at first, so I added a tiny pinch to each feed and very slowly increased it. I have to say though, it really does do what it says on the tin.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm feeding mine Dodson & Horrell mint which I mix in with the breakfast and tea feeds. Helps quite a lot as she doesn't seem to always have much enthusiasm for her tea especially as she is anxious to go out into her paddock and eat grass instead! Its a pain OP when you have supplements or antibiotics and they don't finish their feeds I know.

I used to melt a couple of liquorice sticks or mints in boiling water before now but my EDT has said I need to cut down on sugary treats so instead occasionally melt a herbal treat but they are a nightmare to dissolve hence the D&H mint.