Troxel Riding Hats

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
Does anyone have one, if so what are they like?

When I first saw them I thought cheap trekking centre helmet but I do like the look of the Sierra. I'm after a new hat and apparently I have an odd shaped head that most riding hat don't fit properly and I like the idea that the Troxel can be customized for the best fit.

angela_l_b

Visit site
I have a Legacy Gold which is very light (I got it for schooling before work to try and prevent sweaty hat hair!). However the fit isn't amazing and it doesn't customaise very well - it comes with changeable padding (thick or thin) and the strap is very adjustable - but it isn't a great fit on me and I can't make it better. It's ok for flatwork on a horse I really trust as I don't expect to come off, but I wouldn't jump or ride anything else in it. Might be my head though, and I haven't seen the Sienna.

vonno

www.celticqh.com
I've got a Troxel Sierra and love it. It's lightweight and comfortable and an excellent fit. There is a bit of adjustment with the fitting, so as long as you get your nearest size, should be ok.

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
I had a legacy Gold, until some kind person dropped it on the tack room floor & put it back without a note, but a big crack in it *grrrr*! I loved it for schooling is, likewise to help with sweaty head & after i had whiplash it was lovely & light & didn't make my neck ache. But i found the new models did not fit my head as well as the old & could not get one to fit (i am usuall the old 6 7/8ths measurement). So i replaced with Champion & have been very happy with that.
smile.gif

Faro

Visit site
I've got a Legacy Gold too (two of them in fact). Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine fit perfectly. If either of them got damaged and needed to be replaced I would without hesitation buy the same again. I wear them for absolutely everything except shows and dressage when my posh black velvet cap comes out instead.

m3gan

Visit site
I can't remember what type of troxel mine is but I have been very pleased with it. It is easy to adjust it has a wheel thingy at the back which adjusts the size plus straps that go under your chin. It is so much better when it is hot to have a dry head, not a sweaty one!

legaldancer

Visit site
I had a Pegasus. It was light & well ventilated, but wasn't convinced it was that safe. It was more like a cycling helmet, & I suppose they work if you hit the deck! Don't think they conform to the current PAS safety level, but may be wrong. Pony Club won't recognise them.

Mithras

Visit site
Don't like the look of them at all. Do they cover the area above your ears properly? Also I do think a hat should fit yoru head without being held in place by fabric straps, no matter how customisable.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
We purchased Legacy Gold helmets for our honeymoon in Africa- didnt really like the look of them at first but didnt fancy going without a hat either. They were so comfortable that we still use them in the summer as it stops you getting horrible sweaty hair (especially as i ride before work)

SarahTommy.jpg

tenigra.jpg

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I had a Pegasus. It was light & well ventilated, but wasn't convinced it was that safe. It was more like a cycling helmet, & I suppose they work if you hit the deck! Don't think they conform to the current PAS safety level, but may be wrong. Pony Club won't recognise them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm does mean they are lacking in the safety department?

foo

Visit site
I know of a lady who has had 2 serious accidents whilst riding in a Troxel, 1 was a rather nasty smash to the head, this hat safed her life.

Hawks27

Visit site
Came across this thread whilst looking for a replacement one, I bought the sierra as have a spooky youngster but I ride western and liked the look of the tan sierra helmet I've always thought it looked flimsy and wondered how safe it was, love it for light and airiness never have a sweaty head in this can barely tell its on my head fit is ok but took some getting use to as not as deep as my normal English helmet but never moves and I can confirm it not only takes a good impact my idiot horse stood on me after I fell off and theres barely a dint in ym helmet and my head is fine I dread to think what would of happened without my hat on so very pleased with the sierra and promptly looking for a new one after said splattage

Micropony

Visit site
I didn't think they met any of the safety standards (hat fitter in tack shop said so when fitting me for a hat), but that was about 5 years ago so I could be out of date. Pity, as they looked really well ventilated and I get very hot when schooling, but I wasn't prepared to compromise on safety.

Fiona

Visit site
I have one and hubby has gatehouse version. We both wear for hacking snd riding at home.

I'm sure I checked mine recently and it has safety standards stamped inside.

Will go check. .

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Just nipped out to the tack room. Brrr its cold. Troxel spirit has the bs standard plus sei/astm and hubbys gatehouse cool rider has bs standard plus pas...

Fiona

Carlosmum

Visit site
I had one for riding in Africa, light weight & airy. i don't remember the model. Carried on wearing it at home for hacking out etc. for years. Did look rather like a cycle helmet though, especially when the 'velcroed' peak went missing!