Turning out 24/7

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
My welsh d has been a bit nutty lately, he is full of energy, as I'm sure everyones horses are at this time of year! But I think it'd be better for him to be turned out 24/7 as soon as possible, hes super hyper to ride and just jogs about everywhere. He is fully clipped (legs and half head left on) and in on a night, out during the day in a big field with other horses, he has no feed just haylage on a night. He's in a mw turnout without a neck and a hw turnout with a neck at the moment, when would it be ok to turn him out on a night? Obviously i can put thicker rugs on but i don't want to do it if i don't have to.

Clava

Visit site
So he has a hunter clip (minus the saddle patch lol), as long as he is rugged ok, has some shelter (possibly natural) and plenty of forage, I can't see why it would be a problem.

SusieT

Visit site
Yup turn him out. If he drops weight or looks cold, add another rug. I suggest the heavyweight with neck would be appropriate.

TGM

Visit site
I'm sure he will be fine warmth-wise, but my only reservation would be whether he will have enough forage to keep condition on being out 24/7. If you can feed haylage in the field that should be fine, otherwise you may need to wait until the grazing is good enough to support him. (Obviously don't know how much of a good doer your horse is and what your grazing is like!)