TRT method instead of turning away for young just broken horses - (for those who have done the method)

IcarusGirl

Visit site
Hello, I know there's a few of you who on here have followed the TRT method in training - I've recently bought myself the Training Your Young Horse modules, and aim to work through them. I'm not sure whether you're supposed to watch them all through before doing the training or do one module and put it into practice before watching the next.

My horse is 3.5yr old gelding and has been away for 7 weeks breaking/schooling prior to my buying him a week ago. Before being sent away for training he had never left the stud and was only lightly halter trained there, so he's been through a lot of changes over the past two months, and had his whole world shaken up. The trainer did a very good job with him in terms of his backing, but I feel he is very timid and nervous if I make any sudden movement (due to not having much human interaction before the trai, and would benefit from doing lots of groundwork to build trust before I start to get on him again.

I feel he's still very young in himself and I would like to work through the TRT young horse programme (which starts with basic groundwork exercises and builds up to getting on and riding away). Do you think this would help him to settle and build confidence? I'm concerned that if I don't get on him soon he may "forget" what he learned while being broken, but I also feel that if i were to put any added pressure on him at present he would be stressed by it.

As with all aspects of horse ownership i'm getting all kinds of advice and trying to filter through it and find what suits my boy. I've had horses 30+ years, and gt my last horse as a 3yr old, but that was a long time ago and he was slightly further along in his education when I got him.

Anyway, this has been a bit of a long and rambling way of asking whether a) the young horse module has been successful for anyone else, and b) whether you think it's a suitable alternative to turning away. My aim is to do groundwork and in hand walking/long reining out hacking 2 or 3 times a week (weather permitting) for the rest of the winter and then try to re-back him in the spring when he is 4.

Attachments

• Danny.jpg
    Danny.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 40

TheMule

Visit site
I didn’t follow the specific program but did use the groundwork techniques to start mine off. Mine have been well handled from birth so it was very straightforward for them, mostly just learning the patterns so we rattled through it quite quickly.
I don’t think they forget their education

utter-nutter

Visit site
nothing helpful to add, but intrigued to see how you get on with the TRT method, as thinking about it for my tricky horse....Would you be able to combine the both? not exactly what stage he's at..but maybe couple days a week basic stuff from that he learnt from the breakers, i.e hack up the lane, playing in the school ect ect but using steps/ideas learnt through the TRT method with this and then a couple of days just in hand TRT stuff. Again I'm not exactly sure how the TRT method works, but just a thought

daffy44

Visit site
I didn’t follow the specific program but did use the groundwork techniques to start mine off. Mine have been well handled from birth so it was very straightforward for them, mostly just learning the patterns so we rattled through it quite quickly.
I don’t think they forget their education

The same here, I havent followed the young horse module, but I have done a lot of the groundwork techniques with my young horses, but they have been well handles, so it wasnt too much of a stretch for them, but I did find the groundwork patterns useful. TRT is very much geared towards producing the ridden horse, so I think they are very compatible, I used to do a few groundwork patterns before I got on one of my youngsters as it just helped him concentrate and focus on me, so I think its a great thing to do with youngsters, and you cn mix and match with the ridden work very easily.

Lyle

Visit site
Is he a welsh D?

I can't comment on the TRT method specifically, but I used a groundwork foundation, building up to backing/starting undersaddle 'method' series with my Welsh D. He sounds like your horse, super sweet but spooky/reactive/sensitive. Groundwork is absolutely key, it makes all the difference in teaching them to 'think' through exercises, and learn that 'desensitising' is not a scary thing, but in fact a positive. I've recently backed my horse, and my OH has hopped on and done the ridden work (he has an excellent, relaxed seat and doesn't react at all if they are a little jumpy/scooty). Horse was walk/trot/canter day one in the roundyard and transitioned to walk/trot/canter out in the riding paddock. The whole process has been smooth, because the horse was completely prepared. So based on that, I would definitely have a big groundwork focus, and something like the TRT method which gives set exercises in a sequential order, building on the previous exercises is worth it's weight in gold.

IcarusGirl

Visit site
Yep, he's a D. Glad to hear it worked well for you. I can't help feeling a little nervous around him at present - we're still in the "getting to know you" phase and I just don't know how he's going to react to things at the moment. I'm trying to hide my nerves and be kind but firm, but we've got a lot to learn about each other!

Lyle

Visit site
Yep, he's a D. Glad to hear it worked well for you. I can't help feeling a little nervous around him at present - we're still in the "getting to know you" phase and I just don't know how he's going to react to things at the moment. I'm trying to hide my nerves and be kind but firm, but we've got a lot to learn about each other!

Defenitely use groundwork! From my experience with the D's (I have 12 of them lol) is they require a firm, confident yet very fair hand. They are totally rewarding though!!

IcarusGirl

Visit site
Defenitely use groundwork! From my experience with the D's (I have 12 of them lol) is they require a firm, confident yet very fair hand. They are totally rewarding though!!

I'm feeling a lot more confident around him now. I've had a D for the last 16 years, but he was a very different personality. My last D was wimpish and hysterical, whereas this one is bold and independent, so i'm learning new tactics!