Trying Tildren this week - anyone else used it with success?

mytwofriends

Visit site
My horse has bone spavin and arthritic changes in his coffin joints. My vet knows him inside out, and has recently administered steroid/HA injections into his hocks and coffin joints which I'm happy to say have worked wonders and he feels great. He's only a happy hacker nowadays, so there's no pressure for him to perform to competition level.

Vet has recommended we try Tildren before the steroids wear off, so we know which treatment gives the best effect and stick with it. If he feels better still after his Tildren we'll know that's the way to go.

I was just curious to find out if anyone else has been down a similar route and which treatment came out on top?

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
horse on the yard had tildren last week. We were told that it takes 60 days before you see the effects of the tildren. The horse also had spasmodic colic following the administration of the drug which is a common side effect although 1 shot of buscopan and he was fine.

Zuzzie

Visit site
A friend's horse was given Tildren. Sorry to say that it did not work at all. Its really very expensive so I hope you are insured. I would definitely do a lot of research on this because I have yet to hear of very much success with this treatment.

peanut

Visit site
The horse also had spasmodic colic following the administration of the drug which is a common side effect although 1 shot of buscopan and he was fine.

My horse had Tildren 3 months ago. The vet gave her an anti-spasmodic injection before giving the Tildren to ward against colic. As a result, she was fine.

Mytwofriends, she's not back in work yet because of other problems so I can't tell you whether it has had a beneficial effect.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's not worked so far with a horse on my yard but she was given it 50 days ago so seeing what she's like in a week's time.

K27

Visit site
One of mine has had Tildren therapy- no side effects whatsoever and it worked very quickly for him- my Vet did not advise me about waiting for it to kick in- my horse had very soft loose, floating paces almost instantly- however after a couple of months it wore off and we opted for hock injections instead- which for my particular horse and the probs he had at the time worked much better.

Apparently, sometimes they need more than one go of the Tildren for it to work.

Luckily my horse was insured for it as v expensive stuff- £700.00 springs to mind.

My other horse has mild spavin and he gets his hocks injected with Cortisone and I would not be tempted to try the Tildren for him as his hocks aren't insured anymore, so the cost is prohibitive and it was a bit hit and miss with my other horse which has put me off a bit- but that was just my experience of it and hopefully you'll be luckier!- lots of luck!

traceyann

Visit site
My horse has had it twice he didnt come sound but he did have irap all five injections and did and no signs of colic either times

applecart14

Visit site
My horse has bone spavin and arthritic changes in his coffin joints. My vet knows him inside out, and has recently administered steroid/HA injections into his hocks and coffin joints which I'm happy to say have worked wonders and he feels great. He's only a happy hacker nowadays, so there's no pressure for him to perform to competition level.

Vet has recommended we try Tildren before the steroids wear off, so we know which treatment gives the best effect and stick with it. If he feels better still after his Tildren we'll know that's the way to go.

I was just curious to find out if anyone else has been down a similar route and which treatment came out on top?

Yes I had it three times in the space of a year for the horse in the photo. He is doing one day events, showjumping 3ft 3", fun shows and elem unaff dressage without a problem. Just bear in mind that horses can look very down following Tildren as was in my horses case. They can also get mild colic and in some instances will wee for England. I felt that three times in one year was a lot to put him through as he was quite poorly after the last tildren infusion but its been worth it. He is rising 14 and had the Tildren when aged 12. It was £400 approx for the infusion.

Rosehip

Visit site
Melly has bone spavin in her tarsametatarsal bilaterally, and suspected (I put a stop to the treatment) that her right hock has changes in the other bones within the hock too. She has been nerve blocked twice, sedated 3 times, x-rayed and had inter capsule injections twice, and had a half hour long drip of tildren for her right hock, when that didnt work and she was still as lame as a duck I decided to jusy bute and turn away. Her left hock then went, and she was a bit of a cripple for a while, but now her left hock is better than the right that had all the work done on it.
I think, although it didnt work for Mels, it could work for others, but you need to research it a bit more than I did! I just assumed that the vet knew what he was talking about when he said it would work!