Turning out after box rest

ducktails

Visit site
Hello and thankyou in advance for any help.

My pony has been in on 3 weeks box rest (not alot I know compared to some injuries) but thankfully she is now on the mend and I am expecting the vet to give her the thumbs up for turn out on Friday
grin.gif

She is out in a field with 7 others in a fairly big field and even before box rest would quite happily zoom off at a hundred miles per hour when I turned her out.. (which I guess is how the orignial injury was done) anyway I need some advice I have no option of smaller paddocks and pony is a bit of a houdini anyway so turnout will be back into the original field.

What can I do to limit the chances of her injuring her self again the vet has suggested sedation? also what boots would you put on.. I will definately be going for over reach but I am really tempted to wrap her up as much as possible.

any advice welcome..
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
turn out hungry and sedated, as then tummy will take over

But could you not try a smaller electric tape paddock in corner of larger field????

ducktails

Visit site
ko - not really I have asked but do not have the luxury of own grazing the paddocks are what they are. There is a smaller gated bit at bottom of field but horse is bold even after not being boxed in for weeks (she jumped out the school and over a 5ft gate not long back) I just feel if I seperate her she will get wound up and go for it anyway.

Good idea about the hunger though, she is fairly ruled by her tummy anyway.

Annagain

Visit site
Agree with not giving her much to eat before she goes out, if she's hungry she'll just want to eat. Is it possible to take all the other horses out of the field for the first hour except one calm one to keep her company? The best is to turn her out when the others are being ridden, (do people often take them out together at a certain time? e.g only the retired horses are in field at ours by 10.30 on a weekend morning as we're all usually riding then). If they're tired when they come back they won't want to run around with her and wind her up.

kellyeaton

Visit site
put her in a bit of field on her own but so she can see the others maybe try a calmer before you put her out and put some boots on!