Tumor advice needed please .....

mytwofriends

Visit site
I have an elderly male Lab (he's 13). He's always happy, has a typical Labrador appetite and isn't overweight. He does have a stiff back end but is happy pottering around at his own pace.

My issue, however, is that he has a few fatty lumps which I am led to believe are commonplace. One, on his flank, is pink and raised and our young Lab has taken to licking it. It's unsightly, but appears to be causing our old boy no pain - i.e. he completely ignores it, doesn't care which side he lies, doesn't limp on that leg in particular, and doesn't try to lick it himself.

Should I be taking him to the vet? In a younger dog, of course I would, and obviously he'd be straight there today if he showed discomfort, but he's 13 and I wouldn't put him through surgery. Again, he is showing absolutely no signs of pain or distress. I guess I am worried what the vet will say (but I reiterate apart from the fact you can see it, he doesn't give a fig).

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Sorry for the long post. I am not usually an indecisive sort, with multiple animals (cats, dogs, horses and reptiles), and a family too, but this one is bothering me!

Magnums for all who get this far :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I would definitely stop the young dog licking it, as they can and do burst which can be quite unpleasant. No harm once in popping him to the vet, but as he ages, I would prepare myself for the chance that more could develop and they could get larger.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Thank you. I will attempt to cover it, although I'm not sure how successful that will be! Will take the chicken's way out and send my husband to the vet with him I think.

quirky

Visit site
I am in the same position with our GSP who is 12.
She has a tumour on her shoulder. We have chosen not to take her to the vet as she is fine in herself. She still walks okay and is happy to run and play about.
Should she start to exhibit pain, she will be taken to the vet.
When it first appeared as an egg type lump, I mentioned it to the vet on a routine visit. They wanted to take a needle biopsy. Again, I declined this as a. We wouldn't have operated anyway and b. I have been led to believe disturbing a mass can cause it to spread.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Interesting to hear Quirky. I fully expect my vet to suggest a biopsy too, but, like you, I definitely wouldn't want to put my old fellow through surgery. For now he's happy which is the main thing. If he lost his appetite then I know something would be seriously wrong - he has never turned down food (anything) in his 13 1/2 years!