Turning a 4 year old away

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Just after a bit of advice.

I have a mare that’s just turning 4 this year (in May) she was doing ground work for the last part of 2021. I backed her myself this year and have been lightly riding her for 6 weeks. She’s doing so well ridden, only light hacking 3 times a week. Haven’t been in the arena! She has been hacking alone and we had a short canter with another horse today, which went well.

I’d like to turn her away at some point, but I’m not sure when. Wondering if turning her away for a couple of months from say May-June or giving her this full winter off?

I’m on a livery yard and in winter we get daily turnout everyday but they come in at night. I know turning her away mid summer she’ll loose her muscle she’s built up, so not sure if it’s worth just doing 5 months off from say October. I prefer to give her winter off, but is there any benefit in giving her some time off in summer?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

sport horse

Visit site
I breed a few. From choice we back them during their 3 year old summer and get them to walk, trot and canter and short hack out in company then they are turned away until mid summer of their 4 yer old year when they come in and start real work ready for their sporting careers. In your position I would turn her away once the spring grass has come through (assuming she is not a native and going to get lamiitis!) and give a month or so off. Then get her back into work and if it suits you give her the winter off too. Make life easy for yourself if you are not on a time scale to produce her for a special reason such as age group classes.