Trying not to get too excited...

Clodagh

Visit site
Gorgeous. With luck they won't be inundated with enquiries, homes that can offer no other pets, adults only and no roads must be few and far between!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Thanks for asking, Eventing Mum. It was a bit of a disappointment really. Turns out Zippy is REALLY bad with new people, to the point that the Dogs Trust woman thought that my having clients come to the house would mean the house wasn't quiet enough for him. (It would also mean problems if we wanted to go out for the day, for example, and needed someone to check on him or walk him.) She thought he'd also have trouble staying downstairs while OH was working upstairs. We had a look at the dogs they have available for adoption - a number of greyhounds and lurchers there if anyone's interested - and I was quite taken by Vernon, also on the Terriers page, but it turned out he has major resource guarding issues (he's been returned to the Dogs Trust at least once after biting someone who'd tried to get something off him) and OH, being Mr Sensible, thought he wouldn't be a good idea for us as we've never had a resource-guarding dog. So we're back to the beginning again. Trying to remind myself that we had to look at several before we found our previous dog...

{97702}

Visit site
**says hopefully** I can recommend a greyhound TOT? They do come in lots of different sizes so they don't have to be huge, they can fit into any lifestyle :) My newbie greyhound has been here 3 days and he is just a darling, he hasn't put a foot wrong :)

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Thanks for asking, Eventing Mum. It was a bit of a disappointment really. Turns out Zippy is REALLY bad with new people, to the point that the Dogs Trust woman thought that my having clients come to the house would mean the house wasn't quiet enough for him. (It would also mean problems if we wanted to go out for the day, for example, and needed someone to check on him or walk him.) She thought he'd also have trouble staying downstairs while OH was working upstairs. We had a look at the dogs they have available for adoption - a number of greyhounds and lurchers there if anyone's interested - and I was quite taken by Vernon, also on the Terriers page, but it turned out he has major resource guarding issues (he's been returned to the Dogs Trust at least once after biting someone who'd tried to get something off him) and OH, being Mr Sensible, thought he wouldn't be a good idea for us as we've never had a resource-guarding dog. So we're back to the beginning again. Trying to remind myself that we had to look at several before we found our previous dog...

That’s a shame😟 why not think about a little Lurcher? Chances are they will have a bit of beddy or other terrier in their breeding.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
That's a shame but at least the Dog's Trust was honest and didn't encourage you to have an unsuitable dog. Good luck in your search for the right one.
They were pretty good like that, being straight about each dog's quirks. Though they did look a bit disappointed when we left without seeing a dog we could rehome.

Chiffy

Visit site
You could try Heathlands, based around Royston, if you are in the Hitchin area. They have a website and are on Facebook. They don’t have kennels, all dogs are in foster.
I had my best ever rescue from them, with me for 15 years.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
You could try Heathlands, based around Royston, if you are in the Hitchin area. They have a website and are on Facebook. They don’t have kennels, all dogs are in foster.
I had my best ever rescue from them, with me for 15 years.
Ooh, thank you. I'm on the edge of Milton Keynes, so Hitchin isn't too far away.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
Phoned another rescue yesterday, not sure whether it's worth going there to see the dog we were interested in as they don't think our garden's secure enough - the brick wall's 4 to 5 feet tall and they want it to be a minimum of 6 feet. None of our dogs has ever escaped over the brick wall...

Chiffy

Visit site
Oh dear, some of these rescues are ridiculous, they make the conditions so specific it’s a wonder any poor dogs get a home.
A while ago I read about a young whippet in rescue, such a sad tale. I bred Whippets in my youth so I investigated further. I needed 6 foot fencing when I have 4 foot stone walling with a 5 foot laurel hedge just inside it. Not good enough despite never having had any of my other dogs escaping!

pippixox

Visit site
It’s a couple of hours from you, but I got my girl from a little rescue in Essex called paws crossed (Colchester area). They are all in foster or at the main ladies house. She is good at matching suitable dogs and they are well assessed in home settings. She is also realistic.

bonny

Visit site
That’s just so unrealistic, who has or wants a six foot wall round their garden. Mine is more like 4 foot and I have a young kelpie who certainly could jump it but he never has even if he’s talking to the neighbours !

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have a 1m stone wall that both dogs could pop for fun. But I don't let them out in the garden unattended for them to do so....my neighbours at the side do have a massive fence and chuck their dog out all day in the garden to bark at nothing. I wonder which of the two of us would be rehomed a dog!

SadKen

Visit site
I have a 1m stone wall that both dogs could pop for fun. But I don't let them out in the garden unattended for them to do so....my neighbours at the side do have a massive fence and chuck their dog out all day in the garden to bark at nothing. I wonder which of the two of us would be rehomed a dog!

We don't have gates on the front of our property and both dogs know they must not pass the boundary. Neither have tried. Although OH is always out with them and being GSDs may help! I guess it wouldn't necessarily work with sighthounds if a furry passed by.

We do not qualify for rehoming dogs as we both work full time, although Dog Cam has proved that ours spend the ENTIRE time asleep.

TheOldTrout

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I agree, I think the rescues insisting on a 6-foot fence is really cutting off their nose to spite their face. Will have a look at those links you posted, catxx, pippixox and broughsuperior :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
after looking at battersea i looked on preloved and was amazed at the number of juvenile and adult dogs are unwanted. such a shame people dont think if their lifestyle would suit a certain breed or if they are prepared for the work... there were huskies and malamutes and german shepherds , but also small dogs , there was a frenchie that had behaviour problems, he had a biting problem but he could be left all day while at work and he wont mess!!!!!!! no wonder he is a stressed little dog, bet he is lucky if he gets a short walk round the block.....does make me cross!!!!!!!! poor little chap

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Reading between the lines he is not dog friendly either, Im a bit disgusted with DT, the dog returned for resource guarding as well. I would have thought being such a huge concern they would have had a dog behaviourist on their staff and any behaviour issues would have been sorted out.

{97702}

Visit site
We do not qualify for rehoming dogs as we both work full time, although Dog Cam has proved that ours spend the ENTIRE time asleep.

I have always worked full time since I left school **coughs** years ago......I got my first rescue in 2002, and including her I've had (**counts on fingers**) nine rescue dogs so far :) There ARE sensible rescue organisations out there :)

some show

Visit site
I have always worked full time since I left school **coughs** years ago......I got my first rescue in 2002, and including her I've had (**counts on fingers**) nine rescue dogs so far :) There ARE sensible rescue organisations out there :)

Most of the greyhound rescues are really sensible about that, which is great for us - I work full time too! I remember looking into whippet rescue years ago and they were very strict, as were poodle rescues.