Trying to sell my filly and low price is attracting the wrong people!!

petite-girle

Visit site
I've advertised my little NF yearling filly for very little money as I know in this market I won't get any more! However, the low price is just attracting all the wrong people!

The first person did sound promising, until she arranged with me 3 times to come and view her and all 3 times she never turned up!

Then someone else rang up. Sounded like a 13 year old girl and her friend in the background. Spoke very common. Said they had looked after horses in the past and wanted their own now. Said they would ride her and that. She's a yearling?! Jesus. And what's the lowest price I would take. Any cheaper and she'd be free!!

Then someone else phoned up. Said she's an animal lover and has fish and hamsters and now fancies a horse. Knows absoloutely nothing about them clearly. Said she would keep her in a stable and make sure she sees her every weekend. Every weekend?!?! I said have you handled a youngster before? No but my friend has got horses and I've seen hers before.

Do I put the price up to deter the wrong people? But then on the other hand, those who do know something about horses will know she's not worth much more at the moment! :confused: This is a nightmare. I just want a good, loving and KNOWLEDGEABLE home for her!! :(

Lady La La

Visit site
A friend had this problem, she advertised her horse realistically and had muppets call her all day long.

She found adding something along the lines of 'Advertised at a realistic price which reflects the market at this current time, please don't be put off' seemed to help keep the attention of those people who may have overlooked her mare

The_snoopster

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel, I recently decided to find my 4yr old NF a new home, decided to put a cheapish price on him due to the current market down turn. I had total idiots ringing and one promising call, which turned out to be a no show. I am not selling because I cannot afford to keep him or he is too much for me, it,s just time for him to be more than a companion which is all he as really been since being with me.
To cut a long story short it as become clear to me he will proberly stay here for ever and I have had him lightly backed and will send him away to be fully broken next year. Hes shocked me by growing a full hand bigger than the 13.1hh I was told he would make, so he is big enough for me to ride since he is measuring 14.1hh. However if an experienced home comes along I would let him go, have you tried putting in your add that only homes with experience with youngsters need apply ?

Ilovefoals

Visit site
My friend had someone call about her welsh A yearling the other day to ask if he'd be suitable for her 13 yr old daughter to ride. The mind boggles!

rcm_73

Visit site
Tell me about it, I recently dropped the price of a 10 y.o. PC pony and had some right hassle, the woman who bought him turns out to be a right load of trouble and am getting nothing but hassle (see my recent post on here). I am gutted that he has ended up with someone who quite obviously doesn't seem to want him but doesn't want to send him back either (minus my costs for days of work, transport etc). It's been a nitemare, she paid a lot less than she should have and has done nothing but complain about him since :( I think you're right, dropping the price DOES attract the wrong sort of irresponsible person that would not normally be able to buy a horse!

petite-girle

Visit site
Tell me about it, I recently dropped the price of a 10 y.o. PC pony and had some right hassle, the woman who bought him turns out to be a right load of trouble and am getting nothing but hassle (see my recent post on here). I am gutted that he has ended up with someone who quite obviously doesn't seem to want him but doesn't want to send him back either (minus my costs for days of work, transport etc). It's been a nitemare, she paid a lot less than she should have and has done nothing but complain about him since :( I think you're right, dropping the price DOES attract the wrong sort of irresponsible person that would not normally be able to buy a horse!

Oh I read your post, that sounds awful!! Sorry to hear about that.

It's so frustrating, I just want to do what's best for my filly, find her the best home. I always thought she'd be with me for life, if only that was possible and then none of this! It's a hard enough thinking about letting her go, let alone to clueless hopeless people!

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I think whenever you sell a horse you can get numpties i sold a warmblood recently who was a lovely boy and had questions ranging from would he carry over 20 stone, will he be ok for my 7 year old, i am have no confidence will he do a real nervous rider it stated in my ad he wasnt for a novice.

I had the usual no shows somebody saying they wanted him and had booked the vet never happened i was glad as didnt like them, he did however go to a lovely lady who is very happy with him and before her i turned down two people who wanted him as i didnt think they were right.
Dont be afraid to hang on for the right person and its like selling anything you get dreamers and timewasters just try not to get stressed and if you really dont like the sound of someone or think they have enough experience dont even bother entertaining them why waste your time.

Usually all of a sudden the right person will just come along or they always have for me, take it all with a pinch of salt and GOOD LUCK.:)

MrsElle

Visit site
I have been having similar problems.

I have priced my Fell realistically, given his age (3) and his inexperience.

I have had several emails, all from people wanting to know if he is ok in heavy traffic (ad states he hasn't been backed yet), if he eats much (like a horse?), if he will grow into a horse one day (!!!) and the list goes on and on.

Due to lack of work and rising bills I can't keep him, but I despair at the sort of people who are contacting me about him. I am seriously considering asking a friend if I can just give him to her as I know she will bring him on, care for him and find him a good home next summer.

Alexart

Visit site
I once had the white tracksuit family turn up to look at a pony youngster I had for sale - they wanted it for their 8yr old son to play football with!!!! - the child was terrified of horses!!! - sigh!!!
You get all sorts of idiots!!!!!!!:D The right one will turn up eventually!!

missyme10

Visit site
Its really not easy this time of year, especially selling youngsters.
Its hard enough when you really dont want to part with them but have to, then to get the numpties ringing up!

Its all very well people saying well hold on to her until the right home comes along, but if your job is coming to an end soon, I can see its really not that simple.

I am trying to sell a youngster myself at moment, heart doesn't want to but head knows I should, so I know its not easy.
Thankfully if I dont sell I can continue to afford although its a struggle, so my circumstances aren't quite as bad.

I dont know what to suggest, life's a bloomin b*tch heh?
Is it Lilly by the way? If not, sorry, I've totally got my wires crossed with someone else lol x

honetpot

Visit site
I have a lovely youngster to make 14.3- 15 hands and I know when he's 4 and broke he is the sort everyone will want. I would like to find him a new home because we show, and he's not a particular type or breed. I have not advertised him as I know at the moment he's not worth much and the price would attract the wrong people, so I just tell as many I know to put the word out.
Come the spring I will try advertising but now its just word of mouth.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
When I briefly put my mare for sale I got all sorts of strange calls and e-mails. Yes she was at a low price but she is only a companion- I hadn't done anything with her. A woman rang me up and sounded as though she was ringing during the jeremy Kyle break, needless to say I said a few things to put her off and she didn't ring back (think she was only ringing for giggles anyway.) I then got an e-mail from a 13yo asking me was she big enough to ride- with her friend!? (she's 12hh!)

trottingon

Visit site
Would it be worth re-considering the places you are advertising her? Have you already considered the "companion" route for a while just in case your circumstances change and you can have her back sometime in the future?

Last edited:

SpruceRI

Visit site
Try being a bit more descriptive in your Ad about the sort of person you'd sell your youngster to.

Like: "Will only consider selling this pony to a knowledgeable adult who has had prior experience of handling youngsters"... something like that.

You'll still get odd people ringing you, but you can normally tell when speaking to them if they have much clue and can deter them from arranging a visit if they sound like they haven't. Certainly ask them as many questions about their expectations [of the pony] as they will ask you!

Good luck...

Cathey

Visit site
There are genuine people out there, this time next year im going to be looking for a cheap youngster that i can back and bring on due to limited finances from finishing uni, in fact, im already window shopping :) but i must admit, even im a little sceptical if the price is too low, try adding 'price is no reflection of quality, purly due to unforeseen circumstances' or words to that effect, might instill some confidence in the more knowledgeable people out there.

Good luck!

gnubee

Visit site
Definitely put in the advert that she needs to go to people with experience with youngsters and will not be a suitable first pony.

I would also look at where you're advertising. If you have her on the free ad sites, I think that can help encourage the wrong people who are just browsing ads in general, have £500 in the bank and see they could get a horse with it. If you go for the more horsey sites (H&H, project horse etc.) you are more likely to get people who are specifically looking for a certain type of horse, and have at least some idea of what they need. Course the downside of that is that it costs more, so I guess you have to decide if reducing the amount of wading through numptys you have to do is worth the extra cost.

You can also interview them on the phone when they ring to ask about the horse, and dont even waste time showing it to them if its clear they wont be suitable.

I would avoid the temptation to put the price up, as in theory at least that should eliminate all the sensible buyers who know what the horse should be worth, leaving you only receiving calls from people who dont have a clue.