Trouble with qualifications

RFINN

New User
Visit site
I am looking to see how many people have had trouble understanding/gaining sufficient qualifications for working in our much sought after industry.
I gained a NVQ level 3 qualification in horse management, including riding. Upon completion I learned that this qualification is not recognised by our BHS society. It is only useful to gain access to their Stage 3 exam. I was under the impression by the NVQ that it was the equivalent, not an entry standard.
As i wished to gain my AI qualification I used the NVQ level 3 to access the Stage 3 and seeked help from a local FBHS to help with my training. We both agreed I was of the standard so spent what I believe a considerable amount of money entering the exam. I passed my stable management and lungeing but not the riding. I accepted on this occasion I was not up to standard, I didn't feel the ride went well either. Second attempt, again after spending alot of time and money travelling to various BHS approved centres, all of which deemed me to be of the standard, failed again. This time I found the way they told the candidates to be humiliating. All lined up, one by one we were told our fate. Upon failure having to remove our numbers, hand over our horses and exit the school.
Third time lucky. I travelled a long way to a highly reputable centre. The horses were very well turned out, I felt I rode to a high standard, the horses went well and I gave a full debrief of both my mounts. The exam ended and me and fellow candidates were left to hear our fate. After no indication, I asked the examiner should I now proceed to the jumping. She told me I could and the time I should be there. As the other candidates were now to do a stable management section, I waited in my car pleased the time and money had come to something at last. The chief examiner found me here, and told me infact, I had not made it to the jumping, despite what I had been told. Humiliated once again by the BHS I returned home. I was told the reason would be sent to me in the post, and they could reveal no more on the day.
Now, I understand and accept if I am not of the standard on the day. However, I do think the way those who don't make the grade are dealt with. A letter arrives in the post a week later, with a fairly ambiguous statement of ones riding, which we are left to interpret.
With many employers not willing to take on college students for their lack of experience on the job, NVQ's apparently not recognised, and my time with the BHS a less than encouraging experience, how are young, passionate, enthusiastic riders to get a break? I am one of the lucky ones who does have a job with horses but I do wonder how many others have had experience similar to mine who must be on the edge of despair?!

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
We're very sorry to hear about the experience you encountered during your BHS exam. While we can't comment about an individual’s performance on the day, our assessors are trained to assess to the level required and it's unacceptable that you felt humiliated at any point during your exam.

We strive to make our exams a pleasant learning experience for everyone, whatever their result. If you'd like to contact the Exams team (02476 840508 or exams@bhs.org.uk), we'll find out why this did not appear to happen to you. We are committed to making sure our qualifications remain valued by employers.

sally2

Visit site
Please do not despair there is more to the horse industry than BHS qualifications my daughter was pretty much rejected by this lot and has now forged a great and highly respected job in Canada and America earning money that people in this bloody country can only dream about. I am so proud of her she put two fingers up to them all. She could and can handle horses so much better than most of that lot.

Marydoll

Visit site
BHS, not the be all and end all, cost a fortune and some of the examiners attitudes to students left a lot to be desired, as do some of the horses and exam equipment at the BHS approved centres, having experienced issues with both.
I passed my exams and went to stage 3 with the BHS but decided not to go any further, mainly due to the cost and my experiences with them.
In teaching i decided to go the coaching route, every bit as challenging but much cheaper, with insurance cover at a great price as well on completion of the coaching certificates.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
As someone else has said, please do not feel downhearted, you can succeed without having qualifications.
My daughter grew up on a professional yard and competed successfully from an early age. Aged 16 she went off to college where she won the dressage prize for her year. If anything college dragged her riding down rather than improved it because she ended up riding all the more difficult horses rather than schoolmaster types which she had hoped would allow her to learn more advanced work. In the meantime she started Aff eventing and BD with a very good success rate, started many youngsters off and was asked by more than one professional yard to exhibit their horses. She took her first BHS exams then when moving up the scale had an experience that put her off for good. On the exam day all the students were numbered and some flustered went out of turn. her lungeing session went perfectly as did her riding, and both sessions were watched by trainers from the college, a BHSI and and Intermediate, who congratulated her immediately afterwards on how well she had performed. The girl who went after her totally messed up the lungeing session and came out in tears. When the results came out she was told she had failed the lungeing session and after talking with witnesses realised the examiners had mixed her up with the candidate who had gone out of turn. The college contacted the BHS and even sent a photo but they wouldn't admit they had made a mistake. When college finished (she passed with Distinction) she left and went to work as a WP at a well known eventing yard, groomed at 4 * level including Badminton and rode all manner of horses. From there she worked for two dressage riders again learning her craft. Her next job was for an Olympic rider who allowed her to ride all his top horses and praised her riding skills. By now she was beginning to realise qualifications really didn't matter if you excelled at your job..
She is now a professional rider and breeds her own horses, has a busy yard and occasionally grooms at 4* for the odd rider just for fun but mostly she is too busy.
Don't let the BHS get you down, trust me, the top riders appreciate good grooms/yard manager's and you can rise to the very top.
My advice is get yourself working at one of the best yards in the UK and learn. Good though it is to have qualifications when it comes to who rides better in a job interview or who has had the most experience than someone who is college trained but not that experienced you will win every time.
I hope this story gives you some encouragement!