Tucking in his head

PaddyCampbell15

Visit site
Need some advice if anyone can help please.
I have a warmblood x ISH 8 years old, he is nice forward going horse. While in the school show jumping he can be rode in a standard loose ring snaffle and carry’s himself absolutely perfect. The problem is when out hacking/cantering or going x country he drops his head down and tucks in his head and grabs hold of the bit and gets overly strong. He has a fleshy tounge and I’m wondering if it’s a biting problem?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Please don't kill me :) but with my IDx who can get strong out on a hack I use a waterford pelham... It helps prevent any leaning or rushing on with just the tiniest of tweaks. All other times he is in a HP lip relief snaffle from horsemanship saddlery.

sam72431

Visit site
My friends horse did this (ex racer) and she borrowed my neau schule Waterford it's a type of gag but not three ring more hanging cheek with an extra ring. She was able to stop him hanging and able to check him. She's since bought her own with good success.

sportsmansB

Visit site
My eventing mare did this
I used a cheltenham gag on rope cheeks and it fixed it altogether. She actually got so much better that I didn't need it any more.
She hated most bits so I just got the gag with the same NS double jointed mouthpiece that was in her flatwork bit.