Turning 4 this year?

Spirit7

Visit site
Hello

Interested is what everyone is doing with youngsters turning 4 this year if anything at all?

Already broken, breaking etc and what you have planned?

I’m in two minds myself but stabled alone so looking for some insight into what others are doing atm please and type of horse etc and overall intentions/ goals.

I do have lots of horsey friend and close with yard owner locally so not isolated just not in general day to day yard chat.
Thanks for any replies !

Patterdale

Visit site
Mine was lightly backed last summer, then turned away, and I’ve got him in and hacked him out twice since then. I’ll just fiddle about with him and he’s going to camp in June for some life experience. I’ll plan to do a couple of small shows maybe end of the summer, turn away again and then get going properly this time next year.

That’s the plan anyway!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I spent this afternoon long reining my girl up and down the tracks... she was an absolute star but I made the error of going for a little trot and realised that short legged me can't keep up with a 17hh all legs KWPN... to give her her due though she came back to me straight away when I asked for the walk... Can wait to be on board and then I can actually keep up with her.

supagran

Visit site
Our rising 4 year old was backed in the autumn last year, walk, trot and small canter in the arena, a couple of hacks and then turned away for 3 months. Now back in work - maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mainly hacking, but some school work with a few jumps. He is loving his work. He won’t do a lot, maybe a few clinics and then a few small shows later in the season. He’s definitely one for the future so will be best done slowly.

Spirit7

Visit site
Mine was lightly backed last summer, then turned away, and I’ve got him in and hacked him out twice since then. I’ll just fiddle about with him and he’s going to camp in June for some life experience. I’ll plan to do a couple of small shows maybe end of the summer, turn away again and then get going properly this time next year.

That’s the plan anyway!
Sounds sensible. What’s camp exactly, is that away with you or someone else? Thanks x

Spirit7

Visit site
I spent this afternoon long reining my girl up and down the tracks... she was an absolute star but I made the error of going for a little trot and realised that short legged me can't keep up with a 17hh all legs KWPN... to give her her due though she came back to me straight away when I asked for the walk... Can wait to be on board and then I can actually keep up with her.
Lol. Yes I’ve not long reined out yet, only at home, same fears and mines only 15.3 atm and I’m not short lol. Thank you

Spirit7

Visit site
Our rising 4 year old was backed in the autumn last year, walk, trot and small canter in the arena, a couple of hacks and then turned away for 3 months. Now back in work - maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mainly hacking, but some school work with a few jumps. He is loving his work. He won’t do a lot, maybe a few clinics and then a few small shows later in the season. He’s definitely one for the future so will be best done slowly.
I’m sort of here re backed last year lightly and working up to working 3/4 times a week. Not going to jump this year although we’ve walked poles and trek like stuff. I’m an amateur so not in rush for anything as not got any big goals but would like to do some riding club/ local ode one day!

Ahrena

Visit site
Mine was also lightly backed last year.
Done lots of walking out in hand and long reining. I’ve sat on her a few times but currently waiting for a new saddle so that’s put the brakes on.

She’s very opinionated though and gets anxious so lots of repetition does her good.

Spirit7

Visit site
Mine was also lightly backed last year.
Done lots of walking out in hand and long reining. I’ve sat on her a few times but currently waiting for a new saddle so that’s put the brakes on.

She’s very opinionated though and gets anxious so lots of repetition does her good.
The saddle issue has held me up here and there this year but currently settled in one that should be ok for a couple of months before adjusting.
I think repetition is the best way over and over but I’v kept all my training / riding to 15 mins bites so far although I’ve combined things.
Mine seems super keen and masters opening a gate from being mounted 2nd time but also thinks trucks are full of hay and snack wagons so slightly worried about increasing road work in case of convertablies 😂
What lovely mare do you have?

Auslander

Visit site
Our resident baby was lightly backed last year by a great guy, who longreined him everywhere for a bit then hopped on and hacked him for a month before he went anywhere near the school. He came home and hacked gently for a few months, and has been on holiday, but coming in at night, all winter. He's going away for a few months herd turnout soon, and will go from there straight to the guy who back him for a referesher course.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Can I come and watch that next time? 😁

teddy_

Visit site
I very lightly backed my rising 4YO WB in November. Just walking around the arena and the farm with some easy long reining thrown in for good measure.

She is going to Jason Webb for a month at the tail end of May to be 'completed' and I cannot wait 😁😁!

Spirit7

Visit site
Our resident baby was lightly backed last year by a great guy, who longreined him everywhere for a bit then hopped on and hacked him for a month before he went anywhere near the school. He came home and hacked gently for a few months, and has been on holiday, but coming in at night, all winter. He's going away for a few months herd turnout soon, and will go from there straight to the guy who back him for a referesher course.
What baby do you have? I’ve not thought about sending away at all, I wanted to make my own from scratch although I think sending away would be safer as I’m getting on but so far so good. Thanks for reply

Spirit7

Visit site
I very lightly backed my rising 4YO WB in November. Just walking around the arena and the farm with some easy long reining thrown in for good measure.

She is going to Jason Webb for a month at the tail end of May to be 'completed' and I cannot wait 😁😁!
Oooh Jason Webb. That sounds very expensive. But I’m sure you’ll end up with a lovely horse. I have a very sensitive w/b, I do wonder if I’m being selfish doing it myself with the odd pro friend rider getting on so not a one woman horse !

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The baby hairy critter isn't 4 until end of August, and a bit skinny and looking on the cusp of a growth spurt at the moment so she probably won't do much ridden work until the autumn. I sat on her and walked about a bit at the end of last year and now she will just do long reining and might look at getting her broken to drive first... Dunno, will see how she matures physically

Spirit7

Visit site
The baby hairy critter isn't 4 until end of August, and a bit skinny and looking on the cusp of a growth spurt at the moment so she probably won't do much ridden work until the autumn. I sat on her and walked about a bit at the end of last year and now she will just do long reining and might look at getting her broken to drive first... Dunno, will see how she matures physically
Oh critter lol. What breed? Sounds sensible. Thanks

teddy_

Visit site
Oooh Jason Webb. That sounds very expensive. But I’m sure you’ll end up with a lovely horse. I have a very sensitive w/b, I do wonder if I’m being selfish doing it myself with the odd pro friend rider getting on so not a one woman horse !
A wee bit expensive, yes 🥹... However, he is one of few pros in my part of the world who will not faff around with manipulating a young horse into a frame, or hammer them in the arena.

It's not selfish at all - I would have finished the job myself if I had suitable help and enough time to be consistent. Arguably, a sensitive horse is better placed to stay at home with the people they trust to be broken if possible 😁.

Spirit7

Visit site
A wee bit expensive, yes 🥹... However, he is one of few pros in my part of the world who will not faff around with manipulating a young horse into a frame, or hammer them in the arena.

It's not selfish at all - I would have finished the job myself if I had suitable help and enough time to be consistent. Arguably, a sensitive horse is better placed to stay at home with the people they trust to be broken if possible 😁.
I’m same part of the world (Surrey near Kent border) so yes if it all goes wrong JW will be my savour I hope.

I’m really enjoying playing with my boy and my 21 year old has never had so much fun or field movement so hopefully it’s going to be ok.

thanks for reply and best luck it’s all so exciting.

I’m aiming for a local show ridden class late August I think as a working goal after all your replies.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I backed my then 4yo very carefully and lightly after lots of groundwork and preparation, but just at a walk and a bit of trot in straight lines. I ponied him off my eldest on hacks and we did some long-reining as well. As a 5yo, he got lightly hacked, some schooling and a couple of small canters, as well as his first little show (walk, trot and ground poles). He will be 6 this June and I plan to slowly integrate more schooling, depending on how he develops, as he is a big boy and took a lot of time to grow and develop true balance. I've raised him from foal and my plan in general is to let him develop at his pace to mostly do hacking, fun shows, dressage and a little bit of jumping if he shows an aptitude to it. :)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Mine goes out for walks, travelled, been to shows and lunged. But not backed yet. I'm in absolutely no hurry, so will hopefully be backed this year.

Spirit7

Visit site
Thank you. We did an in hand show (walked there) last year. Hoping to ride this year. Not in a hurry either but happy to be on board this year properly. What horse do you have ? Thanks

dorsetladette

Visit site
I sat on ours a few times at the end of last year. I had the basic stop, go, left and right in walk and stopped at that. He hasn't grown as big as expected so I've spent the winter slimming down and he's had the winter being a hippo in the field. He'll come in at Easter and have a bit of a tidy up before some light hacking over summer. I'd like to do a little dressage (walk and trot) comp and a couple of short fun rides with him before the end of the year.

He's done lots of in hand showing as a yearling and two year old so he is pretty clued up regarding the world outside our yard.

monte1

Visit site
Mine is 4 in May, i did all the pre backing work and sat on him few times earlier this year, sent him for two weeks to a pro to get him started properly, came back last week, i am very pleased with him so far, definitely did a super job and I got to walk, trot canter him in arena before he came home, I've now lightly hacked him a couple of times, need to still develop better steering and brakes but overall, he's doing brilliantly, he will continue to do a bit of very light hacking and maybe some simple school work one or twice a week. maybe go out somewhere this summer then chill out to grow over winter, i am in no rush.

Spirit7

Visit site
Mine is rising 4, i did all the pre backing work and sat on him few times earlier this year, sent him for two weeks to a pro to get him started properly, came back last week, i am very pleased with him so far, definitely did a super job and I got to walk, trot canter him in arena before he came home, I've now lightly hacked him a couple of times, need to still develop better steering and brakes but overall, he's doing brilliantly, he will continue to do a bit of very light hacking and maybe some simple school work one or twice a week. maybe go out somewhere this summer then chill out to grow over winter, i am in no rush.
This sounds like a good plan. Thank you

BBP

Visit site
Mine will be 4 in May. I’m not planning to sit on him til next year, I always wished I had given BBP another year, and I’m not in a hurry. Given he ruptured a tendon at 20months I’m grateful to even be considering sitting on him one day. I got him as a yearling and haven’t really messed with him much at all. He’s been so good that there hasn’t seemed much point. This year is all about getting him hacking out in hand, getting out in the lorry to in hand lessons and working on postural work so he’s in a good place to carry a rider.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have a 17.1hh ID who is 4 in early May.

I have done a huge amount of groundwork with him since I got him in May 2023, so he's actually well muscled and balanced for his age (according to his saddle fitter/physio/bodyworker) which has helped him in being started. In these ground work sessions has done in hand poles, shoulder in, travers, collection and extension within the trot (as much as a baby can), inside and outside flexion on a circle, leg yield, long and low backing up, direct transitions halt to trot etc - 90% on vocal queue in short sessions, he seemed to really enjoy it. We also walked in hand all around our local hacking.

He was very lightly backed at home by a local jockey last September over two weeks, got stop/start/walk and one long side of trot and called it there, then I re-backed him end of Feb this year. I was planning to wait longer but as I had lost my job and was on garden leave, it seemed like too ideal an opportunity to pass up. He has been ridden independently 11 times now, 10 in the school for 5-10 mins at a time in walk with a sprinkle of trot, and once to go up the road. I intend to do more hacking and less schooling now that our local ground has dried up a lot more and it's lighter in the evenings, he will be ridden 2 times a week and do 2 in hand sessions. The aim this year is to do one walk trot dressage test or a showing show, more for the outing experience than anything else, and one short sponsored ride.

I am not sure if I'll keep him in work over winter or not, we have shortened turnout times (7-3 or 4pm) so it might be better to keep him ticking over. If I could have him out 12+ hours, or living out then I would give him the time off probably. I'll see what I have when I get there.

Spirit7

Visit site
Mine will be 4 in May. I’m not planning to sit on him til next year, I always wished I had given BBP another year, and I’m not in a hurry. Given he ruptured a tendon at 20months I’m grateful to even be considering sitting on him one day. I got him as a yearling and haven’t really messed with him much at all. He’s been so good that there hasn’t seemed much point. This year is all about getting him hacking out in hand, getting out in the lorry to in hand lessons and working on postural work so he’s in a good place to carry a rider.
Best luck and enjoy yourself. Horrid when a youngster has an injury. Mine impaled himself 6 months back and it was very scary x

Spirit7

Visit site
I have a 17.1hh ID who is 4 in early May.

I have done a huge amount of groundwork with him since I got him in May 2023, so he's actually well muscled and balanced for his age (according to his saddle fitter/physio/bodyworker) which has helped him in being started. In these ground work sessions has done in hand poles, shoulder in, travers, collection and extension within the trot (as much as a baby can), inside and outside flexion on a circle, leg yield, long and low backing up, direct transitions halt to trot etc - 90% on vocal queue in short sessions, he seemed to really enjoy it. We also walked in hand all around our local hacking.

He was very lightly backed at home by a local jockey last September over two weeks, got stop/start/walk and one long side of trot and called it there, then I re-backed him end of Feb this year. I was planning to wait longer but as I had lost my job and was on garden leave, it seemed like too ideal an opportunity to pass up. He has been ridden independently 11 times now, 10 in the school for 5-10 mins at a time in walk with a sprinkle of trot, and once to go up the road. I intend to do more hacking and less schooling now that our local ground has dried up a lot more and it's lighter in the evenings, he will be ridden 2 times a week and do 2 in hand sessions. The aim this year is to do one walk trot dressage test or a showing show, more for the outing experience than anything else, and one short sponsored ride.

I am not sure if I'll keep him in work over winter or not, we have shortened turnout times (7-3 or 4pm) so it might be better to keep him ticking over. If I could have him out 12+ hours, or living out then I would give him the time off probably. I'll see what I have when I get there.
Very much like what you’re doing and nice to see lots of people on same page. I’m going to let my boy mature again over winter once the evenings draw in but lucky as my lot always go out for 8 - 14 hours depending on time of year. I’d like to ge to a ridden show and up my hacking. I’ve not cantered in school yet, waiting for a nice dry uphill hacking canter first. Thanks for reply and enjoy the summer.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Very much like what you’re doing and nice to see lots of people on same page. I’m going to let my boy mature again over winter once the evenings draw in but lucky as my lot always go out for 8 - 14 hours depending on time of year. I’d like to ge to a ridden show and up my hacking. I’ve not cantered in school yet, waiting for a nice dry uphill hacking canter first. Thanks for reply and enjoy the summer.

Thanks for posting the thread, I nearly posted an identical one a few days later as I was wondering what people were doing with their rising 4yos too. It's hard to bounce ideas off people when you have the only youngster on the yard other than a yearling and a couple foals!