Tumeric for stiff pony

ChelseaFilly

Visit site
Hi all,

I've just bought a pony that I've loaned for years. He's amazing in all ways but being an ex showjumping pony, he is stiff.

While I had him on loan (from horrible people), I couldn't really mess around with his feed too much. Now he's home, however, I'm determined to make him better :)

I had him looked at by the vet who said that the pony is fine, but is in need of a good supplement such as CortaFlex to help him.

I've been told by a couple of friends to try Tumeric with Coconut Oil and Ground Black Pepper in his feed as apparently it's AMAZING. I'm really eager to try this before paying out for CortaFlex. I prefer the money saving (obviously) but also really like the idea of using more natural ingredients and being 100% aware of what my pony is eating.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work? How much of each thing do I give him? He's a 14.2 Irish pony that's quite fat at the moment (we're working on that too!)

Thank you :)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If you're on FB then look at the Turmeric Users Page where it has guides to quantities.

Be warned though that they can be quite evangelical about it. Like most things, it can suit one but not another so it is trial and error. I have tried it for sweet itch which it is meant to help and it doesn't seem to have helped in spite of their protests. I found the best place for supplies is Pro-Earth on ebay. If anyone wants a spare bag of Turmeric, I have one here for sale.

Have you tried magnetic boots, they are meant to help a lot too?

Havannah

Visit site
It's the active ingredient 'curcumin' in the turmeric that does the trick and you can buy cur cumin extract. The efficacy of turmeric really does depend on the quality...as Maesfen said, take a look at the Turmeric Users Group on FB, there is more information than you will probably ever need and some good case studies re reported effects on horses and ponies for all manner of conditions. I used turmeric on my arthritic golden retriever and it worked really well for her, but again as Maesfen says it doesn't necessarily work for every animal. Good luck

Micky

Visit site
Or have a look for natural herbs for horses..there is a website natural horse supplies, who are very helpful on the phone, there quite a few things that may help..I personally would rather try them than turmeric as some herbs/hedgerow plants are proven to work...good luck, how rewarding :)

lizzi2

Visit site
Hi
I use turmeric for my mare who has arthritis.

I mix it with coconut milk, black pepper and Aloe Vera gel. (buy all 3 separately, so i can adjust as needed - if weather's good and she's not too bad she has less of the turmeric and more of the aloe, etc).

Overall, i'd say it has helped. but i also use massage, and homeopathy to help, so can't say one works more so than the other! :)

ChelseaFilly

Visit site
Thank you everyone, quite a few things to look in to!

Lizzi2, oooh I never thought of Aloe Gel! Do you just get any Aloe Vera Gel? I use a 'Forever Living' one for myself - would this work? how much do you put in the feed? Sorry for the million questions!

Thanks again :)

kzb

Visit site
I bought some turmeric treats - ready made - at an event a few weeks back. I feel it has helped my horse a lot, she's looking really well. My mums pony is 18 and gets quite stiff and she's certainly moving very well. They haven't been on it very long yet, but we are planning to keep using it.

Ours are made with coconut oil and ground black pepper and have flavouring in there to. Mine has to have it ground up into her feed but my mums will take your hand off! Even better, they were only £5 for a months supply.

impresario08

Visit site
I bought some turmeric treats - ready made - at an event a few weeks back. I feel it has helped my horse a lot, she's looking really well. My mums pony is 18 and gets quite stiff and she's certainly moving very well. They haven't been on it very long yet, but we are planning to keep using it.

Ours are made with coconut oil and ground black pepper and have flavouring in there to. Mine has to have it ground up into her feed but my mums will take your hand off! Even better, they were only £5 for a months supply.

what make were they?

kzb

Visit site
thanks :) how many do you feed a day? I have a 17hh monster haha

Both of mine just have one a day, one is 14.2 and the other is 15.3. I think you are supposed to start out on just one and then if you don't see an improvement then you can increase it after a week. The body weight/size shouldn't play too much part it depends how the ingredients effect each individual. :)

impresario08

Visit site
Both of mine just have one a day, one is 14.2 and the other is 15.3. I think you are supposed to start out on just one and then if you don't see an improvement then you can increase it after a week. The body weight/size shouldn't play too much part it depends how the ingredients effect each individual. :)

thankyou!

ChelseaFilly

Visit site
Hi
I use turmeric for my mare who has arthritis.

I mix it with coconut milk, black pepper and Aloe Vera gel. (buy all 3 separately, so i can adjust as needed - if weather's good and she's not too bad she has less of the turmeric and more of the aloe, etc).

Overall, i'd say it has helped. but i also use massage, and homeopathy to help, so can't say one works more so than the other! :)

Thank you! I've never thought of the Aloe Vera, what a good idea?
Please can you tell me how much you feed of it? and is any Aloe gel ok? I use a 'forever living' brand Aloe gel for myself, will that work?
Thanks again!