Turning out on good grass

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
We are moving to a yard with fresh fields that havnt been grazed since last year. They are currently out all day when the weather is good. If they are in I hand graze them up to 2 hours a day on long lush grass.
I was hoping to get them out for the summer as soon as possible when we move but obviously I can't just chuck them out. Would a few days of being out on the new pasture, 3 - 4 hours be sufficient or would you do mornings out for a week or so? I was stressing enough about the move, then I remembered the grass.... arrghh!!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Honestly I’d start with an hour and build it up..maybe even add some gut protector in feed to avoid a scouring!really loose poo scenario. ..oh and I’m as envious as hell..still in mud bath here 🙂

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Honestly I’d start with an hour and build it up..maybe even add some gut protector in feed to avoid a scouring!really loose poo scenario. ..oh and I’m as envious as hell..still in mud bath here 🙂
Thank you!! We never seem to be happy with whatever we have!! I'm thinking an hour first thing in the morning, then maybe an hour in the evening for a week and increase from there?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Muzzles are the way forward for mine. Never used one until 2 years ago, but they give me peace of mind. I still restrict grazing, but the muzzle is an extra layer of protection while grass is lush.
If I used muzzles how much could I safely extend the grazing period? I've never had to use them before!! I really would love to get them out for mornings at least but not at the expense of them becoming ill.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If I used muzzles how much could I safely extend the grazing period? I've never had to use them before!! I really would love to get them out for mornings at least but not at the expense of them becoming ill.
That would so much depend on the state of the grass, the greed of the horse, the fitting of the muzzle, the metabolism of the horse that I would not dare give a precise answer.

My 'once EMS - not now symptomatic' horse went to grass for the first time this year yesterday. With a muzzle, I gave him a full hour instead of the half hour I would otherwise have done. Were his bloods not now clear, he would have had less time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would get muzzles ordered now you are likely to need them .
I would muzzle and restrict time and access to acreage .

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We fenced a track around the outside with electric, and mob grazed sections. When they got the full way around, we opened up the full track.

Once that started to suffer, we moved the fence line out a few meters.

We didn’t have anything metabolically compromised though, and only had three partbred Arabs.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I would section an area off - an area that wouldn’t take them long to eat down and then gradually increase - you can obviously increase quicker that strip grazing and before it becomes eaten to nothing. I’d do this for a good few weeks before opening it up whilst they get used to it.

MarvelVillis

Visit site
My gelding gets quite sensitive when moving to their summer field in May, so I'll be using a muzzle for the first time this year. He's also on a gut supplement now too. I plan to turn him out for a couple of hours initially and then slowly start extending it. I've also been told that turning out at night is slightly better as the sugar is the grass is lower (don't know the scientific facts around this, just what I've been told!) Good luck for the move