Turmeric.. who uses it and where can I buy it from? maidstone

Izzy&Ella

Visit site
As above.. I've read a lot of good reviews on Turmeric given to horses to help stiffness, itchyness, general health etc..

Who on here uses it? Have you had good results?

And where can I get some from? I don't have ebay or paypal lol

Cloudyhead1

New User
Visit site
In the herbs and spices aisle. I do hope I haven't misunderstood! it is sold in little jars but I have bought it in large bags on occasion when I have seen it in the 'world foods' section. It is really common.

JoG

Visit site

claribella

Visit site
If you've got a big Tesco near you then they do 400g of turmeric in the weird aisle that contains things like free from' and lucky charms and huge big bags of rice etc. Its £1.99. I brought a couple of bags just because I wasn't sure if my fuss pot would eat it. As it happens she is so Ive been recommended the Asian supermarket online. They do 5kg for a bout a tenner.

Turmeric on its own is not easily absorbed so its good to add some freshly ground pepper and either olive, coconut or linseed oil as this helps with the absorbtion process.

Ive been giving it for about six weeks to my mare. Initially it was for her joints and I noticed a difference within a few days. Three weeks after she had been on it her sarcoid ddisappeared. Shes much happier, more spritely and looks really healthy. Her coat has got redder and softer and her runny eye has totally cleared up. Its brilliant stuff! Highly recommended!

I started off with just a pinch as shes fussy but then upped it gradually. Shes now on two teaspoons a day.

Theres a group on fb that is really helpful called 'turmeric users group'. So many encouraging testamonies on there:)

Izzy&Ella

Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply! I've got her a bag in an asian food shop which I persuaded my dad to take me too! :)

I can't seem to find coconut oil anywhere! Could I use sunflower or corn oil? I've got a pepper grinder already :)

My local feed shop doesn't sell linseed oil either which is quite annoying, so I guess I'll have to use olive oil :)

I'm a member of the turmeric user group on fb, I posted on there yesterday with regards to my 23 year old mare :)

Wow, your story is quite inspiring too! Its mainly needed for her stiff and clicky joints so hopefully I will see an improvement all round with her :) xx

claribella

Visit site
Its best not to use man made oils like vegetable oil or sunflower oil because they are both inflammatries which combats what the turmeric is tryin to do as its an anti-inflammatory. You can use micronized linseed, I use that but also add a bit of olive oil to it as well:)

I know Im blown away by the effects of it. I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis and my hands were really hurting the other night so I took a teaspoon in a glass of milk and despite it being absolutely disgusting, it worked a treat. I just need to find a palatableto feed it to myself:)

Keep us updated:~)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
All of my horses are on it now and I have just bought the Turmeric tablets from Healthspan. They work out quite expensive, but I assume that is because the curcumin is concerntrated. I am only on day 2 so waiting in eager anticipation for full effect yet.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I bought some on Sunday evening from a seller called valleyviewaimalfeed on ebay, arrived by courier this morning (Tue), £2.99 for 1kg plus £2.99 delivery.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I was feeding it with micro linseed, is this ok to get best effect or do I need to make it into a paste first.

I feed it with a cup of micronized linseed and 8 or 9 turns of black pepper - I then dampen the feed and mix iit all in

Valleyview Feeds are a great company I used to buy locust bean from them. The Asian cook shop online is the cheapest for 5kg of Turmeric it's £10

paulineh

Visit site
My mare has been on it since the beginning of January. I give her a 15ml scoop in the morning and the evening. I will add the black pepper and some Linseed. How much Black pepper do people use.

I have also just requested membership to the Turmeric user e's group on FB

Follysmum

Visit site
My mare has been on it since the beginning of January. I give her a 15ml scoop in the morning and the evening. I will add the black pepper and some Linseed. How much Black pepper do people use.

I have also just requested membership to the Turmeric user e's group on FB

Facebook group says 6/8 turns of pepper. ( off to buy a grinder lol )

TrasaM

Visit site
Its best not to use man made oils like vegetable oil or sunflower oil because they are both inflammatries which combats what the turmeric is tryin to do as its an anti-inflammatory. You can use micronized linseed, I use that but also add a bit of olive oil to it as well:)

I know Im blown away by the effects of it. I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis and my hands were really hurting the other night so I took a teaspoon in a glass of milk and despite it being absolutely disgusting, it worked a treat. I just need to find a palatableto feed it to myself:)

Keep us updated:~)
Claribella. I started taking it 3 weeks ago. I mix it with ground pepper and cocoanut oil and shape it into pellets that I can swallow without tasting. ( much lol) Cocoanut is best I think because it's also got good healthy properties and as it hardens it's easy to form into lumps big enough to swallow. I'm also really noticing a difference to my psoriasis and sore achy elbows. I stopped taking it for 3 days and woke up on 4th morning with sore elbows and itchy skin. Back on it again and will remain so this time.

TrasaM

Visit site
This is a good and affordable coconut oil - for horses and humans. It has so many health benefits for people too! This has the flavour extracted so you can use for all your cooking, as well add to horses feed with turmeric.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KTC-100%-Pu...F8&qid=1393505477&sr=8-5&keywords=coconut+oil

That explains it! I've got that brand here in Cyprus and noticed there's no flavour whereas the one I bought from Tescos is very cocoanutty. Mines in a bottle though..somewhat impractical as you have to submerge in warm water to melt it to get it out.