Troubled Traveller - HELP

Cougarlady

Visit site
Hello!

So i was wondering if there were any mild sedation techniques out there.
My horse Cougar (see my dp) had to be tranquillised twice last time she travelled a decent distance and i would like not to be put in the position where this has to happen again. Is there some way i can calm her before we travel obviously not to the point where she can't stand up in the trailer. I was thinking a twitch or...? so yeah i have no idea

Thank you :*

Queenbee

Visit site
Hello!

So i was wondering if there were any mild sedation techniques out there.
My horse Cougar (see my dp) had to be tranquillised twice last time she travelled a decent distance and i would like not to be put in the position where this has to happen again. Is there some way i can calm her before we travel obviously not to the point where she can't stand up in the trailer. I was thinking a twitch or...? so yeah i have no idea

Thank you :*

There are a number of over the counter calmers designed for taking the edge off nerves for competiton purposes, you can buy them in any good tack shop or feed store. Twitching is a no no, you don't want to restrict the blood supply for that amount of time. By far your best bet is to get someone in to do a few training sessions with her so that nerves are less of an issue in the first place.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It's not recommended to sedate for travel. Ages ago I had the most awful loader and traveller and when I moved and he had to travel too come too I contacted the vets but they said no as its not safe.
I believe it's illegal but certainly unsafe for a person to travel with a horse in a box or trailer so even if twitching was possible no one could hold it.
I'd go with the practising or if its essential pay a proper transport company who are just very good at dealing with bad travellers- the one I used loaded him and everything for me- Ken Gamble horse transporters... Fab service