Turn out - day or overnight or 24/7 - not sure what to do!

cheekywelshie

Visit site
So the Welshie has been out in the day with two mares and in at night with a haynet and his dinner (Safe and Sound) over spring and summer. He's fairly trim - (puts weight on easily) and seemed ok ( tho I had seem him trying to graze over the fence) - until the other night when he seemed to come in starving as he wolfed his food down then we had an episode of choke - fortunately only lasted fifteen minutes or so.

The next day he went out as normal. There isn't lots of grass but it isn't a bare paddock either. He's out with 2 others though in the evening the field may be grazed by the three that go out at night - they have access to another field which they seem to go in but sometimes they graze in the 'daytime' paddock as the other field is accessed through this. Anyway on Friday I left him out all day (during the day he's in the 'day' paddock only, the gate to the other is closed) and then all night where he had access to the other field. I went down the next morning and he looked a bit sleepy but not starving.. Saturday I did the same. I expected he will have less energy but of course now the rain has come I am worried maybe 24/7 not a good idea - maybe he'll put weight on - he's fairly good at the minute or maybe he'll be at risk from lami - or...arghhh what are most folks doing this time of year ! Should I go back to the old routine and give more hay, or turn out at night and in in day or just leave him out 24/7 and see how he goes!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im about a mile down the road from you and we have so much grass atm, its a nightmare. Will be interested to hear what folk suggest cos I cant seem to find a happy medium, mine is either too fat or starving, lives on fresh air!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh blimey that all sounds very complicated for first thing on a Monday morning. Personally if it were me I would leave him out 24/7 BUT I am not a fan of stabling and I'm even less of a fan of mucking out which is why my two live out 24/7 with access to a shelter or open stable doors.

Make the most of the time of year and leave him out. You'll have enough mucking out in winter so savour this time.

scats

Visit site
I have a very good doer who can't exercise due to a breathing issue so I have to rely solely on managing her diet to keep her weight down. Our grass is amazing, so she is out overnight in a muzzle and in during the day with some hay.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Another in the same location as you and my grass is ridiculously lush. I also have welshies and they would be ticking time bombs if I put them out on the good stuff. It may not be practical for you but I use a track system around the perimeter of the field during Spring / Summer and then strip graze the foggage during the colder months.

Auslander

Visit site
Oh blimey that all sounds very complicated for first thing on a Monday morning. Personally if it were me I would leave him out 24/7 BUT I am not a fan of stabling and I'm even less of a fan of mucking out which is why my two live out 24/7 with access to a shelter or open stable doors.

Make the most of the time of year and leave him out. You'll have enough mucking out in winter so savour this time.

I'm with you on the 24/7 turnout thing - all mine are. However, OP has a native pony, who is disposed to weight issues, and this a high risk time of year - probably better off being managed quite carefully

Annagain

Visit site
I'd turn him out overnight and have him in during the day. It sounds like the "night" paddock has a bit more grass so he wouldn't be starving (or rather slightly hungry, I know how these Welshies exaggerate their hunger :D) but it would still be controlled. The other option could be to bring him in to a haynet for half an hour before you feed him so he doesn't wolf it down and get choke again.

MagicMelon

Visit site

This for me too. If Ive got a fat one, Id rather they were out 24/7 moving about so are at least using up calories. I dont really get why people would choose to stable as surely thats limiting their exercise hugely and then you've still got to give them unlimited fibre of some sort. Ive got 3, all very different and all live out 24/7. One is a native and literally lives on air, she's still slightly too chunky IMO yet she's been on a fenced off small paddock all summer with no hay so just very short grass. The other is a skinny TB type who Ive been giving the best grass (rotating the fields to let them grow in between etc.) yet as soon as I stopped giving him ab lib hay a couple of months ago he started losing again so he has a big bale of hay back to himself. The other horse is a good doer but seems to be fine on grass yet give her hay and she balloons! So its not the easiest when I have 3 with such different requirements. But Id still choose to keep them out 24/7. Can you not fence off a section and leave it at that? Yes he'll probably think he's hungry but you're not starving him and unfortunately thats how diets go.

twiggy2

Visit site
Can he stay in the day paddock day and night with some mixed soaked hay and straw to top him up if needed?
If not I would muzzle at night amd bring in for a few hours each day for soaked hay

EmmaB

Visit site
If he's looking ok weight wise as he is then I'd probably just stick to the same routine he's already on and just make sure his feed is extra sloppy to avoid choke! If he really seems hungry then you could up the hay overnight -soaked if need be?