Turning out?

Victoria25

Visit site
What does everyone do in terms of turn out for pregnant mares?
My girls is now on day 319 and not bagging up as such (although they are a bigger) …

She’s been in since December due to a leg injury but she can wander around the barn when Im there … in the last week though Ive let her out during the day to let off a bit of steam (whilst weather is nice/ground is dry) which she has done but Im just wondering at what stage to keep her in (to foal) … shes just in the smaller field with my very laid back 4 year old TB and another older (20+) TB.

Ive had an area in the main field fenced off for mum/baby when its born – think she’d be better in there during the day just in case?
x

rach81

Visit site
Not an expert but my mare who foaled last year was out all day every day - ( except when it got very hot and brought her in over the hottest part of day ) . The girl I have due in may will do the same . Good luck

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We put our mare into a clean and rested smallish paddock 8 weeks before due date. She had access to an open fronted large shelter that had been deeply bedded with straw.

(Prior to this she had been living out with another older mare). Over the eight weeks she developed a routine, using the shelter to rest and she foaled in there. We watched her on cctv through the last few weeks and that was a great help in getting to know her routine.

At no point did we restrict her freedom, she did slow right down and the last few days she stood on a high point in the paddock that let her look all over the farm, almost as if she was on high alert for danger.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mine always came in at night as that suits the set up of our yard but where out all day some liked short days out others dawn to dusk I did adjust what I did suit each mare to keep them settled and happy.
Let your mare tell you what's best for her.

hayinamanger

Visit site
My in foal mares have always been kept in their normal routine right up to foaling. They need to be able to graze and move around as they see fit, exercise should not be restricted.
Watch her udder carefully, it will change on a daily basis. Most mares, but not all, will wax up, you will see the wax on the ends of her teats and this means that she will foal within 24 hours. This is the night that I will bring the mare in and monitor her quietly throughout the night.
Once the mare has safely foaled and the foal is up and sucking, mine have always gone out the next morning, weather permitting.
Good luck.

Victoria25

Visit site
Thanks guys ...

After leaving her out for a few hours at weekend shes been following me back to the barn and standing in there eating her nets so I may just keep the others seperate (one in stable/other in main field with the others) and leave her stable door open so she can go out/come in as she wants ... no signs of waxing as yet ... giddy as a kipper at the moment ... still prancing around the field :rolleyes: poor baby :eek: x

mynutmeg

Visit site
My girl is 10 months and in her usual winter routine of out all day and in at night. She'll stay like this until after the foal is here. This way she'll be in (most likely) to foal and still gets her exercise

Victoria25

Visit site
Well this is what Im hoping to do too but just worried that she'll pop it out during the day when the other two are with her ... :eek:

Spring Feather

Visit site
My broodmares live out 24/7/365 except on the day that they test that they are going to foal within 24 hours and then that mare comes in at night time and out again during the day. My foaling boxes are in their field and they all know to go there even if they go into labour through the day. I like the mare and her newborn to be back out with the herd as soon as possible so often later that day if the foal is born in the morning. If it's born in the evening then I keep mum and foal in until the morning when they go back out with their herdmates.

Gucci_b

Visit site
I left my mare out 27/7 and the last 3 weeks I brought her in at nights. I think its very good for them to exercise as much as possible and have a munch on the grass. Then after foaling she snd foal was out in the afternoon.

mynutmeg

Visit site
My girl is out with friends just now but will be separated a week or two before her 'due' date so if she does foal during the day there is no risk from field mates

Victoria25

Visit site
Hi nutmeg, me too I think - my two weeks before due date is this weekend argh so she can have a trial run in her new field :D

mynutmeg

Visit site
Mines due may 15th but last exam vet reckoned may 4th so am going to split her last week or two of April I think - better early than too late :)