Trying to figure out what height my 2 yr old will make??

fitzaud2

Visit site
Hi everyone. I have a two year old stallion that I'm trying to figure out what height he will make. Firstly, I'm not very good at it, I've never gotten it right. My 4 yr old cob is 15.3hh, and i really thought he wouldnt make over 14.2hh. This guy is being castrated asap, wish the flies would go away!! (he's behaving like a pig at the moment as we got a pony mare for the kids to ride). He's 15.1hh now... he's mother is 14.2hh and his dad is 16.1hh. All along he was quite small so really thought 15.1hh would be his max, but as he's only 2, i'm sure he has plenty more growing to do!!! I really wish I was better at this guessing game.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would say a good couple of inches really. Mine is 2 now and was 15.3hh when I last measured him (was 15.1 ish when i bought him aged 15mths). We reckon he's going to make about 16.2hh. I bought my previous horse when he was aged 4 though and he grew to about 16hh.

bugbee717

Visit site
Measure from the middle of the knee to the cornet band, that will give you his final hight, to get the idea you can do the same with a older horse, it should be the same. You can get a colt gelded at any time, I have had them done at 5 and months up. It might mean getting them ga, but it is worth it. If the vet tells you he does not have balls it can be done with them ga

bugbee717

Visit site
Get a tape measure, from the middle of the knee down to the coronet band will give you the final height in inches, so 15 inches will be 15 hands, if you check any old horses it will be the same. Hope that helps.

competitiondiva

Visit site
I did the middle of the knee measurement, with my current 2 year old when he was a yearling and it gave me 16.2 as the height at maturity, I also did this with the dam and it came back at 15.2 which was correct for her, though my 2 year old now is already 16.1!!! so maybe I didn't quite get the middle of the knee when I did his measurement!!! I'm going for 16.3 as final height for my boy, though there are a few at my yard that say 17hh?! Only time will tell!!! I had my boy castrated around mid august and honestly didn't rest thinking of flies getting up in the holes and laying eggs etc!! seen enough fly blown things in my life! I even had the vet out to check one day as I was sure I'd seen a fly crawl out one day!! Thankfully it was fine, but for peace of mind I would wait if you can until the flies have gone!! My other boy I had done in december and it was much easier post op.

missyme10

Visit site
I've always been told add 2 hands to the height of a yearling and a hand to the height of a 2 year old.
I'm going to do that knee to coronet band measurement myself, see what it says about my 2 year old x

fitzaud2

Visit site
Thanks, will try that, just as soon as he starts behaving himself again. Never heard of measuring from the knee before. Thanks!!!!!!!! Will let ye know what it says.

Starwind

Visit site
If you get a piece of string and hold one end on the fetlock and measure up the leg to the elbow then hold the elbow point and bring the string up to the whithers then you will see how tall your horse will get. works everytime...try it on some fully grown horses.. i have and its spot on. and i did it on my youngster and he's almost their..

domane

Visit site
If you get a piece of string and hold one end on the fetlock and measure up the leg to the elbow then hold the elbow point and bring the string up to the whithers then you will see how tall your horse will get. works everytime...try it on some fully grown horses.. i have and its spot on. and i did it on my youngster and he's almost their..

^ Yeah, that ^

Dexter

Visit site
A hand on the 2 yr old height seems to be about right. Doesn't mean he'll be that height at 3yr old though, it might take him till 4 or 5 to make his full height.

My 2 yr old is 15hands ish and I reckon 16hands give or take at maturity. Saying that, my 3 yr old was 12.2hh when I bought him at the end of August last year, hes now 14hands, possibly a bit bigger, and hes got at least an inch, probably 2 to go!

Anyone mentioning the string test can shush! the 2 year old string tests at 17hands and thats not allowed! :D His sire is renowned for throwing big stock though...