Turning out sweaty horse

SueAllen

Visit site
This might seem like a really stupid question but what harm might my horse come to if, as I have had to do tonight, I have to turn him out after a hard days hunting, without being able to wash him off? He has a trace high clip, got pretty sweaty and came home in a Thermatex so a lot of the moisture was wicked away. He was just slightly damp when he came back home and I had to turn him out in his big thick turnout rug with neck - it was pouring with rain and I currently have nowhere to put him inside to dry out after washing. I will have use of a stable as of Friday but should I be looking to wash him off as thoroughly as possible tomorrow. Sorry to be a numpty but I need to know how much to worry!!
crazy.gif
Would it have been better to wash the dried sweat off and rug him wet or do as I have done, and rug him covered in slightly damp dried sweat??

faerie666

Visit site
He won't come to any harm from what you have done, don't worry
smile.gif
, it would have been far worse to wash him of and turn him out soaking wet. You'll have to give him a really good brush tomorrow though, scrub all the dried sweat with a rubber curry comb, then bodybrush off. Wouldn't bother washing him tomorrow though.
smile.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Unless he is sodden and its bitterly cold, out in a rug is the best place for him after a days hunting.

Always used to turn out when we got home, after a swift injury check they all had rugs on and went out in the field for a good roll and a walk. Cleaning was the next days job!