Tuffy Tilly Clinic report!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Been an age since I did a report but as I have come away with a few musings I thought I'd share!

Background: Skylla is 8 now and only started really jumping last year after my first ever Tuffy clinic. She did 70cm's last year but failed to actually do a whole ODE as the one we entered had the XC cancelled doh! However, did lots of hunter trials and SJ last year at 70, stepped up to 80 this year, did a couple of ODE (on a surface) at Bold, did the arena eventing at Kelsall and she was flying :cool:. Lockdown happened :(, new eventer moved on the the yard and started giving us lessons and we got ourselves sorted to try and step up the BE once restrictions had eased! Did the arena eventing (on grass now) at Kelsall, had a big miss at Eland, did a ton of schooling, felt fabby again and then did Frickley, overwhelmed in the XC went super green had 5 stops, did some more schooling, went to Skipton, fell off at the first like a numpty!

I think I can safely say I've managed to knock my own confidence about whether I'm capable or not! Skylla I have to say, gives very little cares about how I feel ?, an example is Skipton SJ, I had zero breaks was pooping my pants and Skylla told me to shh and she's got it and jumped round super for a lovely clear with not much involvement from me ?.

Anyway on to the clinic!

Day 1, gridwork and polework day.
Ended up being only two of us in our group, so a bit more focus on us :oops:. Tuffy's comments where stop holding her, use your legs, stop firing yourself out of the saddle and for gods sake put your hands down and forward! She thought she was overbitted in the ID pelham type and recommended a bubble bit for day two. Skylla was fab, didn't touch a pole, was a little overexcited and needed telling to trot the trot poles, but was reluctant to go for a longer stride (three bounces to a one stride double, she wanted to pop two in and it was tricky to get her to go on one) as I'm restricting her too much hence the suggestion to change bits.

Day 2, SJ course.
Combined groups, so ended up being with the the less experienced horses, which was sort of nice as we got used as a lead a lot and it does give you some confidence back when you know you're sitting on the straightforward horse! Skylla was super, though not a massive fan of the new bit or the rain ?! I got told to stop trying to be perfect, stop protecting Skylla and let her sort herself out, let her run a bit as long as I sit up and get her controlled in plenty of time for the fence Skylla has to know she is allowed to go forwards. Fences all got put up for me at the end which was half terrifying (I said last time my version of a small fence is not Tuffy's version ?) and half a nice boost that she thinks we're capable of some sightly bigger fences.

Skylla making her thoughts on the rain very clear!
118310675_1390054271180429_208209229537384633_n.jpg

Boing!
118361952_1390052804513909_7418426968172963691_n.jpg

Short clips of getting our lines for tricky combinations and getting her forward through the triple.

Day 3, XC day!
Started off not great as the group before us overran and the heavens opened so we got absolutely drenched and cold before we started! Skylla is a bit of princess about being wet ?, so we started a bit aggy and I think because I was cold and wanting to do well I was a bit tense and stiff... Jumped everything asked and was used as a lead horse again :cool:, Tuffy commented that hard fences I ride well and single fences we are mostly likely to miss at oops :oops:.

So Tuffy agree's there is a bit of work to be done, mainly on my control and fluidity over a fence. She wants to try some more bits to find the best one, as Skylla sits behind the contact until she gets rude, and then I do need just a bit of 'extra', but overbitting means I'm a bit too much in control in Tuffys words ?, which would be fine if I could ride her braver for a forward stride! She also wants to try shoeing her and using studs, just to give us both that extra confidence on grass.

All of which means I've withdrawn from Llanymynech, I feel too much pressure to go and not get eliminated XC when there are a few things we want to tweak to get me riding better! I'm feeling positive overall, love having a plan ?, and know we'll get there I just need to take the pressure off first and remember it's suppose to be fun ;).

Cookie dough munchies for anyone who gets all the way to the end of this mammoth report!

Roxylola

Visit site
Sounds positive. And like you have a plan going forward now, regrouping can help loads.
Have you considered/tried a universal? Helps me just enough when supercob goes rogue and a bit cobknob on me but most of the time I can stay quiet and light in it. You could even try that or the bubble on roundings/two reins

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
great write up and loving the vids!

Thank you :), lovely friend braved the rain for me to get the videos!

Very good write up and lovely videos. Seriously wet cross country.

It was hideous, questioned all my life decisions whilst getting pissed wet through and chuffing freezing waiting to start ?!

Sounds positive. And like you have a plan going forward now, regrouping can help loads.
Have you considered/tried a universal? Helps me just enough when supercob goes rogue and a bit cobknob on me but most of the time I can stay quiet and light in it. You could even try that or the bubble on roundings/two reins

So the bubble bit I got is the copy of the NS universal, I think it might be the mouthpiece she wasn't a fan of so might try a bubble (two ring) happymouth or nathe? I was thinking two reins might help as I could ride mostly off the snaffle rein and just have the extra one for those odd moments, though I'm going to try and go back to the snaffle and see if schooling the adjustability in the canter helps with the control issues.

Roxylola

Visit site
Bubble bit is really a gag action which I'm using to bring the head up, she looks like that's not an issue for her so much so hopefully you can find something you both like.
I spent a bit of time jumping on the snaffle ring of my universal which was great when we were going well but the wheels fell off when he discovered he can drag me about with it there. We've gone back to bottom ring for now ?
Btw, what day were you at somerford? Just wondering if we saw you - there on Saturday

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Bubble bit is really a gag action which I'm using to bring the head up, she looks like that's not an issue for her so much so hopefully you can find something you both like.
I spent a bit of time jumping on the snaffle ring of my universal which was great when we were going well but the wheels fell off when he discovered he can drag me about with it there. We've gone back to bottom ring for now ?
Btw, what day were you at somerford? Just wondering if we saw you - there on Saturday

Bubble bit/ universal/ dutch gag/ continental gag bits I find tend to apply more poll pressure so lowers the head, true gag bits like the cheltenham gag raise the head. It's just a minefield of what is 'suppose' to work vs what the horse actually likes lol!

She was great in the snaffle until she got a bit cocky ? but she still a bit green really so does need to listen!

Ah I was there on the Sunday.

Roxylola

Visit site
Yeah I'd always thought that about them but then was told different and went meh, what do I know. I'm still not 100% but I like the universal for us for now. What about a bomber snaffle - they do a lozenge one that's strong but not too strong.

As you've withdrawn from llany, what about kelsall in September with me. We can have a private competition for who can accumulate the most faults and still complete ?

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Great to read your report and glad you've got good support and a plan. Never bad to take time to make sure you've got things right before moving forwards again. Takes the pressure off for the time being which think will benefit both of you. She looks much more fluent and rhythmical (as she did at Mostyn too so give yourself some credit for this :cool:).

If you can find an unaff XC or ODE to try things out before next BE, it's a great help and allows you to school /check /test things out in between events. Have done this with both mine already in the past month (Nix for the SJ rideability and R for ODE moving back to 100). Must admit I'm a little ambivalent about the value of arena eventing for XC - think the skills required often have more in common with SJ. So if you can find some way to do an unaff XC (even if a shorter one or 70 /75 rather than 80cm as the height does not look to be an issue) before your next BE to nail the Start Box to first fence then keeping the rhythm, fluidity and forwardness around the course, am sure would help.

Have swapped both mine recently to Bomber eggbutt ported barrel and using for all 3 phases on both. Sent Claire (from Bomber) videos of both as well as desciptions of how both went in each phase and she came back with that recommendation (I'd already had a discussion with Bit Bank and they had suggested Bomber as a possible). Have sent her follow-up videos since and she has provided further feedback. We're happy with both in all 3 phases for the time being and is working better than previous bits (both had different symptoms but all indicated that tongue pressure might be an issue). I want control when I need it but don't want either to feel shutdown as want them to take me to fences and take the contact forward in dressage (and both are sensitive(!)). Know you've done work previously on bitting with Skylla, don't know if that included Bomber but Claire could be another source of ideas.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Yeah I'd always thought that about them but then was told different and went meh, what do I know. I'm still not 100% but I like the universal for us for now. What about a bomber snaffle - they do a lozenge one that's strong but not too strong.

As you've withdrawn from llany, what about kelsall in September with me. We can have a private competition for who can accumulate the most faults and still complete ?

Bomber might be a good call!

Already entered Kelsall and Stafford, so those are the next goals! I think I might still win that competition :p.

Great write up and sounds like you got loads out of it. x

I really do get so much out of the clinics, not only Tuffys instruction for me but watching and learning from the other combinations too!

Great to read your report and glad you've got good support and a plan. Never bad to take time to make sure you've got things right before moving forwards again. Takes the pressure off for the time being which think will benefit both of you. She looks much more fluent and rhythmical (as she did at Mostyn too so give yourself some credit for this :cool:).

If you can find an unaff XC or ODE to try things out before next BE, it's a great help and allows you to school /check /test things out in between events. Have done this with both mine already in the past month (Nix for the SJ rideability and R for ODE moving back to 100). Must admit I'm a little ambivalent about the value of arena eventing for XC - think the skills required often have more in common with SJ. So if you can find some way to do an unaff XC (even if a shorter one or 70 /75 rather than 80cm as the height does not look to be an issue) before your next BE to nail the Start Box to first fence then keeping the rhythm, fluidity and forwardness around the course, am sure would help.

Have swapped both mine recently to Bomber eggbutt ported barrel and using for all 3 phases on both. Sent Claire (from Bomber) videos of both as well as desciptions of how both went in each phase and she came back with that recommendation (I'd already had a discussion with Bit Bank and they had suggested Bomber as a possible). Have sent her follow-up videos since and she has provided further feedback. We're happy with both in all 3 phases for the time being and is working better than previous bits (both had different symptoms but all indicated that tongue pressure might be an issue). I want control when I need it but don't want either to feel shutdown as want them to take me to fences and take the contact forward in dressage (and both are sensitive(!)). Know you've done work previously on bitting with Skylla, don't know if that included Bomber but Claire could be another source of ideas.

Yeah we just need a bit of time to get our (mine) confidence back before dipping our toes back into BE. I've entered the express eventing at Mostyn which is a little more like eventing XC than arena eventing as they count you down and set you off on course, so hoping we can have a nice run round!

Oo another suggestion for a bomber, will go have a nosy and that sounds exactly what I'm needing, bit more control but not restricting her!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Enjoyed reading this :) You both look super and looks like you got plenty from the clinic xx

Thank you, love the clinics I learn so much and three days on the trot (although knackering) really cements the lessons in my head!

Those fences look bloody enormous to me, but she's popping them like they're nothing!

Haha the XC ones weren't too big mostly (though the hanging hedge trakehner and racing fence I was a bit o_O at) and I need to start finding 80's small and easy really so BE80t feels less terrifying lol.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Tuffy Tilly! Name I haven't heard for a while.

Re bits - I remember overhearing a conversation where a rider was asking a group of friends about her (lack of) control cross country.
One of the group said that she'd had a bit of a runaway so she stuck in a severe bit that meant she was in control but it ruined the horse as he wanted to think that he was in charge and taking her into the fence. I know that these days of fences on a turn, arrowheads, etc mean that the rider needs control, but don't overdo it.