Turning away beneficial when no real cause of lameness found?

CBFan

Visit site
My lad shows intermittent hind limb lameness and thus far we haven't found a cause. He's 17.2hh and 6 years old. Not really had a prolonged rest since he started work a couple of years ago. Totally random time of year I know but I am due to have an op myself meaning that I will be off my feet for about 3 months, so I am wondering whether to give my lad those 3 months as field rest and see what happens rather than going down the frustrating and expensive investigative route now? Anyone done similar with theirs with positive effect?

It just strikes me that some times we are so busy trying to put a label on a lameness when sometimes they have just 'tweaked something' and need a bit of time out...

HaffiesRock

Visit site
That sounds perfectly reasonable. A good break and some Dr Green may be all that is needed, and if not, least you know and can go down the investigation route.

Good luck with the Op and I hope your horse comes back sound.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Totally agree. When you're back from op and fully functioning again will be time enough to go further down the investigation route if necessary. Hopefully you'll both be better for the break and be ready to crack on.

NellRosk

Visit site
I wish more people would do this instead of box resting for months on end to no avail. If he has shoes on I'd get those removed and stick him out to chill for a few months. Good luck with your op and let us know how you both get on!

Copperpot

Visit site
I did this with my horse. Blocked to the foot but came sound in walk just before MRI. He still wasn't totally right so I left him 6 months in the field. Back riding now and had our first jump since May at the weekend and he feels great! I was so desperate to find out what was wrong, how I could fix it etc. x rays showed nothing.

Vet wanted him on box rest but after 4 weeks of that I just turned him out. He was happy and I felt better that he wasn't cooped up.

maccachic

Visit site
I wish more people would do this instead of box resting for months on end to no avail. If he has shoes on I'd get those removed and stick him out to chill for a few months. Good luck with your op and let us know how you both get on!

Agree with this time and (unforced) movement help with most things.

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
completely agree. I turned away a horse i didn't think as rideable again due to physical issues. Took him back in six months later to check and he was a completely different, happier horse.

CBFan

Visit site
Good to hear some positive responses to the option of turning him away - I'm really not up for box rest now!! Unfortunately when I looked at him this morning he was very lame on his left hind (having been okay the second half of last week and had 3 days off since Saturday) so have been trying to get hold of the vet to discuss investigating more thoroughly - looks to be coming from higher up so could cost £££ to find out what it is... worth it though for his benefit. still mulling over the options though...

Scatterbrain

Visit site
Turning away for a few months seems to work for some injuries, but the danger of doing this without a proper diagnosis is you could make matters worse if your horse decides to do acrobatics round his paddock. A full lameness work up is expensive, but well worth it for peace of mind to know what exactly you are dealing with, what type of treatment/rest is required and recommended duration for time off. What might be a minor strain and only require a short period of enforced rest can swiftly turn into a much more serious issue and require months of box rest without a proper diagnosis.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Just wanted to speak about my experience with my horse. Similar size (17hh) and 6 years. He has been lame a few times over the past few months, more short than hopping. The vet had a very quick look and said to rest for a few days and reassess. Has come sound after each period, however has been pretty tense and hot to ride, with pretty decent bucks and leaps! (please see my previous posts for a video)
I opted for nerve blocks and xrays, he been found to have OCD in his stifles. I opted for surgery whilst waiting at the vets for the surgery the referral vet wanted to scope him as she suspected stomach ulcers (none of the 3-4 different vets he has seen previously have even suggested this) after his scope he was found to have pretty serious ulcers. Surgery has been postponed as they feel that the pain in his stomach could be causing the lameness and bucks etc. I have a months course of Gastroguard prior to re-scoping and possibly reassess the lameness as it may not be present.
May not be useful to your current situation, and hopefully yours is nothing serious. But worth discussing with your vets. As advice costs nothing :)

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I think this is going to my plan when my horse has is sound in walk (battling with abscess on top of another unknown lameness) 6 months at grass will still give us time if we want to go down the more investigations route later. Good luck with your horse :)

CBFan

Visit site
Just wanted to speak about my experience with my horse. Similar size (17hh) and 6 years. He has been lame a few times over the past few months, more short than hopping. The vet had a very quick look and said to rest for a few days and reassess. Has come sound after each period, however has been pretty tense and hot to ride, with pretty decent bucks and leaps! (please see my previous posts for a video)
I opted for nerve blocks and xrays, he been found to have OCD in his stifles. I opted for surgery whilst waiting at the vets for the surgery the referral vet wanted to scope him as she suspected stomach ulcers (none of the 3-4 different vets he has seen previously have even suggested this) after his scope he was found to have pretty serious ulcers. Surgery has been postponed as they feel that the pain in his stomach could be causing the lameness and bucks etc. I have a months course of Gastroguard prior to re-scoping and possibly reassess the lameness as it may not be present.
May not be useful to your current situation, and hopefully yours is nothing serious. But worth discussing with your vets. As advice costs nothing :)

Thank you. I took him in for a gait analysis and Gastroscopy as wasn't sure on the cause of his change in behaviour. Stomach is clear of ulcers. Gait analysis showed up 1/10 lame on left hind. a week later when he went back for nerve blocks, he was sound - grrrr!!! He then had 5 weeks field and Stable rest, been bought back into work slowly but is now showing up lame - much worse on days after he has had two days off. Comes sounder with exercise. I am pretty sure he doesn't have OCD in his stifles as we checked for this when he was younger. vet pretty sure it is soft tissue and I'd be inclined to agree. Don't think a 'lameness workup' is going to work as he comes sounder with work. It will have to be diagnostics in the form of scans / xrays....