Turning adult horse away in winter?

BlackK

Visit site
I have a nightmare livery situation going on at the moment and I've looked into a new yard but cannot find anything that suits which is near me. I've decided to take matters into my own hand and try and buy my own field. I've had enough of having my hobby ruined due to other people so I'm going to make this jump!!

So....at the mo, I cannot face my yard. I'm totally dodging the other livery whom I have fallen out with which means I'm there in the dark and when I'm there, I can't face riding! Her horse goes ape when I take my horse off the yard and it makes me uncomfortable when she isn't there in case he hurts himself :( altho we don't like each other, I couldn't live with myself if her horse hurt himself.

So I am thinking of turning my ned away until feb or until I have found a field. Is this bad? Will she ruin? I will still be there for her twice a day and she lives out 24/7.

I know I will feel guilty like she is bring neglected and for not riding - how do you swallow that lol?

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Firstly I feel for you being in a situation where you are unable to enjoy your horse without hassle. Sadly it won't improve so in your situation I would certainly turn her away for now, it's not a long time but a lot of people don't ride in the winter (I know so many who are fair weather riders) and their horses certainly don't suffer and you will still be going down there twice a day.

You don't mention if you are looking for a horse to share your field, just remember that horses are herd animals and it is far kinder to keep them with others or at least in sight of others.

Best of luck and I hope your situation changes for the better soon. X

BlackK

Visit site
Thank you Princess! That makes me feel better, isn't guilt over your horse the worst thing!

I have a companion for her lined up - my friends son has gone to uni and his horse is being left so I'm taking him :)

I feel sick driving to the yard at the mo...very grim :/

Andalucian

Visit site
Move yard whilst looking for your own field, you sound like you need a break from this stress. Your horse will understand, it will know there is an atmosphere, they're clever like that ;)

BlackK

Visit site
Thanks andalucian - your right! We used to sit and chat for hours but now we don't speak - it's actually very sad as we were very good friends (or so I thought!). The horses now just look at us walking past each other not speaking and you can almost see them saying "oooh look at these 2...handbags are out. Let's just go eat this like of hay and stay out the way"!

Rudders74

Visit site
Theres been quote a few threads over the past couple of month about riding in winter and lots if people who replied to say they barely rode, or didnt ride at all or turned away for the whole winter with no ill effect to their horses. It certainly made me feel better as mine has had a couple of months off when I injured myself. Yes they will loose a bit of muscle tone but that will come back and as long as they have food, shelter, water and visits to check on them etc they will be happy as larry.

MissTyc

Visit site
1) your horse will not ruin
-- mine frequently end up "turned away" because of light/work/illness in the winter, and they always come back happy to work, sometimes better than ever. They lse some muscle tone, they are perhaps not quite as straight and sharp, but within weeks they are back to fitness

2) but you don't WANT to turn your horse away. Try to find another yard that better suits your needs, even if it is temporary while you are looking for a new field. It seems totally unfair that you don't ride for the next 10 weeks, or take your horse out, just because of an SEP (someone else's problem). Never let an SEP become YOUR problem!

3) January is ****. (HUGS)

BlackK

Visit site
Thank you Rudders...I hope your injury isn't bad!

Definately do not feel bad about this now! To be honest, the weather here has been shocking since Xmas so I doubt I "could" have ridden anyway!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sounds awful. I left my yard to go to a private rented field about 3 years ago but remember the feeling of not wanting to spend time with my horse. It's not nice.
Your horse will be fine. I've done it this year for the first time ever. Horse had his shoes off and they have chilled out eating in the fields perfectly happily. It's actually been really lovely to have some free time and not be trying to ride in horrific weather.
Good luck with your new place x

Arzada

Visit site
Thank you Princess! That makes me feel better, isn't guilt over your horse the worst thing!

I have a companion for her lined up - my friends son has gone to uni and his horse is being left so I'm taking him :)

I feel sick driving to the yard at the mo...very grim :/
Sadly had similar experience - I knew I had to move for both of us. Go for it - your horse will be fine and so will you.

BlackK

Visit site
Thank you so much to you all :) that's really made me feel confident I'm making the right decision! My ned doesn't really like work in any form so she is prob in her element!

Going to view a field for sale this afternoon so fingers crossed it's ok! Bloody horse costs me a fortune is stress and anxiety but she is worth it.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
No you won't ruin her. Mine had 7 weeks complete holiday in autumn, chucked out without a rug or shoes with an ancient pony for company. He then got an access which needed nearly 2 wks box rest and a further 2 wks off. Been back in work for about 10 days now and feels better than he's ever felt!!

nianya

Visit site
If you mean you won't ride, it's not the worst thing. Mine have gone unridden due to injuries or other life events longer (I don't know anyone I'd trust to ride them). Since he's out on a field getting a bit of exercise on his own and he's not alone he'll be just fine. Just out of shape when you start up again :)

Sometimes it's really good for them to have some time off too, they'll come back eager for the work and attention!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Firstly OP, you won't ruin your horse. Mine have been turned away since November and I have ridden them 4 or 5 times in that time, and they are fine.

Secondly, you will not regret having your own place. I got my own place 8 weeks ago and I LOVE IT! My livery yard was too overstocked and there was one trouble causing livery who was sweet as pie to your face, but a ***** behind everyone's back. She had a massive jealous fit when I left, accused me of all sorts and tried to spread a rumour about me. I genuinely feel like a different person since I got my own place and I would never ever go back to livery again.

BlackK

Visit site
Ah thank you all so much...I feel so much better about this now!

Next mission is to find my own land....not a clue?! Been to see some today but he wants £20,000 an acre...how realistic is that?

oldie48

Visit site
The horse I bought in the spring had been turned away over winter, he's 3/4tb x1/4ID. He came back into work easily. All I'd say is make sure you feed enough and don't neglect his feet, mine was a bit thin and it's taken 9 months to get his feet back into decent condition. With regards price of field, I think a lot depends on what you get with the land and how good the grass, drainage etc is. I'd probably ask a local land agent to give me an idea of the going rate in my area If I were buying or selling but I do know land suitable for equestrian use does go for a premium.

FairyLights

Visit site
its absolutely ok to turn horse away for the winter. My 2 are turned out at the moment in my own5 acre field. its bliss. I do hope you can buy your own field and that you and your horse will enjoy being together as much as me and mine do.

re £20,000 an acre a bit on the steep side , depends if YOU think its worth it. around me [Shropshire }small areas [ ie 1 to 12 acres] go for £12 k to £24 k an acre. larger areas for 10k to 12 k eg 50 acres.
ask local estate agents who deal with agricultural propeties for advice and get on their mailing lists.
In all honesty if a suitable field was offered to me at 20k per acre close to home then if I could afford it I'd buy it if my horses were at livery.

Last edited:

Chestnut horse

Visit site
Your horse will be fine turned away, but it's so sad when you fall out with a friend. Is there any chance of mending the rift and being good friends again, she may feel the same as you and be under the stress of 'not talking to friend'. Just a thought - it's a lot of money to buy your own field...... maybe this hiccup can be patched up. Good luck what ever you decide.

BlackK

Visit site
Good advice thank you :) re my friend, to be honest, I have found myself walking on eggshells around her for a while now. She treats people awfully and it was only a matter of time before it was turned on me. And I'm not surprised if has! To be honest, I feel relief that the friendship is over.

Had some good news, my YO has found me another field! No facilities whatsoever but grass livery so at least I can get away for a while to plan the next move!!

Next post.."how do people cope with no storage or hardstanding" lol!

L&M

Visit site
Buy a secure shed, use your car as a 'mobile tack room' and put down some rubber mats as temporary hard standing - simples!

Then look at creating a hardcore area when the ground is dry enough come spring.

Good luck x

BlackK

Visit site
This gets better, massive thumbs up for all the advice you've given :) 5acres for 2 horses, nice local hacking (it's done the road from my current yard) haaa! Owners live onsite and it's very secure.

Will be nice to let the horses relax and be horses.

Best empty the boot of the car!