Turning away 3yr old

1luckylady

New User
Visit site
My 3 Yr old has been in the process of getting backed since October. She is now having a rest, however we have also moved yards so I'm wondering what I can still do with her atm.
I don't want her to be worked in any way but I do want to spend time with her whilst she is settling into her new yard.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I d be walking her around the yard and showing her things. We re still riding our 3 year old once a week so she doesn’t forget the whole process and rest of the time we walk about, do some practise moving over when told..general handling…that sort of thing.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Alternatively, there are studies that show some work is beneficial for the young horse and their development (cartilage and skeletal for example). It's all about balance.

Mine will be 3 in 2024 and I won't be turning him away. It's just not a thing I do. If the horse tells me at anytime that they need a break mentally or physically, they'll get it, but I don't live by the "stop all work and turn away" thing. That doesn't mean it's wrong though.

I'd still do groundwork and consider some long lining as well as handwalks if you don't want to do ridden stuff. My youngster really likes having things to do and interacting with me, so that's another thing I'd consider as well. I really don't think he'd like to be turned away and handled minimally.

You can dabble in trick training and liberty stuff too.

Birker2020

Visit site
Alternatively, there are studies that show some work is beneficial for the young horse and their development (cartilage and skeletal for example). It's all about balance.

Mine will be 3 in 2024 and I won't be turning him away. It's just not a thing I do. If the horse tells me at anytime that they need a break mentally or physically, they'll get it, but I don't live by the "stop all work and turn away" thing. That doesn't mean it's wrong though.

I'd still do groundwork and consider some long lining as well as handwalks if you don't want to do ridden stuff. My youngster really likes having things to do and interacting with me, so that's another thing I'd consider as well. I really don't think he'd like to be turned away and handled minimally.

You can dabble in trick training and liberty stuff too.
It's finding the right balance. I guess.

maya2008

Visit site
I ride 3x a week for a gentle hack in the autumn/winter of their 3yo year. Spend that time learning about the outside world with little demand on their body. They love it and it sets them up with a positive ‘work is fun’ attitude. You could do the same in-hand or long-reining if you don’t want to ride.

In terms of groundwork, it depends what you want to achieve. If you look on YouTube, there are lots of things on there. Just look for a groundwork series that matches what you want to achieve with your horse. You could do groundwork to improve their aids under saddle, you could desensitise to common objects they might spook at, you could improve their manners on the ground…

fairyclare

Visit site
It's not a thing anyone does routinely except the British 😁
We just pick up the pieces of all the broken young horses who have been started too soon, done too much and had no break.

OP, there is plenty you can do that doesn’t involve ridden work, inhand stuff is great to show them the world, teach them about themselves and get them using their brain without putting undue stress on their growing bodies.

EDITED FOR TYPO’S.

Birker2020

Visit site
The trouble is that some people see a big large framed horse, they think because its big its strong, when nothing is further from the truth..

The growth plates are so important and to rush such a crucial and important stage in a horses development means that horse will be compromised later on in its life. The horse needs to mature mentally as well as physically.

Riding it gently a couple of times a week hacking for 20 mins and not asking much of it is fine but drilling it in circles in the school is hugely detrimental.

It's like anything, if done in moderation its fine. Most people are sensible, but some aren't.

Groundwork would be my option, not lunging, but long reining. Set up a labyrinth and teach it to move over with your hand or a schooling whip, teach it to lead, to load, to stand still.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
We just pick up the pieces of all the broken young horses who have been started too soon, done too much and had no break.
What nonsense. There are just as many lame and messed up horses in the UK as there are anywhere else. Possibly more; I've never seen so many horses on box rest, and I've worked with horses all over the world.

As long as you use good judgement and don't overwork young horses there are many approaches that don't involve a stop and start regimen. Breaking in at three and keeping them ticking along in light work 2 or 3 times a week has worked perfectly for me over 100's of horses. Also results in strong youngsters who aren't still "green" at 7 or 8 years of age.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Nobody is suggesting doing too much work with a 3 year old but there's is no evidence at all that not riding at all for the winter is helpful in any way.

Except perhaps to the backers who routinely advise that the horse comes back to them for re backing when it starts again. Money people wouldn't feel they needed to spend if they rode the horse for 15 minutes every few days.

I reckon this habit started in the UK because people didn't want to ride in bad weather unless they hunted.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I walked mine, in hand, for miles when she was rising three and three. I’d wrap up warmly, high viz everything possible and walk roads, woods, farms, railway bridges, villages. She met alpacas, went to a wedding, went to a school, went to the pub, watched a dressage clinic, learned about cows. She also did more formal in-hand work in the school or in the field, learning how to balance and use her back end properly and I did raised poles with her.

I backed her at rising 4, and then just slowly shifted the quantity of in-hand stuff to ridden stuff. She’s seven now and we still do in-hand and ridden blended.

maya2008

Visit site
Different points of view with different experiences.

Experienced people: of course you don’t need to turn away. But they, of course, know how much a 3 year old can do, have the confidence to ride through windy rainy days on a baby horse, and can keep a knowledgeable eye out for saddle fit problems.

People who’ve seen others overdo it: don’t ride a horse until it’s an adult, you’ll break it!

Backing yards: please give it the winter off because we don’t know you well enough to know whether you’ll be competent enough and don’t want you to ruin all that hard work.

As an aside, you have to take it slowly with an adult just like you do a 3 year old. It takes time to build muscle and understanding at any age.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's not a thing anyone does routinely except the British 😁

Yep!

OP, there is plenty you can do that doesn’t involve ridden work, inhand stuff is great to show them the world, teach them about themselves and get them using their brain without putting undue stress on their growing bodies.

EDITED FOR TYPO’S.

Who is we?

A horse that isn't turned away does not equal a broken horse. Sure, some people do too much with their young horse(s) but some so too much with any horse(s). Regardless of the age, you've got to be a good horse(wo)man, that doesn't always mean no ridden work or turning away.

Be sensible about it.

I really don't see the harm in keeping a 3 year old going through the winter. Of course I would not choose drilling in circles in the school as an option. I see no issue with light rides in and out of the school, hacks, handwalks, long lining, groundwork and some brain games of sorts.

Ideally, by 3 mine already lead, load, stand still, and yield to pressure/signals. That's the ABC's.

I also have to consider the horse in front of me. Mine sees my car pull up, watches me get out and follows me (in his field) up to the barn area. Or if I call him with halter in hand he will come (sometimes at a trot or canter). There's no food I give him, he lives out in a herd with no drama, and is otherwise content, so he seems to genuinely be interested in me and the possibility of doing something.

He's always open to whatever...poles, trying on a roller/surcingle, using something new (different halter, lunging cavesson, bridle, boots, clippers, etc). He's a naturally curious sort and learns fast. Of course I keep sessions short and am careful to not take advantage of his inquisitive and willing nature, but I honestly think that he would not thrive being turned away or on very minimal interaction. Sure, some days I just groom him and we only interact 3x per week, but it seems beneficial to him.

It's our job to see if the horse isn't mentally or physically ready for something. There are plenty of 3 year olds that can handle "work" throughout the year, and it can be beneficial.

I've not turned any of mine away, and I've always started with a 3 or 4 year old, except for the one I have now which I've had since he was a yearling. None of them have issues related to staying in work as a young horse (even if I don't own them anymore, I still see them around social media or am friendly with the current owner).

The one that had the biggest issues, was the one that wasn't seriously started or worked with until hs was 6. Would he have been as difficult if worked with earlier? I'm not sure, but I think it was a contributing factor.

SEL

Visit site
OP - nothing wrong with a light weight rider keeping a 3yo ticking over during the winter so they remember what they've been taught. If you don't feel comfortable riding then leading out in hand shows them life and makes hacking easier next year.

I think where the messages get confused is young horses who are over worked before their bodies are ready. It's like a primary school kid doing gymnastics - a few forward rolls aren't going to cause harm but intense training hammers the joints