Turn out help please - having a crack at showing!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
After having a conversation with a friend I'm thinking about having a little go at some ridden showing (something I've never done before!)

I'm thinking just a Riding Club horse, I'm not sure what else we would be eligible to do really as he's a un-registered tb x (standardbred) 15.2hh bay, i know hes not the best put together but its just for fun and to get him out and about a bit - were not aiming for hoys or anything ;) Here's a pic of the beast http://instagr.am/p/S58fz2Ciiw/

So would I need to wear a tweed jacket? What colour tweed is correct? If tweed I have to wear a tie or can I wear a coloured stock? Generally I've got long black boots, cream breeches brown and black gloves, do I need to wear spurs (I've only got roller balls are they acceptable?) but I don't wear them with him normally, got navy hat with flesh strap and hairnets etc.. Anything else?

Are there any other classes you think we could have a go at?

Many thanks! After only ever doing 2 in- hand classes I'm totally flummoxed by the world of ridden showing!! :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Don't wear black gloves for english showing, brown only. At the riding club level I don't think it matters whether you wear tweed or a black jacket. You don't have to wear spurs unless you horse goes better with them!

No earings. More important that what you wear is what sort of show your horse does and also how it stands and walks and trots in hand. Will he always take the correct canter lead? Will he extend into a gallop and then come back easily to canter again. Can you do a neat figure of 8 for your indiviual show. Make sure they are standing correctly particularly when you take him out in hand, and in the line-up.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Thanks orange horse, so brown gloves no earrings no spurs!

So I have to do an individual show, including gallop? Trotting poles and a small jump? Does the judge ride too, do I have to untack to lead inhand?

Thanks, sorry for all the numpty questions!

Louby

Visit site
Im being a numpty too but its years since I did any showing and Im going to have a go this year too.
Ive got a black jacket but have been told blue??? Only saying this as dont want to go out and buy a blue one if I can wear my black one?

SmallHunter

Visit site
Individual show for RC horse will normally include a jump and yes a gallop at the end is a good way to finish. The judge won't ride unless you do a class like riding horse or hunter but at riding club level that depends on the judge. For the trot up you remove saddle and take reins over the head.

SmallHunter

Visit site
Im being a numpty too but its years since I did any showing and Im going to have a go this year too.
Ive got a black jacket but have been told blue??? Only saying this as dont want to go out and buy a blue one if I can wear my black one?

Black is not correct for showing and blue is only correct if you are doing show pony or hack classes. Tweed is for everything else.

nikCscott

Visit site
Arg! So riding club horse and riding horse are different things?

There's no chance for me!

Of course there is! :)

At Riding club level there will only be a handful of classes so just choose the one that suits your horse best- sometimes it may be RC horse usually there will be something which suits you better- everyone will be doing the same- choosing which classes best fit there horse.

Tweed, tie, brown gloves, brown numnah and girth, plaited (stitched) and everything clean and shiny. Practice with some friends in a line up and get him happy to be left by the horse next to him and to leave the line himself. Practice your show- youtube is great for seeing what others do.

Relax, smile have fun. :D

Louby

Visit site
Black is not correct for showing and blue is only correct if you are doing show pony or hack classes. Tweed is for everything else.

Thanks for that, I have Black for dressage but am buying a Tweed for Hunter classes, it was just things like Equitation, my friend said Blue. Im glad I havent bought one now.

Sorry OP, Im not trying to hijack you post, just read one of your earlier replies saying Black was ok, so was interested.

Good Luck

Todmiester

Visit site
Riding Club Classes the horse should be in a snaffle

Jockey should be in Tweed, shirt and tie, breeches (not white) long boots, brown gloves.

A jump is involved in the indivual show.

The aim of the class is to show that you have a horse that the Judge would like to ride and jump themselves. You can gallop if you wish.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Tweed jacket is correct, but if you only have black then at a small riding club show it isn't so important. However, some Riding Club shows are a very high standard. Normally the judge won't ride, but some judges like to. Clue is in what the judge is wearing! Make sure your horse is used to be ridden by someone else. At a one day show (perhaps with some qualifiers, well established hunt shows, etc) then the judge will ride and correct turnout would be more important.

A Riding Horse is a type, smaller and lighter than a hunter but not as fine as a hack. Oddly there is sometimes cross entering with hunters and hacks appearing in riding horse classes! In Riding Horse classes a double bridle or pelham with 2 reins would be correct and brown saddle and bridle.

Best Riding Club Horse is normally shown in a snaffle - sometimes this is in the schedule - and there is usually a small fence to jump.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Thanks for all the help, thats brilliant!
One last thing though - could you take a look at the link pic of my horse : http://instagr.am/p/S58fz2Ciiw/ and see whether he would be ok for riding horse - or is he more of a hack? (in which, if I understand correctly, -not likely! ;) -I could wear my normal navy jacket and stock combo?) or is there any other class he might be suitable for?

My one and only foray into showing was the month after I got him, I took him in hand to see how he would behave- and entered the 'over 14.2hh' class because I was so perplexed by the array of others I had no clue about!

NikCScott - funnily enough my sj instructor keeps telling me to relax and smile and enjoy myself too ;) thanks for reminding me that Ill need a brown numnah though (I'm afraid to admit I do not own a single numnah of any colour at all!!)

mcnaughty

Visit site
He is defo not a hack. Try looking at some professional photos on say Fred the Cat, ES Photography and Equinational - these guys are top level and have got the "what not to wear" book!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned your head? What hat do you have? You want either a skull cap with a matching velvet silk or a velvet hat - never a SJ style hat and always a hairnet. Put a bit of lippy on and SMILE !!

Actually, from what I can see in that one photo - more would be good! Is that he is a nice horse, nice shoulder anyway, can really see the back end .... Does he jump? You might get away with a working hunter clsss too??

humblepie

Visit site
Haven't looked at photo but st local level used to do basically everything going with my horse so riding horse riding club horse hunter sports horse competition horse He was a riding horse really but at local level big enough for hunter classes as well. Basically enjoy and don't stress it.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Exciting stuff! When are you going? Always happy to be groom if you need me :) Can lend you my showing hat too if it fits (and if you haven't already got one!)

Sully's a bit like Wibs - half way between a hack and a riding horse... But you are much more likely to find a riding horse class at a show than a hack class!

PS - you'll be fine with just the sheepskin half pad on under his saddle, unless he objects to no numnah?
PPS - if you'd like, next time I go home I can bring a showing cane back up aswell! And even Wib's fancy browband (if you don't object to an orange monstrosity :p)

Last edited:

cavalo branco

Visit site
At local level, as others have said, you probably won't find a hack class. He looks as though he could do riding horse and maybe working hunter if he can jump, as well as riding club horse. Riding club horse is a good starting point as the horse can be less "true to type" and score highly for performance.

Usually you start in walk trot and canter on both reins, all together, before lining up for an individual show. Occasionally you might be given a set show to do. The judge usually asks what riding club activities you do with your horse, and although you do not have to jump the one or two fences, you are unlikely to win if you don't!

Usually your show should encorporate a gallop/extended canter and you must do your downward transitions easily and finish with a square halt and salute. You are usually also asked to ride in a snaffle. I have never stripped and run up in riding club horse classes,unlike most other show classes.

Orangehorse

Visit site
He IS pretty. Up to you now to have him well schooled!

You won't find hack classes at local shows, they are only at the really big ones - Royal Windsor springs to mind.

Just go through the schedule and enter which classes you think he could do. Riding Horse, Riding Club/Family Horse, Sports Horse, Small Hunter, Ladies Hunter - although he would probably look too small in Hunter Classes. Obviously he is not going to be in a cob class (although you sometimes get a cob in a hunter class if there isn't anything else they can enter on the day).

Remember that not every judge likes the same sort of horse and they will have an idea in their head of the winner of their class. So it is quite possible to be top of the class under one judge, and then way down the line at the next show. Keep in mind that you do it for fun and just accept the judge's decision. It is nice to do well but not the end of the world if you don't.

3bh

Visit site
Sorry to nit pick, but Ladies Hunter is a very specific class, unless the OP shows him sidesaddle, then this isn't the right class for her! ;-)

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Ooh thanks for all the advice, I think riding club horse and riding horse both sound like something we could have a go at!

FF- I think so :) I don't post many pics a) as I rarely have a photographer b) the idiot on top somewhat detracts from my poor horse!

BN - I've been meaning to text you! How's things? I haven't got any real concrete plans for him - just mulling over trying something new! I' ll definitely take you up on the offer of grooming when I pick a date! - you need to come and ride, he's *touches wood madly* going really well at the moment, really starting to work from behind and is a lot straighter!

He does jump - wh is not something I'd ever considered though..,hummm more to mull over. Jockey is a wimp though - in fact BronsonN i think that might be good for you to take him into and show me how it's done!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
3bh that's interesting about the ladies hunter class, I wouldn't have known they were supposed to be side saddle! Although I'd love to have a go at side saddle - I think you're right it's probably not the class for us! :)