Trusting cheap online pergolide supplier (Cushings treatment)?

lotty2468

New User
Visit site
My pony was recently diagnosed with cushings and the vet recommended Prascend (pergolide licensed for horses) however even online its pretty pricey. However chemistdirect are selling pergolide for 29p a 50mcg tablet - far cheaper than anywhere else I've found, which makes me suspicious. I spoke to a livechat rep who said they did accept veterinary prescriptions.
Has anyone else purchased from them, or any suggestions for other cheap suppliers?
Thanks

sport horse

Visit site
I think you will find that Pergolide is no longer licensed for use in horses only the pricier Prascend. Horses that were prescribed Pergolide prior to the change may still be prescribed that but your vet is not permitted to give you a prescription for Pergolide if treatment of your horse/pony started recently. No prescription no purchase!

Micky

Visit site
vetmedic is the cheapest to buy prascend for your pony at the moment though as said, you will need a prescription from your vet to purchase..mine charges £20 every script!

JillA

Visit site
50mcg is a very small dose - the least I have known prescribed for a horse is 250mcg, most have 1000 (or 1mg) which is the standard Prascend dose, which you can halve. Check the price for 500mcg to 1mg Pergolide, I found it was more expensive now, although it never used to be. And I suspect your vet won't be able to prescribe pergolide for an equine now - unless they were on it before the date of the licence of Prascend they aren't allowed to, according to my vet.

lotty2468

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I assumed 50mcg was half of 1mg! :) I knew I'd need a prescription but assumed it would be the same for pergolide or prascend.
Will have a look at vetmedic and ask my vet for a prescription when he comes out - hopefully he won't charge too much for it, charging just for the prescription seems ludicrous.

JillA

Visit site
160 x 1mg were £136 from Vetmedic last time I looked, but you have to add on anything between £10 and £20 for prescription charge by your vet.