Trying to find a rider for my gelding..

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I am trying to find someone to loan, share my gelding. Not sure exactly what you'd call it. Its a difficult decision but I would have so much more time for my other horse instead of riding both 4 times a week, they could almost treat him as their own but i'd like to be able to pop on him if wanted.

Basically looking for to come ride him (maybe 3 times a week, up to them) and if they wanted to help with some stable duties but not essential during summer.

I need to concentrate bringing my other horse back into work and want someone who ideally wants a happy hack, and is a calm understanding rider. Pony is bombproof in traffic, I'd probably say the best pony you could find to hack.. forward going fun ride yet safe with good breaks, hes so enjoyable and experienced chap who knows his job. Either riding across the farms private fields or hacking out, not someone who wants to jump massive or go mad.. as he isn't able to do a lot of that due to neck arthritis and have written that in the ad. I'll wait until I find the ideal person but its a lovely opportunity for someone.

Can I ask for a contribution? What kind of contribution is reasonable?

Hes fully shod and on expensive supplements so it would help towards that and the livery costs.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
My sharer pays 100 a month for 2 days a week for a near perfect horse, he’s very bright and can scare the crap out of a new rider who doesn’t believe he won’t actually act on his emotions, but he’s a superb pony and she is welcome to have lessons etc. 18 months ago I was paying someone to ride him as he was a nappy, explosive little thing.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, when I had a part share/loan I paid £25 per week for riding 2-3 times. It basically covered cost of (standard) shoes and a bit towards feed. It didn't cover livery costs, but then the owner still rode 2-3 times and was happy with those costs. I sometimes did stable chores when I rode, but if I didn't have time or they had already been done, then I didn't!

MuddyTB

Visit site
Same as previous posters, I paid £100 a month for 2 days a week on a nice all rounder. Could have lessons, school or hack on my 2 days and he was on part livery so I didn't have to do chores.

Jess+Murphy

Visit site
You can definitely ask for a financial contribution from someone to ride your horse! I part loan a horse and pay £10 per week for three days. I think my contribution is equivalent to either the cost of his shoes or the cost of his DIY livery. Perhaps assigning one or two expenses you would like to be covered could be reasonable and base the weekly/monthly contribution on that?

Nativelover

Visit site
I would happily pay to share your horse, when I had mine I shared him with a friend whilst I was going through ivf, she paid £20 a week for a minimum of 3 days. I didn’t ask for a contribution to anything else.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My sharer pays 100 a month for 2 days a week for a near perfect horse, he’s very bright and can scare the crap out of a new rider who doesn’t believe he won’t actually act on his emotions, but he’s a superb pony and she is welcome to have lessons etc. 18 months ago I was paying someone to ride him as he was a nappy, explosive little thing.

He can do everything on the yard someone wants to do with him, as long as they aren't putting up 3' jumps but have already mentioned that. I don't want the sharer transporting him off the yard as he can be very difficult to box and travel. I'd also like to be able to pop on when I fancy and ride, possibly take him myself to a funride at the end of this month. Is that fair? I've never had someone 'pay' to ride one of mine so its all new, apologies.

Is £100 a month for 2 days to expensive? Considering he isn't the best on the flat, I'd almost prefer they didn't take him in the school as its taken me a long time to get him as he is, but not to fussed. What does your sharer do those 2 days @Michen? I was thinking £20 a week for 2 days? On those days they can do as they wish. Almost not bothered about stable duties in summer but in winter mucking out would help on those days. I don't want to rip someone off, although his DIY livery costs £150 a month, £74 for shoes every 7 weeks plus his supplements (vitamin A and Boswellia) which is about £40 a month alone, so £80 a month is just something towards it.

I've had about 6 people contact me, but lady coming to see him on the weekend seems nice, is local, is a lawyer (Was a BHS instructor but hasn't ridden for years now) and can only really ride during the week and during the day when children are at school, so was thinking of leaving the tack out when shes going to ride.

ls0311

Visit site
I used to pay £10 a day (up to 3 days a week) and half of shoes.

If you try to have set days that they come up and ride, or agree days for the next week weekly, then there should be no issues with you riding him too as it wouldn't be on a day they're paying for.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I think it's when the owner has more set rules about what the rider can and can't do with the horse the askiñg for money gets more tricky

You don't want him schooled, you don't want him going off the yard, you don't want him jumping 3ft or whatever....if you just want him hacked then you're going to narrow your appeal

Orchard14

Visit site
I agree Frumpoon sorry OP. It costs the same amount to loan a horse you can do anything you like with as one with loads of restrictions on it. Especially one with a permanent issue referring to the neck arthritis the future rideabilty of the horse is questionable and potentially disruptive which is not overly appealing. But of course you are entitled to ask for payments and then it’s the loaner or sharers decision whether they want to go ahead or not. If both parties are benefiting from the arrangement (you get your horse exercised and get more time with your other horse, they get to ride and have fun) then I would personally leave money out of it but that’s just me. Hope I’m wrong and you find someone and it works out well for all parties

stormox

Visit site
I really cant see why you wouldnt want him schooled? Especially as he isnt the greatest at it. And what height would you allow him to jump? 3ft isnt really that big if it was only occasionally. I wouldnt pay £80 a month just to hack, I would want more variety for that amount.

Shay

Visit site
I used to charge £25 per day for a top class PC schoolmaster who was as guaranteed as you could get in horses to take his rider to PC nat champs. In the 12 years he was available for competition on this basis he got there 8 times. (and took my daughter there 4 times before that) For that they got rides on their day (some years he has two sharers 2 days each) and transport to competitions, support to get there etc. If they had more than 2 days that week - which was common with away shows - they either paid me or reimbursed the other ride who would have booked. When he was turned away - which happened at least twice a year - they had to pay but not ride. We never lacked a sharer at that price. Even now, well retired from competition, he is still in demand for confidence giving stuff, PC rallies, camp etc.

But that is quite a different offer. I was (and still am) very directive about what he can do, who can ride, who can teach etc. But what they got in exchange was an opportunity many kids don't. We always had a waiting list, including kids with their own pony as well.Folk on H&H used to flame me when I said what we charged. But over the years I never lacked a rider and people paid so I guess I was more or less right. But we really went above and beyond for our sharers to give the kids the best possible competiiton opportunities.

What you are offering is different. Absolutely ask for a contribution. If folk don't pay for something they tend not to take it seriously. But you are asking quite a lot for a lot of restrictions. His costs are high - about what ours are - but you are only offering a restricted cost sharing. If you offered full loan - do what you want for that price, fair enough. But if you want to exercise some control you either need to compensate in some way with extra provision or reduce the price.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I really cant see why you wouldnt want him schooled? Especially as he isnt the greatest at it. And what height would you allow him to jump? 3ft isnt really that big if it was only occasionally. I wouldnt pay £80 a month just to hack, I would want more variety for that amount.

Because he has arthritis in his neck and hocks at only 10, he struggles with jumping as of his neck but will do it as he’s honest, he doesn’t say no to anything but hurts afterwards. I school him once a week but I know his limits and how to ‘ride’ him so he doesn’t over do it but works through his back.. long and low, barely any cantering in circles. I don’t want a random person getting on him and hammering him. If he didn’t have any issues I’d happily let sharer ride as and when they want!

A few people have said they’d happily pay for a hack, as one lady hates jumping and schooling

FNC

Visit site
I had a sharer for my mare for many years. Mare was on full livery so no stable duties, sharer paid £40 pw for 3 days plus competing if she wanted to, once a month or so although this was flexible